• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many pins are you using?

Swill

The ethical shot thing that was posted sort of bothered me.

Like I said though, things would have to be perfect for me to shoot at 50 yards. We all know that perfect conditions don't come along very often. I'd much prefer the 20 yard broadside shot. Of course, I could miss from 20 yards also. laugh

Thats so true. One can practice at 40-50 but thats at a target. In the woods, with a nice deer standing out there at that range, many things can happen at those farther distances. I have tried many questionable shots and thats usually what they end up to be at best is questionable.

I agree but there is a limit that the hunter himself cannot define as far as the ethical shot is concerned. Just because a guy can put an arrow into a pie plate at 75 yards doesn't mean that it will have enough energy left to kill a deer at that distance...I would say that 99% of bowhunters know their limitations though.

I'm with Harvey on this one. I've shot a one pin pendulum for 4-5 years. I had a one pin adjustable for probably 5 years before that. I couldn't remember which pin to use half the time, so I eliminated that.

I've missed plenty of shots & made bad hits on others too. They were due to anything from incorrect yardage estimates, to bad shooting form, to a branch you didn't see, the deer moving randomly at release, you name it.

I'm with Koonie,

I don't use a 10 yard pin, NEVER had, I go 20,30 ,40,50,,,but really no need for anything more then a 30 for the stands I hunt, but the 40 and 50 pins are REALLY nice for bunnies... I want to buy a floating pin with dial, just to play around with 90 yards and such, the way I do it now is just back-up the above pins,,,

I was told that the newer faster bows ares acurate to 30 yards and one pin is all you need uless you shoot more than 30 yards.

Just got back in from target shooting. I have 5 pins set up at 10 yards each. A 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.

Is that a normal set up?

Also, was there not a simple rule of thumb when you have to more or adjust your pins? I seem to be accurate right now, but it would be go to know.

Thanks

I tried a first generation pendulum sight for a season. It wasn't for me. I haven't checked out any of the later versions though. It sounds like they may have improved??

I've been a "one pin at 30" shooter with my Matthews for a long time and have felt pretty confident with it. Also I have liked the clearer sight picture. However, I have practiced more this year on a 3D range than any other year and have decided I need to give a three pin set up a try.

But what to do when your budget has a strangle hold on your purchasing?

Thank you Neighbor_guy for leaving the like new 3 pin sight in the truck tool box! cool

I put it on today and zeroed the 30 pin. Off to the range tomorrow to set it up at 10, 30, and 50.

I've practiced out to 60 this year with one pin. My arrow drop is equal to one arrow length at 60 with my 30 pin. I don't like that much estimation. *note* I don't plan to make setups for long range either, but one of my hunt spots is on the edge of a large field and the deer can come by anywhere from 20 to ???? Last year I watched a 10 pointer stand there, out of my comfort zone for at least 2 minutes. Clear and broadside. I need to stretch my comfort zone a bit.

I practiced out of all the stands we set up last weekend. I put the decoy/target on the spot we set up for and shot from the stand both sitting and standing. I found that my form is making me shoot a good 3 inches higher while sitting rather than standing at 20-25 yards. Good to know.

It was an eye opener practicing at a life size target in your actual hunting set up.

I guess I am the one who made the ethical shot comment. What I meant by that was to keep your shots in yoru comfort zone. Everyone has a different skill level with a bow so you should know your limitations. With flatter shooting bows many people can shoot much further and more accurate and that is a good thing. However, like many have said there is a big different between have a nice group at a target 50-60 yards away and shooting an animal. Everyone and especialy the newer bow hunters need to know that a gust of wind, a small branch, buck fever, the deer taking a casual step, jumping the string, or being a little off form could end in a bad shot and wounded deer.

I probably should have known what you meant actually. I just see so many forums where people think their opinion should qualify as other peoples' ethics. It's not bad on this site so I should have sat back and thought about where I was posting. The old ethics question is such a slippery one to handle.

On my sight I have 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, & 70 yard pins, and I shoot out to 100 yards I am pretty sure I would never take a first shot over 40 yards, but even at twenty yards you may flich, hit a branch, deer may jump the string. If the deer runs a ways and stops I know that my bow will do out to 100 yards. So if need be I can send another arrow his way and feel pretty confident I can hit him. Also shooting at longer distances makes you a better shot at short range. Spent 2 hours on Sunday shooting 70 yards in 30- 40 mph winds. Shot Monday at 20 yards, felt like a could touch the target.

Brian

I use a 6 pin set-up from 10 to 60 in 10 yard increments.

I do this for mainly the 3D shoots the wife and I attend, as far as hunting I do leave all the pins on, but a 20-25 yard shot I feel to me is my "Dead Red Zone". The conditions would have to be utmost perfect for me to risk a 40 yard plus shot, I feel I owe it to myself and the deer if I am going to shoot at the deer I need to put it in the boiler room, there is enough things that could go wrong in the woods already.

I would like to give my opinion on something earlier stated, like I said this is my opinion. Anyone that says they only need 1 pin out to 20 to 30 yards is not being very accurate with thier sighting in or are doing alot of compensating when shooting, I have friends that are shooting this extremely fast bows and they tell me if I want to be knocking bottle caps off targets at 10, 20 and 30 it requires more than 1 pin.