• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to siphon gas? Not stealing, just moving!

hoggs222

Question

10 answers to this question

the best way is just take a hose preferably clear so you can see the gas comming..put the hose in the tank suck in it untill the gas is about a foot away from your mouth them put it in the gas can make sure the can is signeficantly lower than the boats tank.. if you do get some in your mouth dont swallow!! you could use a primer bulb type deal..

Oh come on Sandmannd, tons of kids and punks suck gas out of cars everyday without a problem!! crazy No Not good. If it is a one time deal you can go to Fleet or any Auto store and they sell a very cheap siphon pump with hose for a few bucks!

Do not, I repeat do not swallow! I made the mistake of doing that in my younger years and lets just say I had my stomach pumped out. When and if the gas hits your mouth, you will swallow, must be a natural reaction. Primer bulb or a siphon pump is the way to go.

The problem with siphoning it out is that your probably not getting all the fuel in the tank, only what the hose can reach, and who knows where the hose is at inside your hidden tank.

Here's how I do it: take the fuel line off the motor, raise the tounge of the trailer up so the fuel goes to the back of the tank, put the fuel line in a gas can at a lower level than the boat fuel tank (on the ground). Then I use an air compressor to lightly shoot air into the vent (making sure the gas filler line is sealed) once the flow starts it will drain the tank completely.

You don't need the compressed air the whole time, just to get it started.

Pumping the primer ball may work as a substitute for the compressed air, I'm not sure.

Hoggs, For a permanant boat tank, take about 10' of clean hose and push as much of it down into the tank as you can. Put your thumb over the end off the hose and pull out it back out until you can reach your gas can on the ground and let 'er flow. Careful!!! when the gas can's full the gas will keep flowing, have a 2nd can very near to QUICKLY move the hose to. 20 years in the auto salvage biz... Ya just can't help but learn something grin. Phred52

STOP! READ THIS!

Use a very long piece of tube. The tube must be long enough to go all the way down to the fuel tank, out of the tank and below the level of the fluid, and then back up to your mouth. It's best if your standing. This makes it a 7-8 foot piece of tubing. When you see t he fuel come out of the tank and head to the ground, stop sucking and put your thumb over the end of the tube that was in your mouth. Now lower that end of the tube down and into your new container. The prime in the tube will carry the gas out and into your new container, once you take your thumb off of the tube.

Don';t screw around with the possibility of ingesting gasoline.