• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My "Vex" Ice Box MOD

chad austin

I want to start off saying I still live in the stone

age and do not own a digital camara so I will try and explain

this as good as I can.

Last year a bunch of guys from work and myself took a trip

to LOW. My good friend "joe" had most of the gear on

his wheeler and all I had to carry on mine was the cooler

on the back and "joe's" vexilar and a vex I borrowed from my nieghbor in the front basket.

Well after a full day on the ice and plenty of refreshments

I might have got a little heavy on the throttle going over pine island and "joes" transducer goes overboard, wrapping around the front drive axle. So we go to the local bait shop and get another transducer, the new transducer keeps falling out of the holder but survived the rest of the weekend.

So this fall I bought myself a vex and not wanting to buy

another transducer I did the following:

1. Drilled a 1 5/8" hole on the right hand side of the "ice box"in back of the unit (but in front of the handle)

2. Bought a 1 1/2" extension tail piece for plumbing (it's

what you would use to extend a drain down to the trap)

and glued it in the hole

3. On the extension piece their is a compression nut

and a compression washer on the inside, just loosen up

the nut, insert transducer, give the nut a 1/4 turn

and she's locked and loaded(BTW this only works on transducers

that are 1 1/2" around)

Sorry I took so long to get to the point, This is the

BEST SITE I'VE SEEN YET!!!

Sounds like a good idea.

Welcome to FM/HSO.

Since you've found your way aboard, now you need to go get that digital camera and start sharing some pictures. Especially that mod, I'd like to see it.

I too would like to see a picture of that. This time of year before the ice season starts it is fun to see what modifications people do to either make their fishing more fun or more effective. Here is a picture of a vexilar box I made last year.

It has my aqua vu, vexilar, uv led glow charger on top of the case, and a flexible vexilar light as well. I just wanted everything in one case so I could grab it and go when I actually had a chance to go fishing.

IMG_0722-1.jpg

That is a sweet deal! Is the stuff basically "stuck" in there or does it function to where you could open it to take the Vexy out say you were hole hopping? Awesome concept though. I would love to be able to look in one spot and see the vex plus the camera screen. I like the switches too!!

yeah, the vex does not come out easy enough to use it by itself. I think it weighs about 10 pounds or so. When I made it I was concerned about weight because I do a lot of run and gun fishing but at the same time I wanted everything together in one unit to help stay organized. It seemed like I always tripping over something in the portable. To me it seemed like the best of both worlds. Only problem, if I want to get a different camera, etc.. I would have to redo some of the case