• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrel for dinner.

Cheetah

So my wife really dislikes the idea of eating squirrel.  She likes rabbit though, and while out last weekend I couldn't get any rabbits to show themselves but I managed to take home a couple fox squirrels that made the mistake of appearing together as I was finishing up my hunt.    I told her I shot a rabbit...  Sutty and DonBo better not spill the beans on Facebook where she will see it.  :whistle:    

I am planning to slow-cook them with a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, and then cut up the meat for a squirrel pot pie.  Hopefully my kids will eat that too, the older one is a bit picky these days.

Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to prepare them?   

Fox%20Squirrels_1.jpg

I lived on those things in the late 70's when I had no money, but some good woods to hunt. I'd skin 'em, soak 'em over nite in mild salted water, then toss in the crock-pot with carrots, taters, and onions, sprinkle liberally with pepper and some Rosemary. Use a half can of milk to dilute the soup, not water.  Ya can dump any kind of cream of soup that ya want on top....pretty hard to mess up. Just slow cook on low, because some of the old males were tough enough to retread yer tires with. :grin:

PS...if yer real brave, you can slit open their "pouch", crop, whatever ya call it, and take out the whitish, smooth paste, that is ground up nut meats. Dry in the sun, and sprinkle on cakes and cookies, like the old-timers did. It's not bad, never hurt me. Uh, excuse me, I feel the need to chase that acorn.....

Edited by RebelSS

Every few years or so we will eat up a few that try making a home in the sheds or garages. First thing I do is soak in buttermilk overnight.....actually....usually to lazy and cheap to buy it so will just use milk and vinegar. This will take away some of the gaminess and tenderize the meat a little. Next i will most often just simmer in chicken stock for an hour or so still it becomes tender enough to easily peel off the bone. Afterwhich, will just use the meat in soups, stews, bbq sliders, quesadillas, tacos, stir fry....whatever. Like your pot pie idea.

Clean the squirrels good,   removing the little scent glands in rear legs. Cut into hind and front quarters, which is about all the meat there is.   Dredge in seasoned flour and then brown in bacon fat,  turning them for a few minutes. Put in cast iron pot with a lid and a little water. Cook 300 for a couple hours.  Dump 'em out on platter and dig in.  Some wild rice is nice and some cranberry sauce really tops it off.

THAT is squirrel the way it is MADE to be eaten.......the old fashioned way.....not with a bunch of creamed soups and  fancy-scmancy stuff.

thursday. 3 a.m. :) 

THAT is squirrel the way it is MADE to be eaten.......the old fashioned way.....not with a bunch of creamed soups and  fancy-scmancy stuff.

???

I beg to differ.  throw the whole thing into a crockpot with some cream of chicken soup, a cut up onion and some cajon powder.  mmmmm!

Skin, cut up into thirds, front , middle, and rear, brine for 24 hours in a gallon of water and a 1/4 cup of mortens tender quik curing salt. ( works great on ducks and geese as well) rinse and dry and then into the smoker for one hour, then to the pressure cooker for 60 minutes, meat will fall off of the bone. I then use the meat in soups and stews.. The key is the brine..

Skin, cut up into thirds, front , middle, and rear, brine for 24 hours in a gallon of water and a 1/4 cup of mortens tender quik curing salt. ( works great on ducks and geese as well) rinse and dry and then into the smoker for one hour, then to the pressure cooker for 60 minutes, meat will fall off of the bone. I then use the meat in soups and stews.. The key is the brine..

I like this idea. That might be my next attempt. With really lean game like rabbits and gray squirrels, I quarter and soak in a mild salt water overnight, then apply some oil and rib rub, then grill over coals, then into a crock pot to tenderize with some chicken stock.

Sometimes a simple rub of oil and seasoning and a trip to the frying pan can be a good route to go, too.

Edited by pikestabber