• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BIG BUDDY BURNED UP.....

HUMMER 55

I have a couple mr heater buddy heaters and last weekend my big buddy started on fire and burnt. Thus burnt a hole in the ice house and covered everything inside with black nasty soot. It was quiet the fire drill as no one was inside or real close to it when we noticed the white and black smoke coming out the vents..... it was hooked to 20lb cylinder and had flames 2 feet spraying out of it when we got the house flipped over. The hose was still in good condition and tight so it hadnt leaked there but it appears there was an internal fuel leak in one of the fittings internally or something.

Anyone ever had this ? Mr heater cover them ? it was new three years ago.

CASS MASTER

full-26576-14987-bigbuddy.jpg

full-26576-14988-img00204_20111209_1034(

Wow. This is unfortunate but it shows the rest of us who look to the buddy heaters for a safe heat source to stay on our toes. Especially if sleeping with one going. Glad no one was hurt sorry about your gear. I would be calling mr heater to see what they could do for you. Maybe send them a picture. Couldn't hurt.

Wow. This is unfortunate but it shows the rest of us who look to the buddy heaters for a safe heat source to stay on our toes. Especially if sleeping with one going. Glad no one was hurt sorry about your gear. I would be calling mr heater to see what they could do for you. Maybe send them a picture. Couldn't hurt.

I have seen my fare share of mr. heater cookers, sunflowers start spitting flames. Just because it was a buddy doesn't mean jack, any heater out there can do this.

Glad you are okay!

Very disturbing, but I have never seen that type of screw on hose that fits where a 1 pound tank should go on the buddy. The correct hose has a regulator and a quick connect that fits into the buddy heater. I dont think Mr. Heater is the one to blame here.

Mr. Heater sells the hose that screws directly on. I just bought one.

Looks pretty obvious there was something wrong with the heater being the fire started on the opposite side of where the hose was connected. I would do as others have said and hopefully they will take care of the matter.

The hose that screws on is also the one that screws into the mr heater cooker where the 1 pounder goes. I have the quick connect hose that goes on the snap connector behind the threaded connector. This is on the big buddy. That is kinda a scary burn down and id be very interested to hear the results of what happened and why. Maybe it will be something we can all pay attention to when it comes to maintaining our heaters. Just goes to show that even though its "safe" does not mean its "fail safe" !

Mr. Heater sells the hose that screws directly on. I just bought one.

Its obvious that they sell them, but are they made for the big buddy heater. I don't think so. When I bought my hose they were clearly marked for what they should be used for and how they should be used. But then again I'm a read the directions kind of guy.

I have seen my fare share of mr. heater cookers, sunflowers start spitting flames. Just because it was a buddy doesn't mean jack, any heater out there can do this.

Glad you are okay!

Agreed, even your home furnace can do this. It looks like something came loose or cracked internally.

Very glad everyone is okay!

Its obvious that they sell them, but are they made for the big buddy heater. I don't think so. When I bought my hose they were clearly marked for what they should be used for and how they should be used. But then again I'm a read the directions kind of guy.

Brandon you are confused. Yes they are made for the Big Buddy. If you insist I can post a picture of the directions for that hose that shows you how to screw in on the unit. wink

I don't think this is the case here, but some info:

In 2004 Mr. Heater issued a recall on certain Big Buddy and Tough Buddy heaters. Following are some facts about the recall and guidelines for determining whether the recall affects your heater.

This recall was initiated because the valve on the propane heaters can leak, posing a fire hazard if an ignition source is present.

The affected Big Buddy heaters (Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at a number of sporting goods and hardware stores throughout the United States.

The affected Tough Buddy heaters (also Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at Lowe’s home center stores.

This recall does not apply to Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9B or any other Mr. Heater product.

Only heaters in a certain serial number range are impacted by this recall.

Your heater IS AFFECTED only if both of the following two statements are true:

The only serial number is between MHC 000001 and MHC 294431

The serial number does not have a yellow overlay (highlighting) over the serial number and the letter "R" following the serial number

Your heater IS NOT EFFECTED if any of the following is true:

Its serial number is MHC 294432 or higher

Its serial number is MHC 748000000001 and higher.

Its serial number is MHC 748100000001 and higher.

If you believe that your heater is affected by this recall call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328. Affected heaters will be replaced at no cost to you.

If you need help in determining whether your heater is affected, call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328.

in the pics you can see they now have a nice hole on the side of the canvas of the portable. That is an odd thing to happen. The filter is used to with the screw in cord as the screw in cord is a high or low pressure and without the filter the junk from the line will clog the heater...the quick connect hose is the opposite of the screw in hose and will not break down so there is no need for the filter.

Brandon you are confused. Yes they are made for the Big Buddy.

I guess I need to get out more, Ive only seen this type sold for stoves. But yes that is an option. I'm curious to see what Mr heater says, because I don't need any extra windows in my house.

Had the same thing happen to me last year but I caught it right away so no damage to the heater or house. I also have the quick connect hose. It was a very cold morning on the big pond and a 4 mile trip out with the buddy heater in the portable was the problem "I think". So when I set the house up and hooked up the 10lb tank i has getting things ready in the house and saw it start on fire right way. The quick connect fitting was really cold so I thought that it might have contracted a little to allow the LP to leak out. So i just hooked up a 1 lb tank on the right side and let it warm up then hooked the 10lb tank back up on the left side and did not have a problem after that. So after that I really think it had something to do with the quick connect fitting contracting a little because of the cold weather and allowing the LP to leak out.

If you screw a hose on, don't they recommend you buy a filter ($10) and attach to that to regulate? I didn't feel like making two purchases so I bought the hose with the quick disconnect where you don't need a filter.

The quick disconnect hose i have has the filter inline so no i didn't have to purchase a separate filter. The hose still has a filter its just built in.