Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justfishing

removing plugs from lower unit

11 posts in this topic

I have a 94 Johnson 20 HP. Somebody over tightened the drain plug for the lower unit. The plug is in so tight the I am afraid I will strip the head. Any sugestions for getting it out?

Find a big 'ol screwdriver that fits very snugly in the screw slot. Try and use a screwdriver (Craftsman) that has a square shaft. Take a crescent wrench, and use that to carefully turn the shaft of the screwdriver. This usually works for me.

Yup a big ol screwdriver worked for me. I got a Husky screwdriver from Home Depot. It was like $12 but it's the only thing that will work. Make sure the screwdriver is thick enough and it shall come off. May want to get a replacement plug if it's stripped pretty bad. Maybe Twin City Outboard would have them. Good luck

Try a nickle and wrench. The nickle should give out long before you do any damage. Use a nutbuster oil, too.

I had very good luck using a large screwdriver and a small hammer.
Tap lightly on one edge of the slot, COUNTERCLOCKWISE, it's enought it move it just a tad.

I use the big ole snap on screwdriver myself.. They usually come loose with a little snap then they break loose, not uncommon. If it gets messed up we can change the name of this thread to "how to install a helicoil" Hopefully not a direction you have to go... Good luck! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

If the big screw driver dosent work. Brace the lower unit and use an inpact driver.

Be sure that the blade on the large screwdriver you use is sharp. It makes a large difference on whether it will slip and then strip the screw slot. A quick trip to the grinder will do the job nicely, just take your time and make sure that everything is straight and even.

You can also use a screwdriver bit (socket type) that attatch's to a ratchet. You will have much better leverage with this type of bit than any standard screwdriver.

If you do strip it you can drill it (as shallow as possible) and use a large extracter to pull the plug. I wouldnt try a small extracter.. if you break one of them your really screwed.

So.. after all this great advice has been offered, did you get it out?

marine_man

Hope to get to it this weekend. I bought a screwdriver at Sears. I am going to have to grind it down some. It has to much taper from the tip up the shank. I dont have a grinder so I am the mercy of using my a friends. Also I have ticket for the Penn State V NU game. That will eat up the afternoon tailgating.