Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggs222

How to siphon gas? Not stealing, just moving!

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get gas out of my boat and into either a gas can or my truck. What's the best way to go about it?

the best way is just take a hose preferably clear so you can see the gas comming..put the hose in the tank suck in it untill the gas is about a foot away from your mouth them put it in the gas can make sure the can is signeficantly lower than the boats tank.. if you do get some in your mouth dont swallow!! you could use a primer bulb type deal..

Is there anyway you could easily remove the fuel line going to your outboard and use the primer bulb to get it started?

That might be one way.

I have done as Casey said. Take the fuel line off the motor and just us the primor bulb. You don't want that stuff near your mouth.

Oh come on Sandmannd, tons of kids and punks suck gas out of cars everyday without a problem!! crazy No Not good. If it is a one time deal you can go to Fleet or any Auto store and they sell a very cheap siphon pump with hose for a few bucks!

Do not, I repeat do not swallow! I made the mistake of doing that in my younger years and lets just say I had my stomach pumped out. When and if the gas hits your mouth, you will swallow, must be a natural reaction. Primer bulb or a siphon pump is the way to go.

Get the siphon gadget that comes with kerosene stoves. They're around $5 at an ACE or similar store.

The problem with siphoning it out is that your probably not getting all the fuel in the tank, only what the hose can reach, and who knows where the hose is at inside your hidden tank.

Here's how I do it: take the fuel line off the motor, raise the tounge of the trailer up so the fuel goes to the back of the tank, put the fuel line in a gas can at a lower level than the boat fuel tank (on the ground). Then I use an air compressor to lightly shoot air into the vent (making sure the gas filler line is sealed) once the flow starts it will drain the tank completely.

You don't need the compressed air the whole time, just to get it started.

Pumping the primer ball may work as a substitute for the compressed air, I'm not sure.

Hoggs, For a permanant boat tank, take about 10' of clean hose and push as much of it down into the tank as you can. Put your thumb over the end off the hose and pull out it back out until you can reach your gas can on the ground and let 'er flow. Careful!!! when the gas can's full the gas will keep flowing, have a 2nd can very near to QUICKLY move the hose to. 20 years in the auto salvage biz... Ya just can't help but learn something grin. Phred52

I had to do that this spring. I just bought one of those cheap plastic siphon deals . Worked great other than a little slow.

STOP! READ THIS!

Use a very long piece of tube. The tube must be long enough to go all the way down to the fuel tank, out of the tank and below the level of the fluid, and then back up to your mouth. It's best if your standing. This makes it a 7-8 foot piece of tubing. When you see t he fuel come out of the tank and head to the ground, stop sucking and put your thumb over the end of the tube that was in your mouth. Now lower that end of the tube down and into your new container. The prime in the tube will carry the gas out and into your new container, once you take your thumb off of the tube.

Don';t screw around with the possibility of ingesting gasoline.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Already doing many of these.  It's slowly improving.
    • I was just getting some info on this unit: http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/product/63-basement-sentry#features     I am sure you could hook up multiple batteries as well
    • Sunday, pulled a group of 3 toms from about 500 yds across private into the public only to hang up at 60 yds. We worked them for 2 hrs and they never got in front of the blind. They finally got closer, but instead of going in front of the blind, they got behind the blind at about 5 yards inside the woodline and could hear them stepping on twigs. Man what a rush. Sadly, they walked back onto private and out of our lives LOL. Kinda wish I was hunting with a shotgun!   3 or 4 gobblers were rattling off behind us in the woods in the morning and shut up by 7. The 3 that we got to come in from private were to the other side and they didn't gobble til they were close enough to see/hear our setup. Those two hours were between 8 and 10. Will try again.
    • They will lose 90 to 100 games again this year. They do not have the pitching to even get to 500. Santana will be our lone all-star and be traded before end of year. Hope something changes but they did not add anything for starters or offensive so until they do we will get the same junk. Really sucks cause i love watching and listening to the games all summer long.
    • % of people that have picked that person. 
    • Some rainy river monsters! 61" 60" and a 54"! Have a look!  
    • Many big sturgeon boated this past week again.  Has been a great year for sturgeon so far up and down the river.  Fish different holes until you find fish.  Use a 3 ounce no roll sinker, a 1-1.5 foot leader, and a circle hook loaded (called a sturgeon rig) with frozen shiners and crawlers for best results. Anchor boat up stream of a deeper hole and pitch sturgeon rig into the hole. Heavy equipment is preferred.  Pike fishing is going good right now in shallow bays and on the Rainy River. Best methods so far are using buzz baits or lying a frozen cisco on bottom with a hook and weight(similar to a sturgeon rig but with less weight).   Pike are active in bays. The lake and bays and water starting to warm up and pike are being caught.  Pike are open all year up on LOW.   Up at the NW Angle, the ice is gone and it's open water.  Remember, walleyes open May 13th, pike and crappies open all year for LOW MN and sturgeon fishing through May 15th and then again July 1st.
    • Was clearing some downed trees from trails this morning. Checked a couple of trees and would you look at that. I didn't look very hard so I'm sure there are more, but of course have to head to work. Cold weather predicted after today though...  
    • Fished the Chip this weekend and found some success.  Lots of crappie action in select bay and bottle neck areas near warm water, timber and old cabbage.  Bobber and minnow was best, but anything was working.  We kept 10 smaller fish for the 3 of us and that was plenty of fish for us.  No need in keeping 25 fish (what a joke).  I wish the DNR would reduce the limit in WI!
    •   CM..that is a big "if" and pretty much the story of the series...good puck possession, lots of shots, few goals...and they have to find guys that can score against the "Allen's" of the world going forward...we aren't going to be playing against trash tenders come any playoff time.   Agree with your observation on the D zone coverage...way too much stick checking all over the ice by both forwards and Dmen...lack of putting body on opponents is either A  - pure laziness or  B - simply outmatched physically. This has to be addressed going foward.   Quite frankly I cannot think of one player that stepped up in the playoffs and played above their reg season...not one.    Haula seems to be a headcase...I don't think he is near as good as he thinks he is and tends to beat to his own drum IMO but we might be stuck with him. Ek will figure it out...playing in the World's now after playing in the Junior World's as well so he'll keep working on his game and be a good one soon IMO.   Will be interesting to hear Fletch's spin on things when he assesses things publicly soon but my guess is it will be "the sky is not falling...blah blah blah" same dump every year.  Sounds Like Leo is keeping him unfortunately...but he's made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it and there are not many GM's in the NHL that envy his postion IMO.  
  • Our Sponsors