• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generac ix and iq series generators /Inverter

JbuZZo

If you don't want to buy a Honda or Yamaha, buy any brand, all the cheapies are the same. Just because it says it has a Honda motor in it doesn't mean it's the same motor that comes in the regular Hondas. Or the same generator, which it really isn't. Just like buying a cheap pressure washer you get what you pay for. Go ahead and buy the cheapie if that's what you can afford, buy it by all means.

Honda was, is and always will be a Japanese company. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (本田技研工業株式会社, Honda Giken Kōgyō KK?, IPA: [hoɴda]. They have partnered with China manufactures for many years. Many have the perception that made in China means cheaply built and is somewhat true, they do make some junk stuff that sells for pennies. By the same token, the computer your using to do these post are most likely made in China. If you own a Honda generator/invertor it was made in Japan and China.

I think these videos show the differences in the units.

Load test on a Yamaha- about 30sec. With a 1900watt load overloads it.

Load test on a Honda-with a 2200watt load....doesn't overload it.

Load test on Champion-1700watt load single unit towards end.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA
Link didn't work

9 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

Lmao.....you must be in your 50's.......complaining about Chinese parts.......lmao. About 1/3 of the world population lives in China, and the biggest most successful American companies like Apple get stuff built in China. The reason everything is built in China is because 1/3 of the worlds population is in China and labor is cheap since they need jobs and will work for cents on the dollar. The farce that Chinese products are junk has been over for 10 yrs. The only reason a product is junk coming from China is do to the company contracting the manufacturing is using cheaper quality stuff when manufacturing to increase profits not because the "Chinese made it". The blame for cheap quality is on the American companies charging more and providing less quality for increased profits. 

The champion is fine and does what is advertised. However the reason the Honda performs so well was/is actually the fact it is a larger watt inverter generator put into a 2000watt package to sell. The Honda can hold 2200 watts for a short period of time. It's a marketing ploy that worked well. I wish more companies would under promise and over deliver, but they don't. 

Say what you want but the reason for sourcing to China is price driven, not quality driven. 

Yeah, some electrical tropics are built there but they still don't have the manufacturing quality. Taiwan and Japan both have a higher level of manufacturing capability. 

In the cabinet industry China has been gearing up their CNC router production for a decade and while they do make them there the difference between theirs and say Italy, the USA, Taiwan etc is measurable and that is not the only product. The same can be said for all of those cheap mopeds, go-carts and 4 wheelers you saw popping up by the side of the road over the years. 

So while they may be improving. To tell me there is no noticeable difference between their quality standards and those of the rest of the world is naive. 

Buy what you feel comfortable with.

42 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Say what you want but the reason for sourcing to China is price driven, not quality driven. 

Yeah, some electrical tropics are built there but they still don't have the manufacturing quality. Taiwan and Japan both have a higher level of manufacturing capability. 

In the cabinet industry China has been gearing up their CNC router production for a decade and while they do make them there the difference between theirs and say Italy, the USA, Taiwan etc is measurable and that is not the only product. The same can be said for all of those cheap mopeds, go-carts and 4 wheelers you saw popping up by the side of the road over the years. 

So while they may be improving. To tell me there is no noticeable difference between their quality standards and those of the rest of the world is naive. 

Buy what you feel comfortable with.

The quality control standards come from the company sourcing the goods, not from China or the Chinese manufacturers. Your right people go there for cheap labor & infastructure it is price driven. I'm not saying China makes anything better or any worse then any other country, but to say Chinese manufacturing is c r a p is a misguided false truth many of us are told. It's the companies moving manufacturing to China & reducing quality control methods to increase margins that causes cheap c r a p . 

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

Chinese manufacturers can make high quality products.  They can make inexpensive products of lower quality as well.   It comes down to the retailer and the customer and what they want. 

For example, Harbor Freight sells a generator sort of like the Honda et al for 449, and with the 20 percent off coupon it is down to 359. 

Is it the quality of the Honda?  Seems unlikely.  Is it good enough?  Now that is the question, eh?

|

• 2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III

Predator Generators 61169 2500 Watts Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP  (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator

Double click on above image to view full picture

2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III

PredatorGeneratorColor.gif

Predator Generators - item#61169

This lightweight inverter generator delivers efficient power for electronics, small appliances and tools

Purchase In Store Only

comp at $999.00
Only: $449.99

Product Overview
Description

Using built-in inverter technology this inverter generator produces a cleaner power curve ideal for sensitive electronics. The efficient design of this inverter generator gives you more power with lower fuel consumption. Lighter weight than conventional generators, the inverter generator is ideal for RV, camping and boating use.
  • 125cc air-cooled OHV gas engine
  • 5-1/2 hours run-time @ 50% capacity
  • Low oil indicator
  • Fully enclosed high-impact housing
  • Electronic overload protection
  • (1) 120V , 20A duplex outlets, 3 prong, (1) 12V DC – 2 pin outlet
  • Recoil start

Not for sale in California. This item can only be shipped within the 48 contiguous states via Standard Ground Shipping. In order to return this item for a refund or replacement, all fuel must first be drained.

Specifications
Name 2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III
SKU 61169
Brand Predator Generators
Certification EPA III
Engine displacement (cc) 125cc
Fuel type Unleaded gasoline
Horsepower (hp) 4.7
Receptacles (qty.) 3
Run time @ 50% load (hours/tank) 5-1/2 hours
Sound rating (dB) 64 dB
Start type Recoil
Surge watts (watts) 2500
Product Height 18.52 in.
Product Length 22.6 in. in.
Product Weight 29kg/63.93lbs
Product Width 12.61 in.
Shipping Weight

69.85 lb.

9 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

The quality control standards come from the company sourcing the goods, not from China or the Chinese manufacturers. Your right people go there for cheap labor & infastructure it is price driven. I'm not saying China makes anything better or any worse then any other country, but to say Chinese manufacturing is c r a p is a misguided false truth many of us are told. It's the companies moving manufacturing to China & reducing quality control methods to increase margins that causes cheap c r a p . 

I don't want to derail the thread by continuing this so i am going to keep it short but go back and read what I actually wrote and understand what you just stated was exactly what I stated and if you would have read it properly the first time you wouldn't have had to climb on that soap box. ;)

but in my experience the way you shed $500 off the cost of a generator is to use Chinese parts for the engine and electronics and have those parts be rated at a lower duty life. 

Edited by PurpleFloyd

Well boys, it is really not proper or correct to indict all "Chinese manufacturing" as shoddy,  although I agree a lot of what comes out of that country is krappe.  However, laying on my desk at the moment is an Apple iPhone and I am working on my new MacBook Pro. You will find a lot of Chinese involvement in both products and personally I find them both superior electronic items.

It is the contracting company and their OVERSIGHT and constant DEMAND for quality that makes the difference.

So it is really incorrect and unfair to generalize and condemn ALL Chinese manufacturing.  I suspect  most of  you guys know that.

1 hour ago, Ufatz said:

Well boys, it is really not proper or correct to indict all "Chinese manufacturing" as shoddy,  although I agree a lot of what comes out of that country is krappe.  However, laying on my desk at the moment is an Apple iPhone and I am working on my new MacBook Pro. You will find a lot of Chinese involvement in both products and personally I find them both superior electronic items.

It is the contracting company and their OVERSIGHT and constant DEMAND for quality that makes the difference.

So it is really incorrect and unfair to generalize and condemn ALL Chinese manufacturing.  I suspect  most of  you guys know that.

Nobody did but thanks.

Why support foreign countries? Buy Owens/ Cummings an american global company.  How many Honda generators do you see in an Rv, Coach, tour bus application? How many Honda's do you see in a stand buy application, Hospitals, stores, office buildings, box stores? Thank  god there is not Chinese and Japanese fish houses hitting our frozen lakes ;)

I will say that I have bought some tools at Harbor Freight and also gotten some free with coupons and by and large they are just fine for what I use them for, not like the cheap tools in the old days (remember COMB?).  

If I were a person that depended on my tools to make my living that would be different.  

------------------------

Hey Elky.  Does Cummings make a quiet light portable generator like folks are talking about?  What does it sell for?  Which stores carry it?   If I wanted a small emergency generator for our lake cabin, say 5000 watts, which model would you recommend? 

40 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I will say that I have bought some tools at Harbor Freight and also gotten some free with coupons and by and large they are just fine for what I use them for, not like the cheap tools in the old days (remember COMB?).  

If I were a person that depended on my tools to make my living that would be different.  

------------------------

What if you depended on the generator to keep the furnace and lights going out on the middle of a big lake during a blizzard at 25 below to keep your family from freezing to death?  Is saving a few shekels worth all of that?

17 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Chinese manufacturers can make high quality products.  They can make inexpensive products of lower quality as well.   It comes down to the retailer and the customer and what they want. 

For example, Harbor Freight sells a generator sort of like the Honda et al for 449, and with the 20 percent off coupon it is down to 359. 

Is it the quality of the Honda?  Seems unlikely.  Is it good enough?  Now that is the question, eh?

|

• 2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III

Predator Generators 61169 2500 Watts Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP  (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator

Double click on above image to view full picture

2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III

Predator Generators - item#61169

This lightweight inverter generator delivers efficient power for electronics, small appliances and tools

Purchase In Store Only

comp at $999.00
Only: $449.99

Product Overview
Description

Using built-in inverter technology this inverter generator produces a cleaner power curve ideal for sensitive electronics. The efficient design of this inverter generator gives you more power with lower fuel consumption. Lighter weight than conventional generators, the inverter generator is ideal for RV, camping and boating use.
  • 125cc air-cooled OHV gas engine
  • 5-1/2 hours run-time @ 50% capacity
  • Low oil indicator
  • Fully enclosed high-impact housing
  • Electronic overload protection
  • (1) 120V , 20A duplex outlets, 3 prong, (1) 12V DC – 2 pin outlet
  • Recoil start

Not for sale in California. This item can only be shipped within the 48 contiguous states via Standard Ground Shipping. In order to return this item for a refund or replacement, all fuel must first be drained.

At 64 db it would be about twice as loud as the Honda.

To answer both questions in one post..... In a life dependent situation I'm not sure I would be happy with either the Honda or a cheaper generator.  There is a reason that stuff that life depends on is made to a very high standard and is very expensive.  

I have no idea as to the reliability or dependability of the Predator vrs the Honda, but the Honda is 3x more expensive.  So depending on an individual's application it might be worth taking a chance or not.  Depends on one's risk tolerance/risk aversion.  But you could buy two Harbor Freight units and have redundancy and still have 300 bucks left over, compared to the Honda. 

As for noise, as I recall 3dB is the amount of change that is considered perceptible.  So the 5dB difference would indeed be noticeable.   

The predator has a larger engine, and a 20 amp outlet.  It is 2200 running watts, vrs 1600 for the Honda.  

Lots of stuff to consider to make a decision in the free market....

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

To answer both questions in one post..... In a life dependent situation I'm not sure I would be happy with either the Honda or a cheaper generator.  There is a reason that stuff that life depends on is made to a very high standard and is very expensive.  

I have no idea as to the reliability or dependability of the Predator vrs the Honda, but the Honda is 3x more expensive.  So depending on an individual's application it might be worth taking a chance or not.  Depends on one's risk tolerance/risk aversion.  But you could buy two Harbor Freight units and have redundancy and still have 300 bucks left over, compared to the Honda. 

As for noise, as I recall 3dB is the amount of change that is considered perceptible.  So the 5dB difference would indeed be noticeable.   

The predator has a larger engine, and a 20 amp outlet.  It is 2200 running watts, vrs 1600 for the Honda.  

Lots of stuff to consider to make a decision in the free market....

I'm looking at generators right now too and have not made a decision so I am not advocating any particular generator but for the sake of accuracy I think you can buy a Honda inverter for $999 which would make it only about twice as expensive as the Harbor Freight.

Also the Honda is rated at 53 to 59 db compared to 64 db. I'm not sure if that is the low end or the high end reading but if it is the low end it would put the Harbor Freight unit at 11 db louder than the Honda which would be twice as loud. We also don't know if the testing was done at the same distance which could skew the results also.

I'd love it if someone would put out a less expensive generator with the same performance and reliability of a Honda or Yamaha but I haven't found one yet. I need 2 of them so I can run them in tandem to operate my RV air conditioning from time to time so 2 Hondas is going to get expensive. 2 Harbor Freights would be much easier on the wallet but I'm not sure I'm convinced especially since one of my main criteria would be quiet operation.

i cant help think that the hondas are expesinve by 2-3 hundy for one reason. reputation. they have come down, 899.99 in some places. im getting another to tandem my aircon also. why cause i can. i buy the best i can afford. if i coulnt afford a hond id be buying generix. or id really pinch the pennies till i could buy a honda. 

The opinions on db levels is almost comical so I installed a db meter on my Samsung s5 smart phone. Amazing how well it works. In my office door closed no sound it sits at 24 db same as leaves rustling which is the ambient sound in my house from things running up stairs and equipment room. My wall clock ticks every second which increases the db by 1. When I type this email my keyboard sound hits 37 to 40 a quiet library. It goes to 64 when I open my door and the AC kicks on. With my Shark Vacuum running 5 ft. away it goes to 73. We tolerate all of these db levels every day and I really do not hear much difference between 53 db and 63 db. 53 db is moderate rainfall in an open doorway and 63 db is normal conversation 3 ft way, like 2 people talking across a dinner table and my ac running down the hallway. If one can not tolerate that kind of nose, one may choose to stop talking at the dinner table and turn the ac off. Put it on your phone, it cool. and check levels for yourself. It has a 4.5 rate on 500 reviews.

sound meter app (700x394).jpg

Edited by papadarv
correct spell

1 hour ago, papadarv said:

The opinions on db levels is almost comical so I installed a db meter on my Samsung s5 smart phone. Amazing how well it works. In my office door closed no sound it sits at 24 db same as leaves rustling which is the ambient sound in my house from things running up stairs and equipment room. My wall clock ticks every second which increases the db by 1. When I type this email my keyboard sound hits 37 to 40 a quiet library. It goes to 64 when I open my door and the AC kicks on. With my Shark Vacuum running 5 ft. away it goes to 73. We tolerate all of these db levels every day and I really do not hear much difference between 53 db and 63 db. 53 db is moderate rainfall in an open doorway and 63 db is normal conversation 3 ft way, like 2 people talking across a dinner table and my ac running down the hallway. If one can not tolerate that kind of nose, one may choose to stop talking at the dinner table and turn the ac off. Put it on your phone, it cool. and check levels for yourself. It has a 4.5 rate on 500 reviews.

sound meter app (700x394).jpg

Those Shark vacs are noisy and poor quality. You should have bought a Miele,then you would really have something. :grin:

5 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:I'm looking at generators right now too and have not made a decision so I am not advocating any particular generator but for the sake of accuracy I think you can buy a Honda inverter for $999 which would make it only about twice as expensive as the Harbor Freight.

Also the Honda is rated at 53 to 59 db compared to 64 db. I'm not sure if that is the low end or the high end reading but if it is the low end it would put the Harbor Freight unit at 11 db louder than the Honda which would be twice as loud. We also don't know if the testing was done at the same distance which could skew the results also.

I'd love it if someone would put out a less expensive generator with the same performance and reliability of a Honda or Yamaha but I haven't found one yet. I need 2 of them so I can run them in tandem to operate my RV air conditioning from time to time so 2 Hondas is going to get expensive. 2 Harbor Freights would be much easier on the wallet but I'm not sure I'm convinced especially since one of my main criteria would be quiet operation.

If your looking for the quite 51 dB to 59dB range the two really affordable ones that are popular with good reviews are the Champion 2000 & the Wen 2000. The Wen has a Yamaha motor in it. They even use the Yamaha magnetic plug in it.  Both the champion & Wen can do the specs they quote. However if you try to run the 15amp heavy start load stuff on them they can struggle a bit.  Where the Yamaha & Honda purr.

The Yamaha & Honda both seem to be built to handle more then what the specs are for them. Especially the Honda with the bigger motor. The problem is they run $999 and the Champion & Wen run about $450, both have good reviews and seem to be pretty reliable. So do you buy 2 of the others for the price of one Honda or Yamaha? 

If you've heard some of the cheapies side by side you'll never believe Db ratings again. Fleet has a sign by the Generics that says "Questions pertaining to Db ratings and quality issues must be handled by calling Generic at....." The guy there says they get complaints almost daily by ticked off people.