• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Rod

Sandmannd

Hey guys,

I want to get more into catting. What is a decent, inexpensive rod combo to get for it. What type of line do you put on?

I want to jump back to the original question for a second here... But I do like the new combo there Dark. Very nice!!

Head to Cabelas HSOforum, and type in "King Kat" in the search box. You'll pull up a few combos. They have a King Kat baitcasting combo as well as the spinning combo.

The King Kat/Salt Striker spinning combo that has been talked about is listed as:

- Salt Striker SBF-50 Baitrunner/King Kat Spinning Combo

Price is $64.98 (with a free hat)

I would HIGHLY recommend Rod Model 'CKKS802', its an 8' Medium Heavy 2 piece rod.

If you are looking for a baitcasting setup, Cabelas has a good option as well:

- Abu Garica Ambassadeur CB 6600/King Kat Casting Combo

Price is $89.98

Once again, I'd HIGHLY recommend the 8' Medium Heavy 2 piece rod, model #'CKKC08'

If you want to check some rods out in person, Moore's Bait & Tackle has the best selection of Catfish Rods in the upper midwest. Bob has the Ugly Stick Catfish & Tiger rods, Night Sticks, Surge Trophy Cat, Quantum Big Cat, Moyer Boss, Berkley Glowstick, and my absolute new favorite Catfish Safari rods.

If you are looking for inexpensive, I think you have to go the Cabelas route. If you are looking for something a bit better, go talk with Bob @ Moore's but you'll probably be spending $120 for a combo minimum. Bob's prices on cat gear are very competitive on the good stuff.

Nice rig there Dark.

I've been looking at the Penn Captiva Live Liner. How is that one different than the Slammer? I've found a pretty good deal on that Captiva 50 series for about $50 new. I didn't realize there were multiple models of Live Liners.

Quote:
If you are looking for a baitcasting setup, Cabelas has a good option as well:

- Abu Garica Ambassadeur CB 6600/King Kat Casting Combo

Price is $89.98

Once again, I'd HIGHLY recommend the 8' Medium Heavy 2 piece rod, model #'CKKC08'

Side note when purchasing this combo (I just found out) and to get the combo discount: You have to go to the rod rack and pick rod out, then go to the reel desk and ask for the reel. Then when you pay, the register see's the two items purchased and makes the discount. It is not a put together type combo we see on the rod rack.

I have been in bella's a millon times this spring and went to the combo rod display area and never seen this combo on the rack, with the other combo.

I was wondering how I could have missed this combo grin. The guys at the reel desk are good, but they knew what I was looking for and never brought this up.

Another reason why Bob at Moores is a great stop at shop. He knows what catt'in is about and what he has to offer.

I have been using a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 for years, holds up well, beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of it and it still works super. I use it mostly for Shoot fishing or Cork'n in Canada rigged with 65# Power Pro. Fine rig for most any heavy work on cats.

I have several rods I swap her out on, depending on what is up. The 9' Berkley Glow Stick is more often than not it's companion. Pulled many a ton of kitty's with that rig.

When long cast and fast line pick-up is what I need, I break out old "Shemamoth" and let her fly.

Hard act to follow? Don't follow me..I'm lost too grin

This Penn is the first HD spinning rig I've owned. The rod is one beefy stick at only 7'. We'll see how she goes. I'm still chasin walleyes for now...found a bunch eating on bullheads tonight.

I know this threas is about rods but I'm looking for a little info on reels.

I have an extra Abu 6500 C4 which I'm thinking will work out well for catting. But I'm also looking for a bait running spinning reel and finding many different saltwater ones out there. These buggers are heavy! Many in the 22-25 oz range. Are these too big? The salt striker I was using in Darren's boat I'd swear was in less than 20 oz.

Yes, they are heavy, but so are the big Baitcaster we use.

Generally you will be fine with a 40/4000 series reel but I would recommend a 50/5000 or bigger.

Check these out:

Shimano Baitrunner

Penn Live Liner

Okuma Epixor

These buggers are heavy! Many in the 22-25 oz range. Are these too big? The salt striker I was using in Darren's boat I'd swear was in less than 20 oz.

I am guessing you were looking at some 60 series or bigger spinning reels, which are gargantuan (>20 ounces). I would recomend a 50 series if you're looking at Okuma, or whatever looks to be roughly the same size in a different brand. I think the 50 series okuma epixor is 18 ounces. The 55 series salt striker is like 16.3 ounces, pretty similar to the 50 okuma epixor.

I have had good success with a very large variety of reels.

I have caught flatheads on a pflueger bass fishing baitcaster(no clicker), a quantum baitcaster(no clicker), a $14 shimano 2000 (black plastic reel-no clicker), a shimano sidestab(no clicker), a pair of old 70's vintage Daiwa spinning reels (no clicker), a salt striker 50 series (clicker), A pair of okuma epixors both 50 series, an old Pinnacle spinning reel (used to have clicker), a garcia 6600 C4 (clicker), etc.

Some work better than others...and I still fish with all of the above mentioned reels on occasion. The old Daiwa reels have put some serious fish in the boat this year including a couple sturgeon at the excursion this spring.

I truly like the epixor/salt striker the best for most situations. I have had to replace parts on both of mine this year and the gear that engages/disengages the clicker seems to be suspect on these reels as well as the handle shafts. The specs on the reels show that the handles on the 65's have a significantly larger diameter.....so I would recommend upgrading to the 65's if you have that option.

The 6600 C4 is a good all around reel also. Clicker is a little week and adjustment isn't as easy as the spinning reel clickers.

I am a firm believer that any rod with some backbone and whatever reel you want to use can catch these fish with heavy enough line (65 or 80 braided). A poor drag can derate the line strength so I always used the 80 with the cheaper reels and have landed several 40 plus fish with 80 pound line on the cheap little shimano 2000's.

Being creative and having some frankenstein gear is what catfishing is all about in my mind. Once you are comfortable in your ability to catch fish....then you can upgrade to something a little nicer.

For a solid spinning reel with a clicker the epixor, salt striker, avenger reels are excellent. The epixor ($75-80) is a little better quality than the salt striker ($55-60) which is a little better than the avenger ($40-50). As you would expect, you get what you pay for, but all three can put some big fish in the boat in the hands of an experienced fisherman.

Aanderud has put some pigs up with his Avenger.....

Thanks guys. I was cruising Ebay's saltwater stuff. Lots of those bigger reels on there. I don't plan on making a lot of cat trips so I don't want to break the bank but still want good gear.

dtro,

I hear you have a hand built 8 1/2' MH graph glass comp from midwest. Do you like it?

Yes, I really like it. It is a bit undersized for the big Flats, but will work in a pinch.

When it comes to Channels and Sturgeon, it's tough to beat.

I built the same rod that Dtro has and have been happy with it. I also believe the the rod is somewhat light for a 30# flathead or a larger sturgeon. I have caught 55" sturgeon and 39# flathead using it and it performed well but, it is somewhat light in the action for these larger fish. I would purchase something with a bit more backbone in it to help tire the fish.

Now, for a channel rod, it may just be the ticket.

Well I have a Kat King 8" MH with the Salt striker 50 combo on backorder and should have the samr rod in the casting model on the way. Should be set soon with other terminal tackle also on the way.

Are you guys using the Gamakatsu 10/0 Octi with the straight shaft or the upturned eye?

Originally Posted By: Captain Fireman
dtro,

I hear you have a hand built 8 1/2' MH graph glass comp from midwest. Do you like it?

Yes, I really like it. It is a bit undersized for the big Flats, but will work in a pinch.

When it comes to Channels and Sturgeon, it's tough to beat.

I bought the same blank, I think I will build it casting. They also had a 10'H action but I thout it would be a little long. I liked the action of it, but the blank was HEAVY.

So I ordered a 7'10"H 44 mil modulas salt water/muskie blank.

Thats more my style.

What a bummer! Just got this email this morning as the status of one of my new catting rigs when from backordered to gone. frown

CABELA'S SALT STRIKER BF 50 - KING KAT SPIN COMBO CKKS802

Item number: IJ - 119463

Canceled/Discontinued

Looks like my search for a spinning combo continues.

Borch, you should just go to the store. They don't have the combo put together, but just show them the online ad, then they will piece it together for you.

Make sure to call the store 1st. I was at the Rogers store for about 1hr before they realized they don't offer the saltstriker with clicker at that store. I'm not 100%convinced they did or not, but I was at the point I was ready to leave.

You should ask them if they have it avaliable in a 7'M action. I personally think the 7' is more versatile. Can be used with C-hooks and has enough backbone to hull up some bigguns.

You should be able to get the same rod blanks from Bass Pro, under a different name. They use the same rod builders/Vendors for saltwater and near shore rods, like the Salt Striker series.