• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice rods

harvey lee

Looking to add to ones ice fishing rod arsenal? Here are two of the finer rod builders on Fishing MInnesota. Check them out. From baitcasters to the spinning line up and from ultra lites to the heavy rods for the monster lakers, these two can build what you will need.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/rods.html

http://www.jasonmitchellrods.com/ice.html

Cabella's XML series rod and combo's are also excellent quality and performance in my opinion. Combo's come with a reel that I think is actually made by Pflueger. Only wish they had some longer version for outdoor use.

Saw the on their bargain cave at a great price.

Never tried a JM, but it is tought to find a better dead stick rod than TBs. Spendy but worth it.

Last year I added a JM Meatstick to my Thorne Bros collection and for the money it was a quality rod. I say was because somehow it broke inside my hard case. I'll probably replace it this winter but what I don't understand is to have it replaced under warrenty (half the new price + $20) it would cost me more than if I just go out and get another one?? confused I paid $28 for it at Cabelas and it would be $34 thru JM to get it repaired/replaced. Go figure.

I have quite a few JM ice rods. I just picked up a couple new perch rods and a couple spring bobber rods. Can't wait to try em out.

The cool thing about the JM rods is that a guy can get into a very high quality rod, at a price a working class slob like myself can afford.

i do have a couple genz stix but thier not my go to rods the handles are light and little a real big plus when strokin pannies the reels are not that great on the combos so i would buy a replacement when ya buy the combo

Recently picked up a coulpe Genz rods cheap on hsolist and they seem pretty nice to me. The ones I got were medium lights so we'll see how they work. Bought them to use as backups to the Thorn Bros. and St.Croix's I already have. One question, does anyone have any of Scotty's Custom rods and what are your impressions??

Hey all, just wanted to let people know... If going to buy genz rods this year they will be different. Nature Vision, the company that makes the Aqua-Vu used to make the rods for Mr.Genz.. this is not longer the case for 08'. Mr.Genz will be making his own rods this year. Nature Vision will release their own rods this year as well, that will be of very good quality for the price. They will be called Rip City rods...

I just didnt want anyone to go buy the Genz rods and have them be as described above. The old genz rods were nice for the money, and I expect Mr Genz to make a very good rod for himself, I am interested to see how they are. I also expect the Rip City rods to be quite good as well.

not a commercial post, just keep the information as an FYI.

I have several of the older Genz Rods from when they 1st came out with the bigger eyes. Those were a better rod than the previous small eyed ones in my opinion. The last Genz rods didnt thrill me. Im anxious to see what the rips cities look like.

If you can find some older Yad rods those were awesome rods for the money. Very very simular to the Genz rods I liked. Maybe even the same blank etc.

I've never had any quality combos because I have never taken icefishing too seriously, but I hope to this year. I've been looking at getting a few Jason Mitchells this year and will probably be putting on Tica Cetus reels. Haven't figured out which models on anything yet because I want to get my hands on them before I put money down for 'em.