• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cwd in se MN

21 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Concerning the CWD fiasco;  I guess we really can't expect much from a town that doesn't even know the difference between CO and CO2. Like I've said before, the news teams here are nothing but a bunch of stumblebums....just like a few other organizations. They seem to rrun rampant down here.  Maybe it's CWD.   :cry:

Just had to share this.....

(Headline statement and pic don't show)

January 07, 2017 12:35 PM

Firefighters: Bakery has Elevated Levels of CO2; One Employee Sent to Hospital

-- Around 9:46 Saturday morning, firefighters received a call of a possible carbon monoxide poisoning at Gingerbread House Bakery on North Broadway in Rochester.  When they arrived at the scene, firefighters say there were no customers in the bakery.  However, according to the responders, there were four employees at the shop. One of the employees was experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  The three other employees also reported some symptoms of carbon monoxide after being examined by emergency personnel.

Firefighters also say when they arrived at the bakery, an equipment they use to monitor carbon monoxide levels showed an increased presence of CO2 in the bakeshop.

Firefighters then turned off the gas and aired out the scene.

All employees were released on their own accord except for one who was sent to the hospital. 

The bakery is closed for the day and firefighters are not sure when it will open again.

The Rochester Fire Department wants to remind everyone to make sure their homes have CO2 monitors or alarms especially those that use gas for cooking and baking.

well, hopefully they are not holding their breath waiting for the test results to come back.

They (newspaper) have an updated article online about the DNR's response to the dumpsite. Interesting to note they (newspaper) have disabled the comments section to the article. Guess they don't want anyone picking on the poor DNR.

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

They (newspaper) have an updated article online about the DNR's response to the dumpsite. Interesting to note they (newspaper) have disabled the comments section to the article. Guess they don't want anyone picking on the poor DNR.

It is the compost bulletin,   a device to deliver advertising to your home.   It took days for them to even notice the story.   

About to post from strib.  Houston we have a problem....  

2 more presumed CWD-infected deer found in SE Minnesota

January 10, 2017 - 11:30 AM

+ 

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Wildlife managers have found two more deer suspected of being infected with chronic wasting disease near the southeastern Minnesota town of Preston, raising the number of confirmed and presumptive infected deer found in the area to five.

The does were killed within a mile of where the first two deer that tested positive were shot in November, marking the first appearance of the brain disease in wild deer in Minnesota since 2010. The Department of Natural Resources expects confirmation later this week.

The DNR will now consider having hunters kill even more deer than planned in the area to better assess the prevalence of the disease and prevent its spread. But wildlife research manager Lou Cornicelli (korn-ih-SEL'-lee) says they won't make any decisions until after a special hunt concludes Sunday.

My latest DNR E-mail...

MN Department of Natural Resources [email protected] via service.govdelivery.com 

1:08 PM (1 minute ago)

to Mark  *********

Minnesota DNR News

For Immediate Release:

Jan, 10, 2017

IN THIS ISSUE

CWD found in 2 more deer; 5-county feeding ban now in place

DNR uses fish work groups to gain advice, input     

Apply by Jan. 27 for spring wild turkey A and B season permits

CWD found in 2 more deer; 5-county feeding ban now in place

272 of 430 deer tested so far; bird feed must be at least 6 feet above ground level

Two more deer suspected of being infected with chronic wasting disease have been found near Preston.  The DNR received preliminary results of the positive tests late on Jan 6. Final results confirming the two suspected cases are expected later this week. The two adult female deer were killed within a mile of the first two positive deer.

This latest discovery will prompt the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to consider removing more deer to better assess the disease’s prevalence.

“We won’t make any final decisions until after Jan. 15 when the special hunt concludes,” said Lou Cornicelli, DNR wildlife research manager. “But with the discovery of an infected deer 5 miles north of Preston and these two new presumptive positive deer, it’s prudent that we increase our original surveillance goal of sampling 900 adult deer.”

A higher surveillance goal also results in more potentially infected deer being removed from the population, which helps to reduce CWD’s spread.

Confirmation of the new cases would bring the total number of current CWD-positive deer to five. Until now, the only other wild deer with the disease found in Minnesota was harvested near Pine Island in 2010. 

Through Jan. 7, hunters killed about 575 deer in southeastern Minnesota’s disease management zone. Test results have been received for 272 of 430 samples, which include the two new discoveries.

Additional efforts to address CWD are in full swing in the 371-square mile disease management area centered around Preston.

The DNR began a series of meetings with landowners to issue deer shooting permits that become effective Monday, Jan. 16; a five-county deer feeding ban is in place; and an aerial survey to determine deer population and density in the area now is complete.

“Our best chance at containing the spread of CWD and hopefully eliminating the disease is to take quick and aggressive action,” Cornicelli said. “Asking landowners and hunters to reduce the deer population helps minimize the spread of disease. Fewer deer means less deer-to-deer contact occurs, lowering the risk of sick deer transmitting CWD to healthy deer.”

Results of the aerial deer population survey estimate that there are 11,600 deer in an area that includes the disease management zone and an area to the north where the third CWD-positive deer was discovered. Population estimates show a higher density of animals within a 12 square-mile radius of the site near Preston where the first CWD-positive deer was discovered.

“The aerial survey tells us where deer are as well as where they are more likely to congregate,” Cornicelli said. “Knowing that helps us determine if more deer need to be removed in certain areas to better reduce potential spread of the disease.”

So far, the DNR has issued about 115 landowner shooting permits. The permits become effectiveMonday, Jan. 16, the day after the special hunt concludes. They allow landowners and their designees to shoot deer on their property so DNR hopefully can reach its disease sampling goal.

A ban prohibiting the feeding of wild deer in a larger area that includes all of Fillmore, Houston, Mower, Olmsted and Winona counties is in effect as part of the DNR’s comprehensive long-term disease management strategy.

“The purpose of the ban is to reduce the potential for the disease to spread from deer-to-deer by reducing the number of deer concentration sites,” Cornicelli said. “The disease can spread from one deer to another following nose-to-nose contact, contact with saliva or other body fluids. By eliminating deer feeding sites where that easily can occur, we reduce potential for the disease to spread.” 

The deer feeding ban makes it illegal to place or have food capable of attracting wild deer. This includes salt/mineral blocks and deer attractants. People who feed birds or small mammals must do so in a manner that precludes access to deer or place the food at least 6 feet above ground level.

“We recognize that people enjoy feeding wildlife,” Cornicelli said. “Those who do so must place the feed so deer can’t access it.”

Food placed as a result of normal agricultural practices is generally exempted from this rule. But cattle operators should take steps that minimize contact between deer and cattle.

CWD is a fatal brain disease to deer, elk and moose but is not known to affect human health. Prior to the five recent discoveries, the only other wild deer with the disease found in Minnesota was harvested near Pine Island in 2010.

For more information, including a map of the disease management zone, locations of infected deer, landowner information, special deer hunt information, deer feeding ban, common questions and answers and hunter information, visit the DNR’s CWD webpage at www.mndnr.gov/cwd.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you believe the DNR actually wants to stop this disease.  They're playing fast and loose with the supposed science.  They haven't banned deer urine sales and use yet.  Still no enforcement of the deer parts import ban.  The Brainerd area farm herd hasn't been destroyed and incinerated.  The land inside that same farm hasn't been condemned and quarantined to prevent soil transmission. 

So I have to ask, are they really trying to stop it?  Or are they just killing as many deer as they can before the public turns on them?

Could be the pollinator lobby because deer eat all the flowers

Could be the moose lobby because deer are the single biggest moose predator

Could be the clean water lobby because deer overgraze stream banks

Could be the CO2 lobby because deer fart much like cows

Could be the insurance lobby because deer hurl themselves at cars like World War Z zombies

Could be the farm lobby because deer take 31% off the state corn and soybean yield each year

Could be the duck lobby because deer eat baby ducks (google it)

Could be the forestry lobby because deer pushed NAFTA causing cheap canadian forest products to displace MN loggers

Could be the media getting back at gun toting Trumpsters

So basically you think the DNR has a coordinated effort to reduce the deer herd but you don't have any concrete ideas of why that is? It sounds pretty much like tinfoil hat territory to me.

I suppose they intentionally introduced CWD in that area after building up the adult male population for years just so they could wipe them out and cut the herd size. Sheesh.

Maybe it's time to consider the idea that there are risks to having a higher number of deer in an area. And when combined with the push to have bigger and bigger antlers, that is providing the market for private, highly populated game farms and transporting live animals across state lines in the name of genetics it's not hard to understand why this may be popping up. 

16 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

So basically you think the DNR has a coordinated effort to reduce the deer herd but you don't have any concrete ideas of why that is? It sounds pretty much like tinfoil hat territory to me.

I suppose they intentionally introduced CWD in that area after building up the adult male population for years just so they could wipe them out and cut the herd size. Sheesh.

Maybe it's time to consider the idea that there are risks to having a higher number of deer in an area. And when combined with the push to have bigger and bigger antlers, that is providing the market for private, highly populated game farms and transporting live animals across state lines in the name of genetics it's not hard to understand why this may be popping up. 

Maybe the cheese is starting to slide off your cracker.  Didn't see any point in rehashing all we've gone over the past few years.  Did you forget about our discussions with FarmsFullTime where he declared the state herd healthy because he had deer at his place? 

If we must go back, at the Deer Day hearing in 2013 Steve Merchant blamed it on the forestry lobby.  State farm tells us that one in 60 of us will hit a deer each year.  I've never heard any actual farmer complain about deer, yet the DNR seems more concerned with ag matters than farmers themselves, the farm lobby or the MN Dept of Agriculture. 

This conversation is about the CWD response.  The main point here is this; if the DNR were in charge of a response to a real threat to humanity we'd all be goners. 

Lol.

From what I remember of the pro APR lobby the term "Herd health" only concerns the ratio of bucks to does and the ratio of bigguns to littleuns.  Seems there are other factors that can also define that term. ;)

As to the rest of the comments, you basically followed up a statement of not wanting to rehash the past by rehashing the past. If you have not heard any farmers complain about deer eating their crops you must not be in my area. The ones we hunt around like nothing more than to see them removed from their land. I suppose attitudes are different in different areas but rest assured there are farmers who would not feel bad if their fields were deer free. 

As far as the response from the DNR, it's predictable and followed the protocol that they established some time ago so it's not like they did it on the fly. If this is a concern it probably could have been addressed with some of the energy that was spent on the whole audit thing. The interesting part is that if numbers were as low as they were proclaimed to be there would be no need for herd thinning because we were told there were no deer left to shoot. Yet the past year, with not a single thing implemented that the audit crowd called for and certainly not enough time for changes to have an impact suddenly there were no problems with either the size or number of deer. 

It will be interesting to see if this ends up like Pine Island, where pretty intensive herd reduction and good luck at catching it very early seem to have eliminated the infection, or like Dane County Wisconsin where it was established enough and landowners were resistant  leading to CWD becoming endemic and permanently established.   

Does anyone know how big a deal the pay to play hunting land and lease business is down there in Fillmore county and surrounding area?   I wonder what level of cooperation the DNR is getting from the land owners.

Ok, It is established that the DNR doesn't know what they are doing.

Does anybody have any information on the Special Hunt? Numbers of deer taken so forth......

I talked to the Park Ranger before the hunt and he was thinking that there would be a lot of hunters in the park but not much participation from the bordering farmers. He says they practice QDM and that they will probably not shoot anything.

Good Luck,

Mike 

The DNR release said 575 had been taken so far. With 200+ tested with 2 more cases found.

I dont know what the right response should be, i will hope that thier current protocol works.

I, however, am of the personal belief that this disease didnt just pop up out if the blue.  We just started looking for it.  I am of the understanding that this prion can live in the soil some 15 years.  If these deer have it, it is already in soil, and is going no where.  We can knock thw population down in hopes the remaining deer dont migrate to areas where the prion may not be.  OR is it already in the soil pretty much everywhere?  No one knows!  Maybe, and I admit i Know little, we should let the disease run its course, kill those that the disease effects and hope it leaves those that have an immunity to it to survive.

I dont know, this stuff sucks.

17 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

The DNR release said 575 had been taken so far. With 200+ tested with 2 more cases found.

I dont know what the right response should be, i will hope that thier current protocol works.

I, however, am of the personal belief that this disease didnt just pop up out if the blue.  We just started looking for it.  I am of the understanding that this prion can live in the soil some 15 years.  If these deer have it, it is already in soil, and is going no where.  We can knock thw population down in hopes the remaining deer dont migrate to areas where the prion may not be.  OR is it already in the soil pretty much everywhere?  No one knows!  Maybe, and I admit i Know little, we should let the disease run its course, kill those that the disease effects and hope it leaves those that have an immunity to it to survive.

Hence my way previous post about it leaching into the soil from that pile of deer carcasses, while others said "naa, naa"...like hell.

29 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I agree with you and Rebel. Until they found out what it was a few years ago. How do they not know there always has been some all the time. Not sure if the "We need to destroy the Village to save it" thing is really working just by killing a bunch in areas around ones that are found? :crazy:

I did some intelligent in-depth studying up on this today, and lookee what I found....hoo boy..

Diagnosis is based on post mortem examination (necropsy) and testing; examination of the dead body is not definitive as many animals die early in the course of the disease and conditions found are non-specific; 

So, could be MANY, MANY, more with it...and,then  I found This:

Epidemiology

The origin and mode of transmission of the prions causing CWD is unknown, but recent research indicates that prions can be excreted by deer and elk, and are transmitted by eating grass growing in contaminated soil.[7][8]

CONTAMINATED SOIL????!!!!

Friggin' DNR better get me on staff quick.......HELLO!! DNR!! IS THERE ANYONE IN THERE??? GOOD! I DO BELIEVE IT'S WORKING.....:cry: