• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Securing Electronics In The Boat

Sandmannd

Question

Here's my question. I have to store my boat outdoors and covered. I have a new Lowrance 522c as well as an x15 in the boat. I take them both out after each outing. Do any of you have to do this? Has anyone found a way to secure them in the boat from theft?

13 answers to this question

The only way to secure them from theft is to remove them from sight Shane. There is nothing you can do that will keep a theif from stealing your stuff if they really want it. Best way to do it is not let them see it. It sucks but its the only way.

Yep, take them out. Even though it's covered, it would only take a few seconds to cut through and grab whatever is available. I've been parking my boat in the garage this year so I don't have to deal with covering it etc.

Yea, that's what I'm doing, just dind't know if anyone had ways of locking them on or anything. Dang crooks. I want to get my garage cleared out and see if I can fit it in there.

So I knew this guy several years ago that had trouble keeping a CB radio in his car. He lost a few due to theft.

He came up with this solution: he attached several fish hooks to the underside of the radio with steel leader. Sure enough, one night he hears a scream coming from his driveway. He walks out and there is the crook caught "red handed". At least that is what he claims.

Trouble with that idea is you probable would go to jail before the crook.

I like to take mine in not just to protect from theft but to protect from humidity and moisture. I know there water water proof but condensation does occur and it cant be good for electronics. I think that's how my last one went down

Removing your electronics is the safest means to protect them from being stolen.

DuraSafe makes some locks that will go on both the gimbal brackets and Ram Mounts. Cabela's sells them. It is an option, but like the masses have stated here removing them is your best bet.

http://www.durasafelocks.com/products/marine/marine-el-UEL1.html

No matter what if you leave them in the boat they will eventually get stolen. Putting these locks on the knobs etc. only makes thieves work harder and break more to get them out.

If you like your electronics and want to keep them take them out when you leave the boat outside.

Yea, it's not a huge hassle and it takes a small amount of time to take them out and put them in. I just thought maybe there was something out there if say I pulled in one night and was going out again the next day. I'll just continue what I was doing which is taking them out. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I secure my x102, LMS 520 and two globalmaps in the house when I'm not on the water. The cost to replace these units far outweights the inconvienence of taking them out everytime. It's a small price to pay.

DuraSafe offers a few good options for security of head units and RAM mounts.

i017541sq01.jpg

I highly recommend double lock nuts on the RAM base mounts in conjunction with the DuraSafe locks. It keeps the thieves from removing the whole electronics installation with a screwdriver. You will be surprised at how many overlook this when installing the base.