• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ramp incidents

dkrusin

I have a couple - one involving me another not

A friend, my wife and I were fishing from his new Alumacraft one evening, just cruising the weedline casting for whatever, enjoying the evening and a few beverages. Well, maybe more than a few. My wife stayed in the boat, ran the boat onto the trailer, doing a fine job, my buddy was in the truck, I hooked up the winch. I signaled my buddy to take off, the boat stayed where it was - I forgot to flip the switch on the winch or hook up the saftey chain. Didn't hurt the Alumacraft at all -those are tough boats!

Second one - watching a guy put in his pontoon on Ottertail - water was low. He backed in the Tahoe as far as he could with out getting the interior wet, got on the tooner and started the motor and tried to back off the trailer - problem was the prop wasn't in the water! He tried for about 5 minutes, man that motor was screaming! Finally gave up and left. Amazingly the 90 Merc didn't explode - it had to be hot!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend that was putting in a boat, with a truck low on fuel. Needless to say, he gets down the ramp and all the gas goes to the back of the tank and the truck dies. So he proceeds to load the boat and pretend to be working on the motor. He has called another friend to bring him gas by this time. So for 45mins he sits in his truck out of gas, blocking one of the two ramps, watching everyone else load and unload on the other ramp, most were not happy with him, but no one offered to help either. He said it was a long wait.

i have a couple times where i am waiting in line at the ramp and the guys boat infront of me comes of the trailor while backing down and he are just waiting for about 45 min to get the boat out of the way since it is only a 1 way ramp.

I went to Prior with my friend the first nice day of the year, on the drive over I said "I wonder how many people will launch the boat off the trailer for the first time this year with out makeing sure it starts first."

Sure enough there were boats everywhere near the ramp, I saw one guy loading his back onto the trailer by hand and I heard him say to his wife "we should make sure we have gas in it next time".

If you're not going to run your boat in your driveway at the beginging of the year at least start it up ON the trailer before you launch and let the wind blow you away.

I have launch boats hundreds of times but these are the two I am most proud of. We we on Mille Lacs in my fishing partners brand new Ranger 621. It of course was on bunkers, so we unhooked the front, my buddy fired up the engine and backed into the water. He puts it in reverse, but did not go anywhere. He went to the front to make sure we were unhooked, yep we were. He trimmed up the engine to see if the perpeller was spinning, yep it was. I backed in a bit farther, noticing that the trailer was floating. We had forgotten to unhook the back of the boat. I found us very lucky that the 300 Yamaha did not pull the truck into the lake.

Like I said, I was used to that bunker trailer as that is the boat we usually take. I was putting in my Lund 1950 tyee and forgot which trailer I was using, thus unhooking the boat in the front and watching the lund go flying into the water with no one in it. Classy. I was lucky that no one else saw that, especially my dad who technically owns the boat. He did ask me why I was wet when I got back to the cabin. I told him that I decided to take a swim. Stupid mistake that I will never do again.

I was backing my trailer in one day and this guy in a ski boat comes cruising in ahead of everyone else and stops behind me.

He gets out and starts to walk up the ramp.

NICE!!

So I back down anyway and his lady friend hustles their boat backwards.

I load my boat and start to pull off the ramp.

The guy comes up to me and asks what the @#$% I'm doing.

I look back at the dozen boats he pulled in front of and asked him if he had ever taken the DNR's Boat Minnesota course.

I told him if not he may learn a few things about Courtesy On The Boat Ramp.

I pulled away with him opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water.

My wife proceeded to tell me I was wrong and should have just pulled off the ramp and let him get his boat out.

My son, bless his heart, informs my wife that in fact the guy was wrong.

My son had just completed his certification test.

He said, "It's in the book, mom."

End of discussion.

That being said, I tend to try and not be at the launch during "rush hour" if at all possible.

blush I have one here that I will never forget and will probably have everyone rolling on the floor Well let me see how I should start this Oh ya I remember now here it goes

I was going to meet a buddy at the landing and he was going to help me unload the boat, but he never came so I got impatient and decided I would do it myself (just a little 14' Lund fishing boat) no problem right? Well guess again I undo all the straps and leave the winch hooked up back the boat in and this access was very steep and deep with a dock

At that time I owned a older F-150 2WD 5 SPD and had unloaded by myself there many a time with no problem I get the boat backed in to where I normally did, put the truck in 1st gear and locked the parking brake go to the back and unhook winch and truck begins to roll I guess the parking brake was shot come to think of it the whole works began sliding on the concrete ramp so I panick and jump in the truck and hammer on the brakes and you can probably guess what happens next? Oh you bet I power launched my boat and having no clue how deep the water is going oh Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!! what can I do so I decide to jump for it and I just barely caught the edge of the boat and I can't swin to save my soul blush and woulldnt you know just after I get the boat to shore who shows up oh ya the buddy and says I just tried to call you and I said I was a little busy and thats also when I realized I had my phone in my front pocket. But we still caught a bunch of fish One I will never forget

Not really a ramp incident just as funny though of course not when it happened

cry My cousin and I were always doing and trying crazy schmidt when we were young and dumb but this one took the cake one morning after trying our favorite lake we didn't catch much so we decided to try another lake close by just down a gravel road a little bit

We are cruisin down the gravvy and come to a 90 degree turn with loose gravel on it and I was tring to show off a little and went a little too far as I hung the corner and I was watching the boat in my rear view and all of a sudden the trailer started to lift up and yep the ole boat went a flyin right into a bean field and the trailer ended up upside down and the battery flew at least 30yds into the field and the funniest part of the whole ordeal was that a old farmer comes driving up to me on the road and asks what happened and my cousin just bust out laughing.

Some how I didn't wreck much except for the Johnson's cover and twisted the hitch a little not that I'm proud of that moment, but just thought it would make someday smile or laugh today.

Anyone check out the pics in the mille lacs thread of the truck that plunged under? I am astonished at how often people have incidents like these. Maybe they need to make it mandatory to take a class before one can pull a boat. whistle

This story was on the MT fish and game HSOforum, I stole it from another source. I found it to be verry amusing I thought I'd share it wth you.

By patti Buckingham Montana Wildlife $ and parks in Helana

Years ago, when my son was about 6 years old, we went fishing near Helana at the York bridge. He was casting near the boat launch, and typical of a little boy, watching the launching of many differant boats.

About mid morning, An out-of-state two-wheel drive truck, towing a large pull behind camper and a small fishing boat attached to the camper, pulled in. The older driver and his buddy started backing down the boat ramp . they caught my son's attention and he laid his pole down and walked over to watch the action.

The driver hopped out of the truck to help his buddy in the water unhook the boat. About the time the driver shut the truck door, the whole caboodle started rolling down the ramp into the lake. There was yelling and scrambling by both men. The driver jumped back into the truck and hit the brakes, but by then even the the large camper was already in deep water.

The buddy giving directions was standing next to my son by then. Suddenly there was a loud snap as if metal had broken from metal. The camper slowly floated out away from the truck and ended up with its rear end over the top of the boat on the now sunken trailer. the camper looked like it was riding on the boat, and the whole thing was slowly sinking.

By this time both older men were standing next to my son with expessions that said they had no idea what to do next.

My son looked up in all innocence and said '' Your houseboat would have floated better with a larger boat or big pontoons.''

Fearing my son's life, I manueverd him away from the red faced men.

Soon several helpfull anglers with 4-wheel drive vehicles had pulled the camper, boat and trailer out of the water and everyone was back on shore.

After most of the excitement was over, the guy giving directions at the beginning of the whole ordeal walked over to my son, thanked him for his advice and winked at me.

''Your son's coment was the funniest thing to happen to me in a long time.'' he said and walked away with a chuckle.

Sometimes the only good thing that can come of waiting at a boat launch is the pure entertainment value of it, especially on a weekend at any launch up and down the croix.

I have seen my share of landing shananigans, but thinking back, I have remembered my fair share of mishaps....

1-Silver Lake landing in North St. Paul, my rope got caught up in the trailer and I dragged my boat right up about 10 feet.

2-Silver Lake landing again: Broken parking brake, manual transmission, and an engine with piston that just kind of rattle around in the cylinders equals a near tragedy! Thank God I was younger and quicker then, as I could have been rolled over by my own truck. I managed to get to the brakes before deep sixing the truck.

3- Copas launch, St. Croix River. Anyone who knows this access also knows you need four wheel drive. They also know that during the week in the middle of the summer there isn't much traffic, either. My younger, more foolish self, all full of bravado decided that my pickup with 2 wheel drive positrack can get the job done. Not much problem getting up with an empty trailer, but coming out loaded was MUCH different. 3 Hours of struggling, trying everything including unhitching trailer and trying to get up with no luck, an old couple in a minivan show up and rescue me.

4- Big Carnelian, late fall. Safety chain breaks just at the right moment to propel my boat out about 75 feet and drifting. Again, middle of week with no one around. Had to go swimming in about 45 degree water. Went fishing anyway for a while until hypothermia started to set in. Did I mention foolish bravado?

All this happened in my younger years with an old 1957 alumacraft. You would think I had learned all I needed to, BUT:

5- last summer, Emily access. Pulled boat out, noticed it was quite crooked on trailer. I went to back it back in, but had forgotten to tilt motor. The skeg caught the slabs and stopped my truck flat. Look on wifes face was priceless.

Just remembered this one. I was going fishin with the neighbor on a small lake in the area. 16ft litttle alum boat. Hooked the rope up on front , he started pulling out, I gave the boat a little push. I still don't know how but that little clip became un-clipped. I stood there for a second before I could react. Ran and jumped off the dock and barely caught the boat. The only problem is I had never started his boat before. Could not start it to save my life. By now he is standing with some other guys laughing pretty good. I gave up and used the trolling motor. Get back to the dock soaking wet and he says that he would of asked another boat to get it. Lesson well learned.

I think I've shared this one before but anyway:

One day a couple buddies and I hook up the beat up old glasstron cv-16 to this rusted out, squeaky chevy and haul it to collinwood for a day of waterskiing and wakeboarding. We pull up to the landing and low and behold there are 3 great looking girls there fishing off shore, so he puts it in neutral and slides up next to them (if they dont hear him comming, they cant run away I'm guessing is his philosophy) and starts up a conversation. "You girls want to go for a boat ride?". i'm guessing by the appearance of the boat, truck, and my buddy who hasnt combed his hair in 15 years, with a dry toothbrush sticking out of his mouth, wearing a white Tshirt and cut off Daisy Duke shorts, they were a little skeptical. "We want to see the boat" they say. So my buddy turns the rig around and lines himself up to the ramp. I unhook the back straps, and another buddy unhooks the front chain and the WINCH STRAP! He's landed a boat a million times so it was just a brain fart, probably destracted by the hotties waiting for us to put the boat in. So the guy driving starts backing up and I was standing on the dock making sure he's straight when I noticed there was nothing holding the boat to the trailer and at the same time my buddy realized the same thing, so he yells "STOP!!!". Driver slams on the brakes and the boat rolls off the trailer right onto the concrete. There was a moment of shock, then I just started laughing hysterically. The driver gets out yelling something about a kid and we were all laughing our butts off. We winched it back up onto the trailer and put it in the water. I thought for sure those girls werent comming with us but we ended up hanging out with them all day.

The guy is a riot. Picture perfect image of Matthew McConnohey in "Dazed and Confused" Same attitude and everything. Same guy that one week we were up in Crosslake Army Corp. campground and he's got poison ivy or something so he's going through 2 bottles of calamine lotion a day, his whole body is pink from the lotion, but the rash doesnt get any better. Let me tell you, he scared a few people at the joints up there with the daisy dukes and pink legs. A week later he goes to the doctor and when we ask him about what the doctor said these are the words that came out of his mouth:

"Turns out I'm allergic to calamine lotion as it were".

I could go on and on with stories about this guy.

HAHAHA! The calamine lotion story is great! McConnohey'esque with the Dukes and pink legs! I bet the townies were going NUTS! Anyone that can do that deserves a star in my book. Thanks for sharing man. laugh

So my Dad backs the boat down the ramp, it's just after ice out and the air temp and water temps are cold. I grab the rope and push the boat off the trailer. Just as I go to pull the boat to the dock I realize the rope isn't attached. By the time he parked the boat and walked back to the ramp I was getting dressed again. As I said it was far too cold to fish all day in wet clothes so I had to strip naked before swimming after the boat.

I eventually warmed up as did the air temp, and we even caught fish, but I'll never make that mistake again.