• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Hunt '08

mnmuzzleloader

I'm hoping to get out for a bit in the morning, but am getting ready for an out of state hunt in a couple days. Doesn't leave much time between now and then with all that needs to get done before I can go.

Gonna hit it hard after I get back though. grin

Saw 13 with beards last night - just got behind the barn and stepped out to open a gate and there were 7.....in shotgun range, I had no gun along cry I knew by the time I got the bow and release and arrows out they'd be out of range so I climbed back in the truck and kept going.

Got over the ridge about 30 seconds later and another group of 6 was farting around in the pasture under some apple trees. Both groups were a mix of this springs jakes with say 5" beards and the others dandies.

I have this Fri off for the zone T hunt, might have to take the shotgun for a walk between morning and evening hunts grin

Me and my girlfriend each got one on Wedsday. SHe got a jake and I poked a hen with my bow. We only had one afternoon so we shot the first chance we had. I snuck up on a flock of 15 or so and we almost stepped on a group that was working the river bank. We hunted 262.

I took my nine year old daughter out on Friday morning. We set up in a hay field next to a corn field where we have seen turkeys using the area. Just after 8:00 eleven hens walked out of the woods and came straight to us. I thought she might want to wait for a Tom but the sight of those turkeys changed her mind instantly. She picked out the closest one at about twenty yards and dropped it clean with her 20 gauge. I got it on video and now she is showing it to all of her friends who come over. On a side note she also got two green heads on Monday morning, between the tail fan and the green head she is going to fill up her room and empty my wallet pretty quick.

Didn't make it out until Thursday night due to the rain. Got out of my truck about 5:00, shot a hen at about 5:40, something like that. Saw them on a ridge when I pulled in my buddies driveway. We knew where they were going to head to roost, so I circled around & cut them off. Didn't actually hit her as good as I would have liked. She tried to fly off to the roost & then gave out & crashed about 40' down through the branches. It made a pretty good racket.

mrklean in the fall the toms and jakes all group up same w/ the hens and young ones. very rarely males will gobble and ive never called or used decoys for them during the fall. you have to scout out the area ur going to hunt and find where they are feeding and then set up and wait for them to come through feeding. when in the spring if ur not familar w/ spring hunting the males fight over the hens and u can call and use decoys

My partner Gary shot these in So. Dak. a couple weeks ago. These we just two of 7 birds we shot in a week. They were mostly taken in their roost areas.

DSC01792.jpg

This is one of mine. mmmmmmm.

DSC01777.jpg

Just a few days left, anyone still after 'em?

I had several around be this weekend while bowhunting, but no chance for a shot. Should be able to get out a couple more times with the shotgun.