• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first foot on first ice do you stomp on it .

robert1965

I use the chisel, two chops and no water your good to go, one chop and seeping water It's a little early, one chop and all the way through, It's back to shore asap. For everyone that sends the buddy out first, don't forget that the ice may be strong enough for one person but after that person has passed he may have put enough stress onto it that it may not be strong enough to support the next guy, first ice can be fun with excellent rewards, but it's certainly not worth a life, just be prepared and use the common sense that we were given.

I carry a 2 foot solid steel bar that used to be part of a horse shoe set. I think heavy and fairly small surface area contacting the ice is most important. I have stood on ice that my bar went through in one swing; time to start slowly walking backwards.

Do you people that use a "chisel" just use the one that you clear off th eice on your side walk? is a heavier bar better? how about the width of the tip?

I use a ice fishing chisel (spud) that is home made by a friend that is around 5' long with a beveled tip that is around 2" wide. I guess it is sorta old school but back when it was the only way to cut a hole (pre motorized augers)in the ice. I just give it a poke in the ice and then one more in the same spot. I want it to take at least 3 before it brings up any water or its time to turn around. The first couple of trips the seat cushion life preserver is close at hand and is always along on every trip along with 50' of rope.

I use what's nicknamed the spud bar as well, homemade as well, steel bar prob 5' long with a sharpened wedged end probably 2-3" in length. They can get a little heavy after awhile but they are worth it.

I don't recall if I weighed it, measured like 28" if I remember, caught it last ice season. CPR for another day. My guess is probably about 9lbs or so.

Do you people that use a "chisel" just use the one that you clear off th eice on your side walk? is a heavier bar better? how about the width of the tip?

I just use the longest cheapo crow bar that Menards sells. I walk along with it like a cane smacking the ice every few steps. Works good for me.