Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
RebelSS

More dnr regs....

It just keeps going and going....just received this. Just in time for the opener...:whistle:

DNR news: Mandatory training required for aquatic invasive species violators

Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

MN Department of Natural Resources dnr.updates@updates.mndnr.gov via service.govdelivery.com 

9:22 AM (10 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources header

DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                         May 11, 2016

Mandatory training required for aquatic invasive species violators

Starting this boating season, anyone found guilty of violating Minnesota’s aquatic invasive species laws will not only have to pay the required fines but will also have to complete mandatory training. The short “Clean In Clean Out” training must be completed before people found guilty of violating Minnesota’s aquatic invasive species laws can legally operate their watercraft again anywhere in the state.

“The class is free and easy to take either online or with a paper home-study,” said April Rust, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources invasive species training coordinator. “Anyone interested in learning more about how to protect Minnesota waters from invasive species can also take the free online class.” 

The “Clean In Clean Out” training is available at www.mndnr.gov/CICOtraining.

“Minnesotans overall are doing the right things, and the rate of compliance with aquatic invasive species laws is increasing every year," said Maj. Todd Kanieski, DNR Enforcement operations manager. “The few individuals who violate these laws are the highest risk factor for infesting a lake or river. We want to not only help people avoid a citation but, more importantly, keep 95 percent of Minnesota’s lakes off the infested waters list.” 

Boaters and anglers can comply with Minnesota’s invasive species laws by remembering Clean, Drain, Dispose:

• Clean aquatic plants and prohibited invasive species from watercraft,
  • Drain lake or river water from all equipment and keep drain plugs out during transport, and
  • Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash, not in the water. 

Lake property owners are reminded that docks and lifts must be cleaned and allowed to dry for at least 21 days before moving them to another body of water.

More information about aquatic invasive species and how to prevent their spread is atwww.mndnr.gov/ais.

What burns my you know what is that the guy who put a zebra mussel infested boat lift in the water by Perham a couple of years ago got fined something like $50-$100.  Are you going to let a used boat lift you bought sit for 21 days before you put it in the water for a piddly fine like that?   Well some of us might but some would just put it in the water.  Most people try to do the right thing but there are always those that think they are too good to be bothered by things like this.

Now if the fine was $500 maybe it would mean something.

5 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

You sounded irritated. 

And I agree with LPS that the fine for something egregious like putting something with zeebs on it into a lake ought to be painful. 

Reb's probably just trying to head off another long drawn out Del battle over sharing some info! ;)

Nope,not irritated Del,  just think in some areas they go a bit too far, and not enough in other areas.  Concentrate more on large vessels/equipment  moving upstream/downstream from other waters. I watched a guy that had pulled his boat out of Pepin right after me,  go over it, pull plugs, check under it, etc. He was really following the rules. A CO came along, double-checked us, and finds a piece of a plant the size of your thumbnail between a roller and bottom of the boat. Writes the guy a ticket right there. Did that help the situation? No, it did not. I wouldn't have seen the piece either, and only did because I was standing 6' away from the CO. Nail the ones that aren't as careful? You bet. You know I'm a big believer in the law. But sometimes they push it in the wrong direction, IMO, and since I spent my career in that, I've got a good viewpoint.

22 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Nope,not irritated Del,  just think in some areas they go a bit too far, and not enough in other areas.  Concentrate more on large vessels/equipment  moving upstream/downstream from other waters. I watched a guy that had pulled his boat out of Pepin right after me,  go over it, pull plugs, check under it, etc. He was really following the rules. A CO came along, double-checked us, and finds a piece of a plant the size of your thumbnail between a roller and bottom of the boat. Writes the guy a ticket right there. Did that help the situation? No, it did not. I wouldn't have seen the piece either, and only did because I was standing 6' away from the CO. Nail the ones that aren't as careful? You bet. You know I'm a big believer in the law. But sometimes they push it in the wrong direction, IMO, and since I spent my career in that, I've got a good viewpoint.

I personally don't thing they've taken it far enough yet! Every boater should have to watch this video. DNR should get with the times and just like a snowmobile, motorcycle, and car, make people take a class before operating a boat. It's that simple! Done! What's more upsetting is the DNR coward footing around this subject. They've failed hard twice with the stickers.

*and "coward" was not the word I used...thanks HSO!

Edited by ClownColor

Making people pay money to get the sticker and having no provision for out of state folks blew up at least one of the plans.  

I don't now what the solution is.  One problem is there are a lot of dumb people, and people who really don't give a carp.  You know, the ones that dump fish guts and throw beer cans in the ditch and stuff like that.   I can't see how to prevent AIS spreading in any way that would be acceptable to the voters. 

1 minute ago, Juneau4 said:

What happens if you have an old 12' boat and there is no drain plug hole. So hence no way to drain it.

I drilled mine out for that reason and threw a plug in.  Total project cost about 7-10 bucks, a handful of beers, and about 3 hours in the garage(15 actual working minutes but gotta sit around for a bit!)

1 minute ago, RebelSS said:

Tell me this......how do you prove you've dumped out the water in yer minnow keeper, and added new when you leave the lake??

I set up a video crew every time I leave the lake and live stream it.  In all honesty I know a guy who talked to a DNR and was told most of them will only really hit you if they see you dumping bait where your not supposed to.  Dont know how true that is but...

6 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

What happens if you have an old 12' boat and there is no drain plug hole. So hence no way to drain it.

They can't nail ya for something that does not exist. That wouldn't fly for a minute.

10 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I drilled mine out for that reason and threw a plug in.  Total project cost about 7-10 bucks, a handful of beers, and about 3 hours in the garage(15 actual working minutes but gotta sit around for a bit!)

How thick was your transom? Mine where the plug would go is maybe only 3/16 thick. I could drill a hole 1" from the top of transom and stick a plug in it. No law I know that says where the plug has to be.

5 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

How thick was your transom? Mine where the plug would go is maybe only 3/16 thick. I could drill a hole 1" from the top of transom and stick a plug in it. No law I know that says where the plug has to be.

Mine was very thin... Threw some big washers and nuts on that came in a kit to distribute the load a little.  Wont be up at the lake for a few weeks but I can snag a pic if you want.  I would bet the DNR wouldnt care where the plug is though.  If there is substantial water in there they will try and get you whether they are in the right or not.  Other option is to just hook into your trolling motor bat with a $10 12v pump...Ive done that before when I sank my boat at the dock after a hard rain.:eek:

For reference my plug is 100% in the boat, a big socket sized plug comes into the boat where I pop in my plug.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

5 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

Use your noggin!, as the drain plug I mean.:lol::lol:

Just now, RebelSS said:

Don't give 'em anymore ideas. Next you'll have to turn the boat over 180* and shake it dry. :grin:

Heard talk of one of those heater fans that dry your car after a wash is going to be installed at every launch in MN, with towel and polish stations.

1 minute ago, RebelSS said:

Don't give 'em anymore ideas. Next you'll have to turn the boat over 180* and shake it dry. :grin:

That's what I'm afraid of.:D Never any water in boat, coffee yes. I spill things.

You just HAD to, didn't you?!  :P I still would like to see some statistics that the majority of the spread of AIS comes from water in boats...I just don't believe it.