• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Denny Hamlin ???

I really wonder why NASCAR did not fine him and dock him some points like they have done with others in the past??? confused.gif

This is off Jayski...

No additional penalties for Hamlin, Waltrip: #11-Denny Hamlin won't be further penalized for intentionally bringing out a late caution in Saturday night's race at Richmond even though there is precedent for it. No further penalty also is expected against #55-Michael Waltrip for intentionally wrecking #5-Casey Mears, NASCAR officials said on Monday. Hamlin was given a two-lap penalty when he stopped on the track with a cut tire with less than 10 laps remaining. NASCAR officials believed it was an intentional move to bring out the caution and allow Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch the opportunity to close on then-leader Dale Earnhardt Jr. A spokesperson for the governing body said during Monday's test session at Lowe's Motor Speedway that there would be no further punishment. But in 2004, Earnhardt was docked 25 points and fined $10,000 for intentionally bringing out the caution at Bristol. In the 2002 running of the All-Star race, Kurt Busch was fined $10,000 for intentionally spinning out Robby Gordon to bring out a caution. Meanwhile, Waltrip was parked with about 40 laps remaining when he intentionally took out Mears after Mears got into him a few laps earlier. Officials said the hit Waltrip took in points -- he finished 37th and fell a spot to 32nd in points -- was severe enough.(

Originally Posted By: HOF#13
#11-Denny Hamlin won't be further penalized for intentionally bringing out a late caution in Saturday night's race at Richmond even though there is precedent for it. NASCAR officials said on Monday. Hamlin was given a two-lap penalty when he stopped on the track with a cut tire with less than 10 laps remaining. NASCAR officials believed it was an intentional move to bring out the caution and allow Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch the opportunity to close on then-leader Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Wow, I actualy agree with nascar. They saw someting the same way I / everyone saw the incodent.

I think nascar was letting boys be boys, we will see how they do in the future.

I don't know. NASCAR had set a precedent for a fine and point deduction when purposely causing a caution. Denny Hamlin purposely stayed out and stopped on the track to cause a caution, yet no fine or point deduction as NASCAR has done in the past??? Maybe they figure the 2 lap penalty was enough, I don't know. Does a 2 lap penalty = $10,000 fine and a loss of 25 points?

2 lap penalty doesn't mean squat in my opinion because if he would have pitted like he should have, he would have lost two or more laps there anyway as it is a short track. They just put him where he would have been anyway and didn't penalize him at all.

I agree with you on the issue. I really do not know how NASCAR can try to justify the no fine and points penalty.

It is no big suprise though. We have all been complaining about NASCAR's inconsistency for a long time.

Originally Posted By: lawdog
2 lap penalty doesn't mean squat in my opinion because if he would have pitted like he should have, he would have lost two or more laps there anyway as it is a short track. .

And #88 would have won the race

Originally Posted By: lawdog
2 lap penalty doesn't mean squat in my opinion because if he would have pitted like he should have, he would have lost two or more laps there anyway as it is a short track. They just put him where he would have been anyway and didn't penalize him at all.

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
Hamlin got what he wanted, a win for Kyle as he never would have caught Jr.

Bowyer won. It would have been interesting to see jr. and Hamlin at the end of the race, but I still think Denny had the stronger car.

To bad Kyle couldn't accept the fact that jr. had a stronger car and settle for a close 2nd place finish.......oh wait a minute.

I will defend Hamlin cause he has earned me some money over the last couple years and is one of my favorite drivers. The guy led 380 laps and then had a tire start going down. Don't you think he maybe wanted to stay out and just see if he could ride it out for the best finish possible. That was one of the most dominating performances I have seen in a race in years. The tire was slowly going down, and then finally cut, it took over 10 laps for it to get to that point and with only a few to go, I would have stayed out as well. I didn't see it as trying to get Schrub closer to Jr at all. I had Denny and Jr for the race, and lost both of them within the last 20 laps of the race.

IMO...He still did not need to pull to a complete stop on the track, wait until the caution flag was thrown, and then drive to the pits. He could have accomplished all of that without stopping and intentionally bringing out the caution.

Originally Posted By: HOF#13
IMO...He still did not need to pull to a complete stop on the track, wait until the caution flag was thrown, and then drive to the pits. He could have accomplished all of that without stopping and intentionally bringing out the caution.

In hindsight that is all true.

There is reasonable explanation for why he

stopped on the track.

Check out the article at Nascar . com by David Caraviello.

Yea, I read that. I agree that I don't think Denny did it at all for Shrub. I think Denny is actually pretty good friends with Dale Jr. so I don't think that came in to play at all. I think Denny was simply so upset that he had the tire going down, that not using better judgment simply got the better of him. It happens. My only real complaint is that NASCAR did not fine and dock him points as they have done in the past under similar situations.