• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne Bros. Rods

protrapper

Question

Just wondering what u guys think of the Thorne Bros. rods. I use 6 Genz rods 4 for panfish and 2 for eyes. I have a St. Croix panfish rod but i dont like it. I was thinking of getting some Thorne Bros. rods in panfish and perch actions. I have heard there great. Guy can never have enough rods too bad G-Loomis didnt make a ice fishing rod.

I've used the Thorne Bros. "Sweet Heart" walleye rods for a few years and they are excellent. I know they make some nice panfish rods too. Check out the "Sweet Heart" series for panfish. I think they have one designed specifically for jumbo perch. I'd like to buy 1 or 2 of them myself. Right now I'm using Genz rods for panfish and I think they're great, especially for the price. A Thorne Bros. rod is the next step up, but it will cost you about $20-30 more than the Genz. I'm a big supporter of St. Croix rods for open water, but was a little disappointed in the feel of their new ice rods. Vern

Both of my walleye ice fishing rods are made with Loomis blanks... Some places will sell busted off tips or seconds fairly cheep. As long as the flaw isn't in the top 30" or so, your fine!...

and like was already stated.. it really isn't that hard to learn, or doesn't take that much money to get started!

The only Thorne Bros rod that I have ever had I felt the eyes were to small for the type of fishing I do. I like the Genz rods for there feel and the good sized eyes. But, there are better rods for sale on this site for half the price. These rods have an IM6 graphite blank that goes thru the handle, Aluminum oxide guides that are good sized. I used one of these rods this year and I am switching all my rods over next year. These rods are sold under the Croxton Pond label.

I use the sweetharts for panfish and so do alot of the guys that fish with me. I like the 28 inch rods, the rods do have small eyes like SCOTT said but the sensitivity is unmatched. The price is a little high but well worth it. I also have the genz rods and like them for the price they are a outstanding rod. I would recomend the purchase of a thorne bros sweethart rod, to me they are the best rods I have used for panfish.

I have two. One I bought in 1995 and don't remember the model, possibly a Sweet Thing Plus. The other one is a Sweet Thing Plus purchased about 3 years ago. They are awesome. The newer one has a better action with a sensitive tip and a fast taper. The older one has much slower taper and the tip is not as sensitvie. For the deepwater (over 25 feet) panfish or perch, you need a rod with some backbone to get a good hookset to offset the line stretch. Both these rods are 24 inches for fishing inside an Otter. I haven't looked at or fished with the rods that are on the market now, but I heard that Berkley tried to make the Genz rods similar to the Thorne Bros. rods.

[This message has been edited by Hookmaster (edited 01-29-2003).]

I have a 28" Walleye Sweetheart.... I love the thing. Sensitivity is AWESOME!!

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

I think that the thorne bros ice rods are great. But I think that the price is a little steep. I found that the Gaylans ice rod are very comparable to the thorne bros rods and are about half the price. I would take a look at both of them before you make a purchase. I bought one from gaylans last winter and love it. I think that they are nicer than the genz rods. Just my 2 cents! smile.gif ><>
deadeye

I bought some Galyan's rods about three years ago and i dont like them, thought they were too stiff, but thats my opion. Love my genz rods but i sure would love them thorne bros rods. Got some good input here. Has anyone tried the spring boober one?

I keep nine rods rigged up all winter. Some for panfish, some are more capable of big perch and crappies and three are for walleyes. The best walleye rod I own is a Thorne Walleye II. It's a glass 28" rod that's perfect for those deep water times, say 30' and more. I don't know if they make it any more but it cost alot less than the solid graphite models they sell. With a light reel, it won't sink if taken down the hole either! Love that big, long cork handle........T

I've got the Thorne Bros 28" Deadstick and can't say enough good things about this rod. Solid fiberglass with a built in spring bobber at the tip..... it also has the back bone to really set the hook. Had to use pliers to remove my jigs from the roof of those crappies mouths. This one is a little spendy but worth every penny!!!

Thorn Bro's make great sticks, I have a couple myself. I paid a small fortune for them too at the time.

My hands down favorite sticks I use 99% of the time were made by "Rods by Engel" of Fisher, MN.

Rod really works to make your sticks to order, just as you need them, with top components. I highly recommend his work! Sweet rods both long and short, you dream it up, he will make it.

"Rods be Engel"
Rod C. Engel
218-891-4415
218-289-0773

ed-logo.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-30-2003).]

I have a Walleye Sweetheart and a Deadstick rod by Thorne Bros. I love the sensitivity but the guides should be replace with fly rod single foot guids to preven ice build up. I have a Red Barn rog built with a G. Loomis blank that I use to battle big pike but the guides are still the open water variety. This rod does have a lock down reel seat which is nice for switching reels quickly and easier transport since the rod and reel can be taken apart in seconds with out using Tommy tape. My ideal rod would have sensitive blanks and cork handles like Thorne Bros., lock down reel seats like the Red Barn or any quality open water rod, and large fly rod single foot guides. I made such a rod out of a broken spinning rod and a broken fly rod and it is my favorite rod for jigging outside (it is two pieces but the 4 foot length is too long for inside a shelter).

Nice plug for my dad, Ed. He'll appreciate it and so do I. He aims to please! If there's a rod you can buy in the store, he can get the blank and do a better job on it than any mass-quantity producer. Also, it's almost a guarentee that you'll get the same rod for a better price and it will be personalized by going through my dad. I like having my name on my rods, choosing the color threads, what type of eyes I get, etc. He takes the time to worry about the little details that the mass-quantity producers don't bother with. Like I said, he almost always can beat the price you'll get for a rod in a store. Give him a hollar, he'll appreciate it.
Scoot

An interesting bit of info for you- virtually every rod maker who makes ice rods (from the small rod maker to the huge companies we all know) is making them from broken off or defective summer rods. Despite the fact that some deny this, it's true. Some sell both "ice fishing blanks" and "broken off blanks" for ice rods, but actually get both from the broken summer blanks!!!
I'm sure a number of people will jump in on this and say "no, I was guarenteed that this was an ice fishing blank". It may have been, but the odds of it having been produced off the factory line in its original form as an ice fishing is very slim. I've gotten this info. from the "horse's mouth" from rod blank people.
A little FYI for ya.
Scoot

Scott, I'm trying to find the Croxton Pond rods on this site and all I can find is the gear bag. Where would they be hiding? Also, how long has CP been around? Havent heard of them until this ice season. Guess I dont get out much blush.gif

Yo....Rod Bender

Talk to Scoot, Rod is his Dad and he can set you up.

I would drop Rod a call too, so you can talk through what you need. That is the best part, design to your needs, not what 18 bazzillion other folks get because so & so thinks that is what they need.

Get what ja want & want what ja get...Eh!

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 02-04-2003).]

Gadgetman, I tried to order 5 more 24" ultralights the other day and sad news... they are out for the season. There are still other sizes and lengths but that 24" ultra light was the perfect rod. I thought they were under the gear section but maybe they are not anymore. They had a few rods at the walleye expo still. You may want to call the 800 number and they could tell you what they have in stock if you know what size you are looking for. But, I can tell you the one I like is out for the season.

Hey protrapper-
Which ones did you get? I'm thinking of getting a couple more for panfish. I do have the walleye sweetheart... and love the thing.

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"