• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanksgiving Time

McGurk

It's here again, that time when we get shoved out of the kitchen for 75 year old recipes and techniques that just don't do it for me.  I've invaded this holiday with new methods and recipes with much success, and we need a spot to anchor them.  Write away and don't hold back on your opinions, successes, and failures!

Here's an old thread with a bunch of talk about roasting, brining, and grilling (and some recipes if I remember right):

First off: the turkey.  Want to save time and space, and end up with more even'y cooked bird? Here's a vid on why and how to spatchcock your turkey this year:

Edited by McGurk

I think the basics of Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Gravy are fine but there does need to be a few sides that show a little creativity thrown into the mix.  Also, when we eat at the in laws the turkey is always cold by the time we eat it.  Why is that okay?    Sometimes I look around the table and wonder how everyone can rave about the meal, except being polite, when nothing is hot any more.  What do they eat on a daily basis?

With very little effort you can try:

1.  White Castle stuffing

2.  Cheesy hash browns with corn flakes

3.  Asian salad 

4.  any pie other than pumpkin and apple

Gals still should honor the tradition of doing the dishes and putting the china away that they got as a wedding gift umpteen years ago.

Things sure have changed over the years. Early on it was always at grandma's, everything done in one oven and usually spot on. Now with families changing and grandparents gone it's gotten to the point where most families complain about hosting it, so we usually cave.

We have been doing about the same menu (except grandpas mince meat pie)but do say a 12 pounder on the grill and a 12 pounder in the oven, keeping other stuff warm on another grill ....I'm just not sure how grandma pulled it off for so many years...

Last year's 12 lb. model hot off the Weber after an hour and a half. Nothing cold or dried out about it. Of course the libations and broiled crab meat stuffed mushroom cap appetizers put everyone in the mood. Reminds me, I need to make a run to get this year's victim.Takes a while to thaw them out.This will make 30 years of turkey on the grill for Thanksgiving, give or take. No two have been alike. The secret is starting off with a little tincture in my a.m. coffee and making sure I maintain my festive attitude every half hour when I baste it. It definitely improves my improvisational skills. Mrs. Cheviot makes a mean pumpkin pie but the ensuing nap is really dessert.

20141127_124245-1.jpg

Another picture....

Brown Butter Apple tart (from gourmet or bon appetit, I forget)

IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.c81fdde1cbd9ad8e193cb

It is really hard to find pictures in a pile of thousands.... 

Anyway, over the years at thanksgiving and easter I have made, in additon to pecan and pumpkin pie and apple pie, sweet potato pie, chocolate mousse pie, French Silk Pie, Lemon Chess :Pie, Key Lime Pie, Fresh Fruit and pastry cream tart, coconut cake,

If you want something lighter, I would suggest lemon chess pie (recipe follows) or key lime pie.  Both are very good and very easy. 

Lemon (Virginia) Chess Pie

½ stick butter (not too hard)

1 ½  Cups granulated sugar

4 eggs

Juice 2 lemons

(some lemon zest--optional)

1 scant T cornmeal

work butter and sugar together

break eggs into butter and sugar mixture and

stir until well broken and worked in, but do not beat

Add Lemon juice and corn meal

Bake in a rich pastry pie crust  in moderate (350) oven until golden brown on top.

Christ Church Cook Book,

Petersburg, VA

Note:  I usually make a little more filling than this by using 5 eggs and 1 ¾ cup sugar and maybe a little extra lemon (to taste). 

Blind bake the crust at least partially if you are feeling ambitious since I think it makes a better pie.  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. 

Key Lime Pie

Lime Filling

4teaspoons grated lime zest
½cup lime juice from 3 to 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Graham Cracker Crust

11 graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 ¼ cups)
3tablespoons granulated sugar
5tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Whipped Cream Topping

¾cup heavy cream
¼cup confectioners' sugar
½ lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

1. For the Filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.

2. For the Crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

4. For the Whipped Cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

Holidays are can be awsome! but as I grow older, It gets tougher and tougher to almost be forced to put on a show to say your thankful, when I give thanks every day for all I have. traditions are changing for sure.  I like to make new traditions. Like Christmas, it use to be one could spend a 100 bucks per kid and have the tree loaded with gifts. Now its closer to 400 per kid and they have 1-2 gifts under the tree. I like to splurge and rent a motel room for me and my family, invite other family members for a night, and have a gathering of fellowship. I love to BBQ and will do it all year, love doing skinless chicken on the grill. burgs and a variety of things. 

Thanksgiving used to be at my house for a long time.  I did it all.  Now for the last few years my daughters have been hosting the meals at their house's.  At first it was hard for me to give it all up.  Sure it was a lot of work and prep time but I loved it, every minute of it.  Still do, but it's real easy getting used to less work LOL.  Our Thanksgiving meals have been pretty traditional while our Christmas meals have been all over the place at times.  With all the great stuff on the table on  that special day it is the stuffing that is everyone's favorite.  I have it on my recipe page.  i still make it every year and that's the only thing she let's me bring.  They still allow me to roam the kitchen and help out here and there.  I look forward to not only every holiday, but any time I can to be with my family.  good luck.IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.cebc629769434cade51ef

Another way to simplify your marathon cook is to get the stuffing out of the oven, too.  You can start from scratch if you get a couple of loaves of crunchy french bread (or whatever looks good to you) and cube them, then allowing them to stale overnight.  There are a multitude of recipes for slow cooker stuffing, and here is one to get you started:

INGREDIENTSNutrition

• 2cups chopped onions
  • 12cups thinly sliced celery
  • 1cup diced tart apple, peeled and cored
  • 14cup butter
  • 1tablespoon ground sage
  • 1teaspoon ground marjoram
  • 1teaspoon salt (cut as needed)
  • 1teaspoon pepper
  • 12teaspoon thyme
  • 12cups lightly toasted bread, cubes
  • 14cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 12cups chicken stock or vegetable broth 

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large fry pan saute onions, celery and apple in butter until onion is just translucent.
  2. Stir in sage, marjoram, salt, pepper, savory and thyme.
  3. Combine vegetable mixture with the bread cubes and parsley.
  4. Toss well.
  5. Pour stock over mixture, tossing well.
  6. Spoon into your crock-pot.
  7. Cover and cook on high for one hour.
  8. Reduce to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour.

This weekend I will eat a oven cooked turkey but on Thanksgiving day I always cook my turkey on the Weber with the rotisserie. I will put a pan under the turkey with a quart of Swanson chicken broth to catch the drippings for some of the best gravy. I love a big bird so I have lots of leftovers so I can make up some turkey pot pies :)

I jumped the gun and I apologize for what is to be seen. Our family unit shrunk do to life. Anyways this year a different rout. Early smoked turkey to enhance our non traditional menu for the day. Now to intergate this into the menue to pay tribute to the past. Main course I wanted chuck roast smoked but a ham feels better. Any suggestions to intagrate?

20151119_205527.jpg

Ya! Ok! This baby wont last until next week. I will say after many  turkey smoked the traditional way this way by far tiumphs over the traditional way. Now I have to go back to the grocery store. One more good thing i'm getting some great greavy and stuffing fixins

20151119_221631.jpg

Looks great, waker!  Hard to not eat a bird like that for a week, so get another one!

Today, Sweet Potato dish alternative.  I, for one, do not like canned sweet potatoes. (Ducks for cover)  Lumping butter, brown sugar, and marshmallows on top make it even worse IMHO. (head-down and hands behind my neck in the bunker) My wife is even more anti-canned S.P.s than I am, so we found this recipe and have enjoyed it.  Don't forget to toast the walnuts or pecans!

"This recipe is perfect because it skips the oven—and stovetop—entirely. You’ll love the sweet, spicy sauce; the melt-in-your-mouth-tender potatoes; and crunch of the toasted walnuts.”

You will need:

• 3 lbs sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into 2'' chunks

• 2 (8-oz) cans pineapple chunks, drained but liquid reserved

• 1/2 cup dark brown sugar

• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

• 1 stick butter, melted

• 1/2 cup molasses

• 3 Tbsp cornstarch

• 1-1/2 cups walnut pieces, toasted

1. Place the potatoes and pineapple in a large bowl; set aside.
  2. Combine a 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and molasses in a separate medium-size bowl, then add the mixture to the sweet potatoes. Toss to coat.
  3. Spoon the potatoes into a 4-qt (or larger) slow cooker and cook on high about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the potatoes are soft. Gently stir every half hour.
  4. Make a slurry by quickly whisking the cornstarch and pineapple liquid together in a small bowl. Slowly add the slurry; gently, but thoroughly, mix to combine.
  5. Bring the potatoes to a simmer and continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Reduce the temperature to low or keep warm. Carefully fold in the walnuts, being careful not to break apart potatoes. Serve warm.

HEY BOAR.......................aint you getting a bit nervous with turkey day soon upon us??????????? after all you are just one big turkey!!!!!!!!!!:P:P:D:D

oh and Rebel..............never mind!!!!!!!!!:grin:

Edited by smurfy

Hey waker, did you brine the Bird and if so what kinda brine.  

Hey smurf howes it going buddy? good to see you such good spirits today, that was good bit of jocularity. it tugged at my funny bone ol" chap!

Hey waker, did you brine the Bird and if so what kinda brine.  

Hey smurf howes it going buddy? good to see you such good spirits today, that was good bit of jocularity. it tugged at my funny bone ol" chap!

as long as I can be a big ole union bully I am always in a good mood!!!!!!!!!!!;)

I'm always looking for new ideas.  I was watching a cooking show and they had Wolfgang Puck on it.  He did something that was very simple and something I will try.  My daughter will do the turkey this time but I will try this with chicken for starters but will try this on a turkey on my own  [maybe with a beef roast, why not].  He took a aluminum roasting pan, cut some sweet potatoes to cover the bottom, put some chunks of butter on top of that, and set the turkey on the pan on top of the sweet potatoes.  He did the turkey in a pressure oven [kind of like a pressure cooker] but I will do this in the oven [it just will take longer].

When the turkey was done, he took the turkey out of the roasting pan.  Then he poured the drippings in a saucepan, and put about half the sweet potatoes in the drippings [looked about two cups cooked].  Put a little salt and pepper in and used a upright blender to blend everything up [One of those hand held blenders].  Tasted it and the folks around it said it tasted great.  So what do I take away from this?  It is simple and a tasty combo of the turkey drippings and the tasty sweet potatoes blended in so smooth you do not need to add flour.  I'll give it a shot [after all he is German]. good luck.