• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

too warm to hunt dogs?

I know Mn pheasant opener is this weekend as well as the SD resident opener. Forecast is up to 80+ degrees in some areas. Where do you as a dog handler draw the line? I know not everyone is fortunate to run multiple dogs, rotate dogs etc.

A lot of upland dogs are ramped up and hard charging especially these first hunts of the year. I have 2 GSP's and although one is pretty much retired they dont know when to stop and can get over heated rather easily when it gets that warm especially going through thick cover. Granted they are both in great shape and both are already conditioned for the season. But I am already hesitant to head out this weekend and put in a full days hunt with the temps being this warm.

I have access to some water in a few areas but I can also see some long gaps in between places we walk where I could get them in water to cool them off.

I am as anxious as ever to get out and shoot some birds but I think I am going to play it safe and just limit our hunting to just before sundown this weekend. Good luck to everyone that makes it out this weekend, just remember to keep a close eye on those dogs and do what you can to keep them cool and drink lots of water.

when it's over 60 I don't even like hunting the dogs but I do and carry water and hunt near water then.  It seems it takes about one intense flush and retrieve and since the dog was hunting hard even before that the dog is overheated in 70 degree weather.  That whole situation makes it no fun for me, I spend the whole time worrying about the dog.

My daughter told me that this weekend the weather looked awesome and asked if I was going to the cabin.  I looked at her and explained 75 degrees isn't awesome to a guy that hunts, maybe I'd take the dogs fishing.

Yeah, this is going to be too warm for my liking. If I didn't already have some conflicts this weekend I may go for a bit in the morning, but that would be about it. Its a long season, still lots of crops in the fields so I am just going to most likely sit it out. Anything over 60 isn't much fun for ME either.

You and I can feel the breeze above the weeds, the dogs can't. I always hit much as I can right away then keep an eye on the temp, if it's 60 around noon I'm done. Drive around check out some ares and see what the hunting pressure is like. Don't forget about blue green algae fellas in some of these watering holes,  might be a bad year for it...

Too warm and the crops are still up all over the place. I'll let the eager beavers run themselves raged through October. After deer season when all the soft-skinned fellers call it quits, that's when Team Wirehair will mop up all the extras...and there are always LOTS of extras come the big freeze...

Good reminder for everyone!! 

I'll be opening in MN this year, 9 AM vs noon really helps!!! The spot I have picked out for Sat has water, may rethink my Sunday spot -- or stay home.  52 forecast for Sat at 9 am, 61 for 9 am Sunday.  I'll carry a couple quarts of water both days and probably only hunt 1.5-2 hours.

I have opened in SoDak before, noon opener, 80 degrees, that sucks. You've drove all that ways, big group of guys, you want to hunt. We'd just try to do short runs and keep finding water tanks to dip the dogs in. And water buckets in every truck.

One other caution is that dogs really, really get heated up chasing a downed bird!!! Be careful, call off the chase if the bird isn't found right away.

Have fun everyone!!!

What sucks is if you wing a bird, and it takes off running down a cornfield. The dogs just dont like to give up on them when they are on foot, and there is no breeze in them cornfields, and the heat and humidity is much worse in the middle, then it is on the outside of the field. My dogs are way more important to me then a couple birds, that will still be around when it cools off.

at least in MN you are able to start hunting in the morning right? Over here in SD we cant start until noon for the first 7 days of the season. Get a 10am start after that.

9 AM is the start. Yes, that does make a huge difference. I wouldn't even think about it if it were noon here IMO.

Can't tell you how happy I am to see these posts.  Now get out there and spread the word to those people who may not know any better than to run dog in the heat. If they get annoyed when you remind them just laugh it off. Our RESPONSIBILITY is to our canine pals......we have to do SOME thinking for them.

forecast of 79  and windy on Saturday and 86 on Sunday in my area here in SE SD....yuck. I guess there is some good news, this warm dry weather will help speed up harvest

Exactly. We got a pretty good shot of rain yesterday that stalled the farmers, but it's been windy and dry now and with the forecast in the 80s this weekend, I'm sure they'll hit it hard. 

I don't know why everyone is always in such a rush to see all the corn gone. Yes it makes it easier to hunt pheasants but its also easier for everyone else. I LIKE it when there is a lot of corn in the fields on the opener, let the opener horde of hunters struggle, leaves more roosters for later in the season. If the crops were all gone it would be a slaughter. Plus as the corn fields go out, you can keep an out eye out, hunt that field right now!!  Plus even now, with lots of corn out, hunt in the evening and take that last pass next to the standing corn, birds are coming out to roost in the grass. Once the corn goes out, that strategy doesn't work.

More pluses than minuses as far as I'm concerned with a slow harvest.

I agree BlackJack, I like the corn as well. I hunt a half a dozen farms within walking distance of home and as each farmer harvests the corn I move from farm to farm hitting the edges and nearby cover. The week during deer season I stay off their farms for obvious reasons, but hit them afterwards and have great success as the birds haven't really had anyone chasing them during this time. Makes for some enjoyable weekends in late November/early December.

Can't tell you how happy I am to see these posts.  Now get out there and spread the word to those people who may not know any better than to run dog in the heat. If they get annoyed when you remind them just laugh it off. Our RESPONSIBILITY is to our canine pals......we have to do SOME thinking for them.

It gets me really irritated when I see someone jogging with their "sporting breed" down the paved highway or bike trail all summer long with no water for either of them. Stupid people.

I can hunt my Wirehair at 60 degrees,  but not for real long.    I always worry about pond or lake water with potential algae problems.   Blue-Green Algae is toxic to dogs and it is really hard to keep a hot dog out of the water.  

rundrave, do you think there is any chance of getting the start time moved up?    i would think if hunters got on board and had the Fish and Game on board there would be a chance.   i read somewhere that 200 dogs died on opener last year.   A person would think that would lead to some action.    Just kind of curious if there has been any discussion?

I can hunt my Wirehair at 60 degrees,  but not for real long.    I always worry about pond or lake water with potential algae problems.   Blue-Green Algae is toxic to dogs and it is really hard to keep a hot dog out of the water.  

rundrave, do you think there is any chance of getting the start time moved up?    i would think if hunters got on board and had the Fish and Game on board there would be a chance.   i read somewhere that 200 dogs died on opener last year.   A person would think that would lead to some action.    Just kind of curious if there has been any discussion?

The SoDak start time won't be moved, its a money maker for South Dakota businesses.  People have time to kill so what do they do?? Go out for breakfast in the morning. Or if you're in the mood, go hit the bars in the evening since you don't start until noon. Its a racket.

As Blackjack said, South Dakota does a late start so hunters will go out and spend money locally grin I dont see it changing at all in the near future.

Hunted for 45 minutes just before dark last night. Really wish it would cool off. Heading to Huron for 4 days later this week! The next few days are going to drag.