• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should the UofM get Randy Shannon?

SkunkedAgain

He was mentioned as a long-shot candidate while he was still coaching, due to his ties to, and contract with Miami. Now that he's on the streets, it seems like he could be a great fit with Minnesota. It already seems that Minnesota has lost out (or written off) most of the big name coaches, so Randy would fit the bill.

Frankly, the UofM is back to hoping for a coach that can get them to a .500 winning percentage. I don't think that we will initially have the same lofty expectations as the Miami boosters/alumni.

Thoughts?

Reports are he really wants to come here...I think his departure at Miami has held up a few of the Gopher potential coaches too.

I guess I'd rather have someone who wants to come here rather than someone who is overpaid and had to be convinced to come to the U.

Give him a shot...he can't be any worse than anyone else.

....and now Mike Leech wants to coach the Gophers (or anywhere). I'd be happy with Leech, Shannon, or keeping Horton. None of the other names excite me. Unfortunately, my guess is that Maturi will make a very boring, uninspiring pick that will underwhelm everyone.

I want Leach and am disappointed with Maturi not even considering him. What got lost in the all the hub bub about him is that he ran a clean program and his kids graduated. Oh, and he WON BOWL games!!! There was something about beating the Glen Mason Gophers in a Bowl as well.......

Doesn't sound like too many negatives to me. We need a firecracker in that position, its been dormant for far too long. His baggage is way overblown.

Doesn't sound like they are truly interested in Trestman either, which boggles my mind.

Shannon would be OK, but he definitely doesn't get me excited. If he was a good coach, he would have done better with all of that talent they had at Miami.

Bring Leech in!!! Some of our guys need to be locked in a shed for a while! Maybe they'll learn how to tackle. grin To be banished from coaching for this is just stupid IMO. I'm sure he'll think twice before doing something like that again. He's a proven winner and recruiter. Please Mother Maturi give him a shot!

Leech is like a calmer version of Bobby Knight. I agree, putting the kid in a shed wasn't the right thing to do but he didn't choke anyone.

The biggest thing to me is that our coaches forgive and give their players a second chance all of the time. Why is Leech not being given a second chance?

I don't think Leech is overly enthused about Gophers, whereas he openly has said he wants the Miami job and they would be a good fit. He was one of the finalists for the job before Shannon got it. Plus, you have to think that if another job opens up that Leech likes he may want out, remember Lou Holtz. Remember the Notre Dame clause he had in the contract. Now I would like to see him here too, but I can see Leech doing something like that.

As each day passes the Gophers job is getting to be less and less atractive to coaches. Indiana has a number of people interested, Miami will draw big names, and RichRod may be on the chopping block and then Michigan will be looking again. My hope is they end up getting a young guy who will be the next big thing, but the reality is that they will probably end up with some hack.