• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good boots needed

Grew up in "made in Canada" Sorels. Lasted almost fovever. Then tried Rocky boots....once. Had my first and LAST pair of Rocky Boots self destruct last weekend when making a drive muzzy hunting at about -23 F. Was only 1.5 miles from the road and had good wool socks so my feet were only cold and wet when I walked out. Never had boots come apart that fast. Both soles cracked all the way thru and sides split and separated from tops. Looking for new boots to hunt in when -20F or colder. Walk 5 to 10 miles a day thru swamps in below zero weather (colder the better). Swamps often not froze so waterproof is essential and a little extra height is helpful. Usually take a turn on stand once a day, so boots need to hold up to climbing trees and be fairly warm. Always had Sorels before that and did well. I hear Sorel isn't what it used to be. Have pair of Kamik Ice breakers for above -20F. Oh it would be nice if the boots lasted a little longer than a couple of years.

Any suggestions from the experts up there who really use a boot every day as to a cold weather, waterproof, durable boot MADE IN CANADA not china that I can run around at -30F in the wet unfrozen swamps and also hold up to tree climbing? Prefer a company who makes boots with the same quality and craftsmanship that was used 30 years ago. Kamik? Baffin?

Thanks

lakevet

P.S. Rocky customer service has not returned my inquiries and have talked to 2 other guys this week who have had the same problem with Rocky's self destructing.

Lakevet,

Sorels are not what they use to be, I have a good pair that I sill use for ice fishing and they are going on 17 yrs, and will need to be replace. I bought my wife a pair of what I thought was a good pair of sorels last year - they look good, but are not even close to the quality or the warmth of the pair I have and they are rated for even colder weather.

If you find something good, please post it. I will be interested in what you find.

I had a pair of Baffin and was not impressed, rated for -148 and my feet froze. I just ordered a pair of Sorel Intrepids and a pair of Muck boots Artic Pro Series. A friend has the Arctic Pro's and is very happy with them so far. I will post how Ilike the 2 boots after I wear them a bit.

Last year I bought a new pair of Irish Setter's and they really ROCK! They are made by the Red Wing Shoe Co. so that tell's you they are of the highest quality, bar none! They cost half the National Debt and my first born child but they are worth it! I've never had such an awesome pair of boot's in my life! Can't remember what they are called but they are the one's that have 2000 gram's of Thinsulate in them. 1DIRTBALL wink

Steger Mukluks. They went to the North Pole in 1986, and I've been wearing them up here in Ely for 7 years in temps to -40. Spray the carp out of them with silicone waterproofer and I don't have problems when I hit the occasional slush pocket. They are not technically waterproof unless you buy the new Camuks that just came out a couple years ago.

Lightest, warmest footwear I've ever owned or worn. One reason they keep your feet warm is there's no stiff lug sole/lower boot, so your feet can flex and maintain circulation. There is no arch support, so don't be thinking of them as boots per se. You'll definitely want to go two sizes over your actual shoe size so you can get a viable three sock system in there and still leave wiggle room. Lightweight polypro liner sock, medium wool blend second sock, heavy wool outer sock.

I've fished in these muks for 2 days straight, with slush frozen to the outsides, never taking them off even after crawling onto the cot for the night, in temps to -25 on one memorable laker opener in January within shouting distance of Ontario, and never once got even chilled.

Unless you've worn a pair of these, you can't really understand how effective they are. When I bought mine 8 years ago, they changed the way I operated in the outdoors in winter.

Sorry I'm not in Canada, so you may dismiss my comments, but I can FEEL Canada from Ely. gringringrin

Steve, I have been looking at the Mukluks for a few years but the whole water proof thing turns me off a little after standing in 1/2 a foot of water on slushly lakes. What are the org native Mukluks made out of seal skin or something? Or do they maybe just grease them down with a ton of whale blubber or bear fat or something to water proof them? confused

Leech, if memory serves, the Steger muks weren't designed off Inuit muks, but off inland Northern Cree muks, which rely on moosehide instead of sea mammal materials. The new Camuks are waterproof. Lower muk covered in light rubber, GoreTex camo upper goes up to the knee. They won't breathe quite as well as the traditional Steger muks because of the rubber/GoreTex, but same lightweight warmth, and waterproof.

I have a pair of Muckboots Woody Max boots that I wear when I know it's gonna be really wet/slushy on the ice.

There's really no such thing as one perfect ice fishing boot, unless it's the Camuk. But with the traditional muks and the Muckboots I have the right boots for any winter ice fishing situation. I've got a couple pair of waterproof socks from Cabela's that I've been meaning to try in the mukluks, but haven't needed to bother.

I have a pair of Lacross Ice Kings which are water proof and some of the warmest boots I have ever had. But, if you had to try saving your life by walking very far off a lake or snowmobile trail after a break down. You mite as well just lay down a die! They are great for standing around on the ice or snowmobiling with but they are pretty hard to walk to far in with the big foamy liners! wink

Yeah, that's the problem with pac style boots. Too darn heavy! Also, I used to wear the LaCrosse Icemen, which were billed as waterproof, and though I maintained them they would not keep out water if I was standing in slush/water. Water always got in eventually.

My muks (style called "Arctics" with moosehide feet and light canvas uppers) weigh in at 1.2 pounds apiece. My old Icemen (lighter than the Ice Kings, if memory serves) weigh 3 lbs apiece.

Steve, do you wear those muks deer hunting? I just learned about them a couple weeks ago and they have gotten my interest. I have a pair of -150 Cabelas Predators that are very warm and work well for ice fishing, but trying to still-hunt through the woods with them and I sound like a sherman tank barreling through the brush they are so clumsy. Anything that isn't completely waterproof worries me, but you seem to be pretty happy with yours. I may consider them for my next boot. Those camuks sound like they may be the answer.

NoWiser, I do wear them hunting if it's cold enough to need them. They are not the thing for a 10 mile hike (unless you're on snowshoes or skis), because there's no ankle support. But they keep a fella's feet mighty warm, and they are so darn light.

They are especially great for cold-weather still hunting or stand hunting.

My vote goes to Irish Setter. I have had a pair for 3 years and I use them for everything from snowclearing, ice fishing, hunting, fall fishing, hiking. All leather and good construction. They are 1000Grams Thinsulate. With Polypropelene socks with a smart wool over top, I'm good at -30 C.

My vote goes to Irish Setter. I have had a pair for 3 years and I use them for everything from snowclearing, ice fishing, hunting, fall fishing, hiking. All leather and good construction. They are 1000Grams Thinsulate. With Polypropelene socks with a smart wool over top, I'm good at -30 C.

Dang, I wish I had that kind of luck with mine. I bought a pair that were billed as waterproof, and they let water in on the second outing. Then I waterproofed them myself and they lasted four outings before letting water in. We're talking about standing in 4 inches of slush/water with a 9 inch boot.

I think mine were made after it all switched over to China. frown

They quickly got the boot, if you'll pardon the pun. gringrin

I have an older pair of Irish Setter 1200 gram thinsulate boots in leather/GoreTex that are total champs!

I have a pair of Muck Woody Max and If I am moving around with the right sock on I stay nice and warm.....I use them deer hunting and have not had cold feet since I bought them.....they are very comfortable to walk in and they are as waterproof as you can get!!! I also use them ice fishing and snowmobiling and have yet to have a complaint about them.....

I have been wearing my Arctic Pro Muck Boots rated to -60. New model this year. They are a great boot. No cold feet and dry after messsing around in slush for the day. Bought them at Muckbootsonline.com free shipping and cheaper than in the stores looked.

Steger Mukluks. They went to the North Pole in 1986, and I've been wearing them up here in Ely for 7 years in temps to -40. Spray the carp out of them with silicone waterproofer and I don't have problems when I hit the occasional slush pocket. They are not technically waterproof unless you buy the new Camuks that just came out a couple years ago.

Lightest, warmest footwear I've ever owned or worn. One reason they keep your feet warm is there's no stiff lug sole/lower boot, so your feet can flex and maintain circulation. There is no arch support, so don't be thinking of them as boots per se. You'll definitely want to go two sizes over your actual shoe size so you can get a viable three sock system in there and still leave wiggle room. Lightweight polypro liner sock, medium wool blend second sock, heavy wool outer sock.

I've fished in these muks for 2 days straight, with slush frozen to the outsides, never taking them off even after crawling onto the cot for the night, in temps to -25 on one memorable laker opener in January within shouting distance of Ontario, and never once got even chilled.

Unless you've worn a pair of these, you can't really understand how effective they are. When I bought mine 8 years ago, they changed the way I operated in the outdoors in winter.

Sorry I'm not in Canada, so you may dismiss my comments, but I can FEEL Canada from Ely. gringringrin

I have had my Steger Mukluks for 10 years and they are finally wearing out. Will have to spring for a new pair next year. Twice as warm and 1/2 the weight of pac boots. The only boot that my feet don't sweat in while outside or in the house. Always warm.

Dr. Thunder, if it's just the rubber soles wearing out, you can use that tool handle dip and paintbrush it on. You can usually get a season out of each application.

Steger used to re-dip muks in the rubber for a fee, but then the owner realized she would make more money if people were forced to buy new mukluks when the soft rubber wears out. I'm on 8 years on my older pair and the rubber is still OK, but that's only because I don't wear them around town on concrete/cement, but only in the snow.

They were originally designed for mushers/expeditioners. I use mine almost daily in winter, on snowshoes, going ice fishing, walking in the woods, doing handyman work in snow. Mine are 8 years old and the rubber has not worn off the bottoms yet. I bought a new pair a year ago when I had some $ to spare, but they mostly just sit in the closet, and likely will stay there until the current pair wears out.

They are excellent snowshoe boots. So light, very flexible. Because they are light, they add miles to a person's ability to travel all day. I've used them in the old H style bindings, the flat latex bindings, the integral bindings on Atlas shoes and the Bob Maki bindings. I'm old school, with ash/hide Michigan style shoes, and the Maki bindings are the best, IMO. But the muks work great with all of them.

About every third year, it's a good idea to toss out the wool felt liners and replace them. Compaction on the bottoms reduces their insulating ability. That's true of any boot with those liners.

All that said, they DO wear out eventually.

I grew up with Sorels so I just purchased my first pair at the big C store. I picked up the Glacier model as they were on sale and similiar to what I'd had as a kid. Rated for -100. I guess we'll see if that holds true.

So far I am happy. I've had them out a few times and was very satisfied with them. They are a bit heavy, (6lbs) but I don't mind it. Growing up we had a team of sled dogs and so being out in the dog yard doing cleanup and feeding, it never really bothered me. Mainly I'll be using them for ice fishing/ATV/snowmobiling so I'm sure they'll be good and rugged for the abuse that I'll probably put them through.

Good luck w/ your boot buying decision. At the end of the day...buy what you can afford.