• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

removing plugs from lower unit

Justfishing

Question

10 answers to this question

Find a big 'ol screwdriver that fits very snugly in the screw slot. Try and use a screwdriver (Craftsman) that has a square shaft. Take a crescent wrench, and use that to carefully turn the shaft of the screwdriver. This usually works for me.

Yup a big ol screwdriver worked for me. I got a Husky screwdriver from Home Depot. It was like $12 but it's the only thing that will work. Make sure the screwdriver is thick enough and it shall come off. May want to get a replacement plug if it's stripped pretty bad. Maybe Twin City Outboard would have them. Good luck

I use the big ole snap on screwdriver myself.. They usually come loose with a little snap then they break loose, not uncommon. If it gets messed up we can change the name of this thread to "how to install a helicoil" Hopefully not a direction you have to go... Good luck! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Be sure that the blade on the large screwdriver you use is sharp. It makes a large difference on whether it will slip and then strip the screw slot. A quick trip to the grinder will do the job nicely, just take your time and make sure that everything is straight and even.

You can also use a screwdriver bit (socket type) that attatch's to a ratchet. You will have much better leverage with this type of bit than any standard screwdriver.

If you do strip it you can drill it (as shallow as possible) and use a large extracter to pull the plug. I wouldnt try a small extracter.. if you break one of them your really screwed.

Hope to get to it this weekend. I bought a screwdriver at Sears. I am going to have to grind it down some. It has to much taper from the tip up the shank. I dont have a grinder so I am the mercy of using my a friends. Also I have ticket for the Penn State V NU game. That will eat up the afternoon tailgating.