• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's not always about the fish...

titelines

I went fishing this past weekend and had some things become clear.

I spent 9 hours on the water. It was cold, the wind was strong and I got a total of three bites all day. No fish in the boat. It was frustrating and upsetting. After all, isn't Fall fishing supposed to be great??

I was pretty upset as I started the one hour drive back home. What was I going to tell my wife when she asked me how my day was?? I began to think about my day.

Well, it started with a beautiful sunrise over Lake Superior as I started my drive to the lake.

Then there was the moose sighting along Highway 2.

Then I thought about the 2 wolves I saw crossing Highway 15 in Bassett. I slowed when I approached the spot where they had crossed. To my surprise, they were standing right there, a traditional gray/silver timber wolf and a black one (the first one I have ever seen). I stopped and we stared at each other for awhile.

Then I thought about how nice it was when the sun came out after a cold, dreary morning. Sure the wind was still blowing hard, but how nice it was to be out in that sunlight. Not to mention that I pretty much had the lake to myself.

Late in the day, I anchored to try a slip bobber. I couldn't see it through the cattails, but the moose was sloshing around in the shallows, no more than 30 feet away.

Then there was the fox that greeted me at the landing, like a dog that's happy to see you when you get home. He circled me and sat next to my truck, watching me trailer the boat and pack up my belongings. I had to toss a couple suckers to him so I could get back in my truck and pull the boat out of the water.

Finally, there was the largest Bald Eagle I have ever seen, feeding on some road kill right off the road. I couldn't believe the size and majesty of it!

So, as I dodged deer all the way home, I had to smile. Sure, I hadn't caught any fish, but does that mean the day was a waste? Far from it. It was a great day and, instead of being upset; I was happy and thankful for all that I experienced.

Totally agree, great story ... I love just being out on the water, working the challenge of learning different fishin techniques, trying to find fish, and enjoying the company of whoever I am fishing with. Catching fish is an added bonus.

The wifeski can't quite relate ... especially the catch & relesae part.

You are right, it is not always about the fish. Great story. Wish you had some pictures to go along with it. Sounds like a day you will remember for quite some time, even without any fish.

Funny you say that. The first thing I told my wife was that I'll never go out without a camera again.

to this day I couldnt care one bit if I get as much as a nibble. I dont know how many times I Just drop anchor, turn on the tunes and strech out on the casting deck and enjoy the moment.

To me it's out being in nature. Just relaxing to be out holding the rod, listening to the waves lap against the boat. You feel the bite and it gets your heart thumping pretty good. But for me it's about relaxation.

Fishing is always good, sometimes catching sucks grin Believe me I like to catch fish, but most of the time I am going with people whose company I enjoy, so If the fish ain't biting I can enjoy the company and just being outdoors(we do fish outdoors right?) and on the water whether it is a lake, small pond, a river or a stream. Catching fish does make it better, but the fishing is always good.

I found myself doing this on my last trip. I snapped some pics of the lake to remember how nice it was. There are no homes/cabins on the lake and it's very relaxing. There were only 4 of us on the lake in 2 boats.

Our 2 trucks at the "launch"

DCP_2370.jpg

Friends in the other boat

DCP_2371.jpg

"Nothing"

DCP_2372.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly! I have been getting out almost everyday in October on a small lake with only 6 houses on it. It has been pure nirvana watching the leaves turning and the falling. Fishing has been spotty, some days dynamite, some days nada, but I wouldn't trade this last month for anything. Yesterday I winterized the boat and tucked it away even though it was pushing 60 here. I had so many other things to get done I couldn't justify going once more. Looking forward to hardwater now!!!

I agree. Many times I choose my destination on the views instead of the bites. Nothing beats fall when you have it all to yourself with a chill in the air that promises more good times to come. Here's a couple shots from two days ago;

only caught one fish (a dandy though) but had a fantastic day.

31329694kf7.jpg

80441152lc9.jpg

64099284jm4.jpg

you're exactly right. It's not about how many fish are boated, but the experience as a whole. That's something that I hope my son picks up on when he gets old enough to bring a long.

While deer hunting earlier this fall, I had more enjoyment watching the bald eagles flying over a gut pile, a bobcat that circled my stand, and watching a pine squirrel litteraly sit on the end of my barrel. It's the ability to get out, away from it all, that makes it enjoyable.

Believe it or not, some of the fellas I fish with, still think a trip is a bust, if there isn't a mountain of fish to show for it....poor guys, they miss out on alot and at this point in their lives, I doubt they can be taught to see the forest, instead of just the trees! "Why are you in such a good mood? We hardly caught anything....froze our butts off for what?"

I've caught alot of fish in my life, some nice ones to and I continue to do so and it is always nice....but it is not the total gauge of the trip.....it isn't essential. There are so many things, so many and if it's just the fish, then someone is missing out on so much more then they know.

I for one bring back something good each and everytime I go out, it wasn't always like that, took me awhile to learn...to see the forest and not just the trees!