• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

British Lab vs Golden Retriever?

portageman

I want a lab. The wife and daughter want a golden. We need a good upland dog, but also a nice indoor family pet. Post your input, but try to keep it to these two breeds. We have narrowed it down to these two - please dont tell me to look at Springers, Brittanys, GSp's, etc.

So which is it?

#1 factor depends on the breeder. I think there is little difference in tempermant and ability between the breeds as long as they are bred for hunting. Long hair in the upland could be a pain in the rear with sticks and burrs getting tangled.

If you want a brit lab and find a breeding that you like after doing some research, take them both to visit and play with the puppies. I'd be willing to bet you go home with one.

I'd have to vote for the Golden .Biased because I have a 6 yr Golden male and he is a treat .My hunting buddy has a black Lab which is also a great dog .They hunt well together , only down side to the Golden is getting the burrs out if you are in that kind of an area , but I just crush them with a pliers and it really is not much of a problem .Both are very friendly , tough decision , both great choices . Im thinking who takes care of it most of the time should have most of the decision , or two votes to one , you lose, get the Golden .

Thanks guys. I would sure like to read some more opinions. I laughed when I read Budman because I say I get to pick because I will be taking care of it, The girls say they win 2 to 1.

Also, Fishingbuddy - I would have been more than happy to babysit on 10/11, but now I will have to pass.......

Tuff decision, I have two Brit labs hunting machines (good lines) so said the people I bought them from. One is 7 one is 1 1/2. I am a lab guy. My brother in law has and incredible golden. Both my dogs and his are well trained. Seems his golden needs less attention. I can only say that I think my dogs have more personality than his but that could be because their mine. I think my labs are more from hunting lines where his dog is like the #1 family house dog ever. My labs have that 5 minutes of caos when I first get home, like I have been gone for 3 months every single day. After that its fine. Good luck dont think you can go wrong in either choice. especially if you get a lab...LOL

Portageman- I think rcook72 hit the nail on the head when he said: "Good luck dont think you can go wrong in either choice." I own both a lab and golden. They both have characteristics that stand out - but I would say more because of their unique personalities than their breed. Both are good family pets; both are more than adequate in the field.

I suggest you consider the following when picking the breed of your new pup:

1. are you willing to put in the time to train it properly (if so - you will have an adequate hunter)

2. do you have your family's support with the breed you choose (if so - you will have help raising your pup - which is priceless in the long run)

3. are you willing to put your preconceived notions aside about the ins and outs of each breed (if so - you will have a healthy working relathionship with your individual dog)

oh and FYI - my golden has retrieved more birds than my lab, but i'm not really counting

Have fun and enjoy the process of adding a new member to your family.

I was in the same boat 7 years ago. I wanted a lab and the wife wanted a golden. The wife of course won. Doing my research I found that goldens actually have the best noses of all the retrieving breeds. And they are the best of all dogs for the home IMHO. My female has proven that to me many times over. Not taking anything away from a good lab, as they are also an excellent upland dog. In my opinion labs shine in the water where their heavier coats keep them warm. But in the pheasant fields, and grouse woods. The golden shines. Being involved in a couple retriever clubs I deal with one breeder who is awesome that I would recomend you calling. If you want to know email me. You won't be disapointed in the golden if you do your research in a good breeder.

I will put in another plug for the british lab. I have one. She is a great dog. She loves to hunt, has an insaitable desire to retrieve. She has a great temperment, always wants to please. She is a pretty mellow dog. The british labs have all the great lab features but in a smaller package.

If you are looking on information on breeders I could give you some on the kennel I got my pup from. Shoot me an email if you would like the info:

[email protected]

Put me down as another vote for the labs. as long as it is a british lab. I have owned two goldens and a black american lab befor this dog and I cant believe the difference. Very smart and trainable, still a lab but the most mellow lab I've seen and the pure physical ability is unreal. The best way I can desribe it is to compare a pro athlete to the average guy the way he can run and jump and all from a smaller package.

To be fair though this was the first dog I bought from a breeder that has a professional set up and before allways got dogs from a family that might have some for sale at a good price. I allways said I would never pay that much for a dog because it couldnt be that big of a difference to justify the high price

but boy was I wrong. Honestly I've never met a guy with a british lab thats been dissapointed. cant say that about the other dogs. But then again it might have something to do with the british seem to be somewhat newer and have more responsible people breeding them with consideration to the bloodlines and traits they posess.

I don't know about the Brits but I can say that the Goldens are one of the nicest dogs for all around. But they also have a couple of issues that can cause problems, as I am sure most breeds do also. Goldens are prone to develop allergies and cancer is also a little more of an issue than most other breeds. We just put down our 3rd Golden this morning. This one was 8 years old, the other 2 before him only made it to 7. This one developed cancer, the one before him cancer also and the one before him died from congestive heart failure as a result of lupas. Again, they are great dogs, hunt well with minimal training and are truely a great family dog. But next dog will not be a Golden.....to hard to part with them every 7 or 8 years.

Casey, stop by with your dog sometime so I can see it.