• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whale Wars

LwnmwnMan2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what would they do if the whalers turn the harpoon gun on them, throw more stink bombs?

Ethical or not, even though it is a loophole, the whalers are legal, and the whalers are making money from a loop hole, and a job. If they want them to be stopped, they need to do it in court, not on the water throwing stink bombs aboard a ship. All this show is, is peta on a ship, with cameras!

Quote:
He surely does not deserve the title of "Captain."

Well in all fairness if we are going to Assassinate a Captains integrity and character we should get some facts up then grin

Quote:
Master and Commander

Complete List of Sea Shepherd Voyages

1979 - 2008

Captain Paul Watson has over four decades of experience at sea, and more than two decades as Master and Commander of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society voyages to protect, defend, and conserve the Earth’s wild oceans.

He earned his experience in the Norwegian and Swedish Merchant Marine in the sixties and early seventies, and served as First Officer on Greenpeace voyages between 1971 and 1976.

Since 1979, he has commanded over 200 primarily offshore voyages in storms, ice packs, through canals and treacherous currents, and dangerous confrontations without a single accident or a single injury to his crew or to anyone else. In fact, on many occasions he has commanded two ships simultaneously, relaying orders to a subordinate captain when it has been necessary to deploy two ships at once.

Captain Watson is a sea captain in the truly traditional sense – where he is the master and commander of his own ships and is not dictated to by a corporate Board. He makes the decisions and he bears the full responsibility for his actions.

In 1994, Sea Shepherd acquired a miniature submarine Mirage. A spokesperson for the Canadian Navy publicly stated that no one at Sea Shepherd knew anything about operating a submarine and it was ridiculous for Sea Shepherd to acquire one. He guaranteed that someone would be hurt.

Captain Paul Watson responded to the Canadian Naval spokesperson at the time by saying:

“Since World War II, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has boarded more ships, rammed more ships, engaged in more high seas confrontations and sunk more ships than the Canadian Navy. They are hardly in a position to presume to judge what we are competent or capable of doing.”

Our record speaks for itself: All these years later – still no injuries.

So that others may appreciate the depth of experience that Captain Watson has as a master mariner, the Society is posting on the website, the complete sailing record of Sea Shepherd voyages.

Without a doubt, the Sea Shepherd is the most experienced marine wildlife conservation interventionist organization in the world, and Captain Watson is the single most experienced marine conservation sea captain on the high seas today.

Quote:
Total Voyages of the Sea Shepherd: 8 in 1979

Total Voyages of the Sea Shepherd II: 64 between 1980 and 1992

Total Voyages of the Sea Shepherd III: 20 between 1997 and 1999

Total Voyages of the Divine Wind: 5 in 1987

Total Voyages of the Edward Abbey: 11 between 1990 and 1992

Total Voyages of the Sirenian: 22 between 1992 and 2000

Total Voyages of the Cleveland Amory: 1 in 1993

Total Voyages of the Whales Forever:

7 in 1994

Total Voyages of the Ocean Warrior: 34 between 2000 and 2002

Total Voyages of the Farley Mowat: 52 between 2002 and 2008

Total Voyages of the Robert Hunter: 7 between 2006 and 2007

Total Voyages of the Steve Irwin 7 between 2007 and 2008

Total Voyages Over 1,000 Kilometers: 149

Total Voyages in the Atlantic: 115

Total Voyages in the Caribbean: 27

Total Voyages in the Mediterranean: 4

Total Voyages in the Pacific: 117

Total Transits of Panama Canal: 12

Total Transits of Kiel Canal: 3

Total Voyages in Ice Packs: 23

Total Voyages to Antarctica: 12

Total Voyages in the Indian Ocean: 9

Farthest Point Navigated South: 77° 27’ 7”

South Ross Sea Farthest Point Navigated North: 68° 03’ Lofoten Islands, Norway

Number of Crew Injuries between 1979 and 2005: None

Number of Rammings of Illegal Whalers and Poachers: 7

Number of Illegal Whaling Ships Scuttled: 8

Number of Naval Confrontations: 7

Number of Times Under Attack by Fire Arms: 4

Number of Long driftnets destroyed or confiscated: 4

Number of Miles of Longline destroyed or confiscated: 182

Number of Volunteer Crew that Have Participated: Approx 2200

The year 2008 marks the 30th year since the first Sea Shepherd ship went to sea. During this Quarter Century, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has operated 7 different ships.

Quote:
Paul Watson Awards

1979 - Fund for Animals

"Outstanding Courage in the field of Animal Protection"

1989 - Florida Keys

"Honorary Conch" - Honorary citizenship to the Florida Keys

Presented by Mayor Willamina Harvey.

1990 - CITY TV (Toronto)

"Environmentalist of the Year"

Presented by Robert Hunter.

1996 - The Town of St. Jean Ferrat, France

Honorary Citizenship to the French town of St. Jean Ferrat, France

Presented by Mayor Rene Vestri

1996 - The Town of Ville France sur la Mer, France

Medal of Service from the French town of Ville France sur la Mer, France

September 11, 1997 - The City of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue

Honorary Citizenship to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue

Presented by Mayor Bill Tierney

March 28, 1998 - Ark Trust Foundation, Genesis Award

"Life Time Achievement Award" - Captain Watson is recognized for three decades of heroic and effective animal activism

Presented by Martin Sheen and Pierce Brosnan

March 1999 - Earth Trustee Award

Presented at the United Nations Building in NYC

June 22, 1999 - President George H.W. Bush

"Daily Points of Light" Award

May 2000 - Time Magazine

Earth Day 2000 Special Award, Heroes of the Planet

Paul Watson named one of the top twenty environmental heroes of the 20th Century

July 2001 - S.P.E.A.K. (Supporting and Promoting Ethics for the Animal Kingdom)

Star Award to Paul Watson and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society for Outstanding Organization

October 2001 - Eco-Link Award

Los Angeles, CA

Outstanding Environmentalist

November 10, 2001 - The Orangutan Foundation

Conservationist of the Year

Presented by Birute Galdikas

July 2, 2002 - Inducted into The U.S. Animal Rights Hall of Fame

Washington, DC

Watson is inducted into the Animal Rights Hall of Fame for outstanding contributions to animal liberation.

January 2006

The UK newspaper The Independent selects Watson as one of the planet's top ten eco-warriors as reported in their January 23rd article entitled "Defenders of the Earth."

2007 - Winsome Constance Kindness Trust

Gold Medal for Humanitarian Service

Presented by Phil and Trix Wollen

June 18, 2007 - Five Nations

Presentation of registries and flags for the ships Robert Hunter and Farley Mowat

Captain Watson also presented with a special handmade traditional shirt by the women of the Longhouse

July 5, 2007 - Two awards in Ecuador

For the protection of marine life around the world

Presented by General Director Gustavo Paez of AMAZNOR, a grassroots organization dedicated to the protection of pink dolphins and manatees in the Amazon region

Amazon Peace Prize

Asociacion Latino Americana Para Los Derechos Humanos [The Latin American Association for Human Rights]

Selected for the awarded by Ecuadorian Vice President Lenin Moreno and Secretary General Dr. Juan de Dios Parra of the Latin American Association for Human Rights.

Pesented to Captain Watson at a special ceremony in Quito by General Cisneros.

January 5, 2008 - The Guardian - UK (online/print newspaper)

Watson is named as one of "50 People Who Could Save the Planet"

March 24, 2008 - Australia Zoo

"Wildlife Warrior Award"

The award recognizes organizations and individuals, true heroes and Wildlife Warriors, who have contributed significantly to Steve Irwin's legacy and helping to keep Steve's dreams alive.

Quote:
International Laws and Charters

Sea Shepherd campaigns are guided by the United Nations World Charter for Nature. Sections 21-24 of the Charter provides authority to individuals to act on behalf of and enforce international conservation laws.

Sea Shepherd cooperates fully with all international law enforcement agencies and its enforcement activities complying with standard practices of law and policing enforcement.

Sea Shepherd adheres to the utilization of non-violent principles in the course of all actions and has taken a standard against violence in the protection of the oceans.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is dedicated to working towards cooperative agreements between nations to protect species and habitats according to SSCS Mandate.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society respects and acts in accordance with the following international treaties, declarations, conventions, and charters:

The World Charter for Nature

U.N. Doc. A/37/51 (1982)

The International Whaling Commission (IWC)

Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)

March 3rd, 1973, Washington, D.C.

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

December 10th, 1982, Montego Bay

The Convention of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR)

The Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Convention (NAFO)

International Convention for Conservation of Atlantic Tuna (ICCAT)

The Declaration of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment

June 5th -16th, 1972, Stockholm, Sweden

ASEAN Agreement on the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources

July 9th, 1985, Kuala Lumpur

The Berne Convention

Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species

Whaling Laws

ECO-TERRORISM AND PIRACY ON THE HIGH SEAS: JAPANESE WHALING AND THE RIGHTS OF PRIVATE GROUPS TO ENFORCE INTERNATIONAL CONSERVATION LAW IN NEUTRAL WATERS

2009, Joseph Elliott Roeschke, The Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Volume XX, Issue 1, pages 99-136.

This Comment examines the various sources of international law on whaling, which attempt to wrestle with the convoluted area of international environmental conservation law on the high seas. Specifically, this Comment analyzes whether, and to what extent, private groups like Sea Shepherd have legal authority to protect endangered whales in neutral waters outside the jurisdiction of any nation. Section II explains the history of whaling, including a synopsis of whaling in Japanese culture and a history of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Section III outlines the relevant areas of international law that regulate whaling and environmental activism, which take place in the neutral coastal waters off of Antarctica. Section IV details the Japanese exploitation of the scientific research exception and provides a critical analysis of how the relevant regulations apply to individuals and private groups who enforce international conservation laws. Finally, Section V focuses on the effect Sea Shepherd has had on the Japanese scientific whaling program and suggests that Sea Shepherd should be allowed to continue enforcing international conservation law, but through less controversial means . . .

Full article (PDF)

The IWC has instructed Japan to stop killing whales in the

Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary

http://www.iwcoffice.org/conservation/sanctuaries.htm

As stated in Resolution 2007-1 below:

RECALLING that the Commission has repeatedly requested Contracting Parties to refrain from issuing special permits for research involving the killing of whales within the Southern Ocean Sanctuary, has expressed deep concern at continuing lethal research within the Southern Ocean Sanctuary, and has also recommended that scientific research involving the killing of cetaceans should only be permitted where critically important research needs are addressed;

the IWC is:

CONVINCED that the aims of JARPA II do not address critically important research needs;

the IWC:

FURTHER CALLS UPON the Government of Japan to suspend indefinitely the lethal aspects of JARPA II conducted within the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Resolution 2007-1 (RESOLUTION ON JARPA) is located on the IWC's website at:

http://www.iwcoffice.org/Meetings/resolutions/resolution2007.htm

The IWC established the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary in 1994

We have never injured a single person and we have never been convicted of a felony crime. Not bad for an organization that has been operating for over three decades.

I agree the guy is nuts and not up to Naval specs but maybe having former US Navy Lieutenant Jane Taylor onboard might help with this.

I know this is from Wrongkipedia but you tell me who is nuts and should train their crews better crazy

Quote:
Statistically, Alaskan crab fishing remains one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States. [4] In 2006, the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranked commercial fishing as the job occupation with the highest fatality rate with 141.7 per 100,000, almost 75 percent higher than the rate for pilots, flight engineers and loggers, the next most hazardous occupations. [8] However, Alaskan crab fishing specifically is even more dangerous with over 300 fatalities per 100,000.[9][10] Over 80% of these deaths are caused by drowning or hypothermia.[11] The fishermen are also susceptible to crippling injuries caused by working with heavy machinery and gear.[12]

Funny how one thread commends pour seamanship and the other tears apart a Captain who has no injuries or fatalities for pour seamanship???

The only other thing I can say doing a couple searches the only criminal issues the Sea Muffin has come under is violating perimeter laws of Canada and coming inside the perimeter to stop illegal activities. Paul Watson was acquitted on all charges. I could not find anywhere where that this Captain and his crew have violated (been convicted of) any maritime laws? I will say I did not find any commendations involving the US Navy towards the Sea Shepard but also will say I did not find anything where the US Navy had denounced the actions of the Sea Shepard.

i want to see him shut his mouth and take his butt outside and put his life on the line

Here he is handcuffed to a pile of seal pelts in 1977 laugh

PW_bio_1977_Paul_on_winch_2.jpg

Oh God I get out fishing cry. Only 8 more hours before I am on the river for a great weekend chasing Mr. Flathead.

To be straight forward with you guys I do not go out of my way to watch this show. I also may not agree with what they do but respect what they are doing in a sense of "what ever floats your boat" and give them respect for that. I sure in Gods Green Earth would not be doing anything or even support what they do (to a point) but I give them respect. smile

I'll admit, I watch the show. I watch because I love laughing at those hippies. Last season they tried to serve a warrant on a Japanese ship. That is like a Minneapolis hippie trying to make a citizens arrest of an NFL linebacker. Not going to happen. The 2nd mate looks so completely out of his element, I can't help but laugh every time he opens his mouth. I wouldn't trust that guy to run my Crestliner on Lake Calhoun with the trolling motor, let alone make decisions on a ship in the middle of the ocean. It really is good comedy.

I do agree with Shackbash, I respect what they are trying to do. I don't believe those whales are being killed for science, they are going to the dinner table. The crew is trying to do what they think is right. However, the execution is incredibly poor. I think everyone of those hippies has a huge ego and it is more about them out at sea feeding their own egos than actually trying to stop whaling. It is a lot better to get home and tell everyone that you were on a ship chasing a whaling ship through ice bergs than raising money lobbying politicians. I think they should take all of that money and time and develop another plan.

I am skeptical about the credentials given for the captain. My gut says they are embellished to some degree but I will take them at face value. That said, I will offer these thoughts.

I notice that the stats that were given are only up through 2005. I also noticed that they did not mention that last season alone two episodes showed crew getting hurt. The "can't steer the boat, or follow navigational directions" first mate broke his hand last year trying to launch the Delta because he did not know how and/or the crew was improperly trained on how to do lauch the boat. A crew member was seriously injured when she broke her pelvis last year because she either wasn't trained to or the leader of the delta boat did not take control of the situation and put her in a proper and safe seating position. This resulted in a potentially life threatening injury as a broken pelvis can result in internal bleeding.

The captain may have the experience but he is going out to sea with unqualified sailors, at best, or at worst he is guilty of not ensuring all are trained to a satisfactory level before embarking on the voyage. How many times last season did they have the Delta take off without staying in contact with base? How many times did they botch the launch? Isn't a truly qualified leader going to make sure his crew is able to accomplish complete the mission?

Lastly, if you want to take a stand on something, risk you life and inform your crew that they might risk theirs also, that is your perogative, but I will never defend someone who does it in a way that also puts the lives of the people you are going after at risk also. The Japanese may not have a ethical leg to stand on for many people but they so far are supported by the laws. They do not deserve to be threatened or endangered for doing a legal job, loophole or not. Loopholes are meant to be closed so they can not be exploited, not also used for an excuse to create a larger issue of ethics or morals while creating life and death situations for dozens of people. I don't have a issue with their goals, only their methods.

Let me ask you all one question regardless of what side you take, or maybe especially for those that support the sea shepherd. If they came flying by you on some lake and started throwing stink bombs on you and dropped nets to foul your prop because they have a moral issue with your fishing, what would your response be, assuming you were acting within the laws of the area?

All the stats in the world can get tossed up and it won't matter to me. Having served under some amazing skippers the best I can say about this guy is he's a hack at best.

He willfully endangers his crew along with the crew of another vessel in a peacetime situation. All because of what he feels is moral. He put to sea with a very undertrained crew. He has his crew throw items onto another vessel at sea. He approaches vessels during peacetime on a collision course. The latter could be conscrued as an act of war. And this is only the one episode I saw.

Hmmmmmmm, endangering innocent lives just to get your point across, in other areas we'd call that terrorism. Different fruit, same tree. He's no skipper and these are no sailors.

If you've ever put to sea for an extended period of time you'd understand what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Let me ask you all one question regardless of what side you take, or maybe especially for those that support the sea shepherd. If they came flying by you on some lake and started throwing stink bombs on you and dropped nets to foul your prop because they have a moral issue with your fishing, what would your response be, assuming you were acting within the laws of the area?

Yes I do agree. Back when the Bands started netting in Mille Lacs I felt bad for them because of the taunting they received from people at the boat launches and what they where doing was and is still legal 100%.

What the Japanese whalers are doing is not what the research loophole in the 1986 International Whaling Commission was designed for and there for they are breaking the law. You can candy coat it as much as you want but they are breaking the law. wink

Hmmmmmmm, endangering innocent lives just to get your point across, in other areas we'd call that terrorism. Different fruit, same tree. He's no skipper and these are no sailors.

If you've ever put to sea for an extended period of time you'd understand what I'm talking about.

BG I just do not get it then. Why is Capt. Paul Waston and the Sea Shepard crew not being hunted down like the Somalian pirates where? Why are they still allowed to do what they do and have an hour long TV show now to boot if what they are doing is endangering/terroristic? Could it be TV drama at its best grin

By what you are saying they should have Paul Watson in a brig some where’s waiting to go in front of an Admiralty Court. Then perform an "Arrest of a vessel" and dry dock the Sea Shepard???

For all I know Capt. Paul Watson could be a bum nut job who needs to be locked up. If that is the case someone should do something about it.

I wasn't going to post about this show, but have heard enough now to voice my opinion.

The way these guys are going about doing what they do, is, dangerous to say the least. But doing in what you believe is right, and what you believe is the only way to maybe change it, is beyond what many of us would do. I hear that he is going out not knowing what he is doing, putting others lives on the line. You do not hear people saying anything bad about that ship on Deadliest Catch where the captain had his guys out in 50mph winds, with 40 foot rollers, trying to put a tarp on 800 pound pots. Yet 3 guys got really hurt. And this is in the pursuit of trying to make yourself RICH! Not helping out a cause, nothing but pure and simple money. These people aboard the Steve Irwin are making no money, and doing something they believe is right. I remember just about every member of that boat saying they would lay their lives on the line for these whales.

Now on a different side(gotta look at it both ways), what they are doing is definitely not safe. I am sure they could use different tactics. Also they might just being going out on a lost cause. They never know for sure where the whalers are, but always seem to find em.

All in all I think what they are doing(protecting whales)is something great. The ways they do it are in question. But their hearts are in the right place.

Isnt that the same as spearing a northern?? Thats kind of the way I look at it!! Or maybe shotting a deer and eating it?? Doesnt bother me very much unless there was only a few whales left!!

Those guys and gals on the ship are completly nuts. Kind of surprised its legal for them to harrass the Japs.

Isnt that the same as spearing a northern?? Thats kind of the way I look at it!! Or maybe shotting a deer and eating it?? Doesnt bother me very much unless there was only a few whales left!!

Those guys and gals on the ship are completly nuts. Kind of surprised its legal for them to harrass the Japs.

Brian, we agree on something shocked

No. On a local level it is more like spearing a 66" x 32" lake sturgeon wink

Go say "Doesn’t bother me very much unless there was only a few sturgeon left!!" in the rough fish or cat forum grin Oh man would that be good thread to read! laugh

Quote:
I would think that if a Japanese ship was doing all this [PoorWordUsage] to a American ship there might be some problems!! I mean something like that pirate ship stuff a month or so ago.

If it was an American ship it would be delt with cut and dry I would assume.

Not really related to this thread, but go out west to the Columbia River where the sturgeon population is much larger than Minnesota. Sturgeon is one of the best eating fish I've ever tasted.

Now related. Imaging that sturgeon were not allowed for harvest, however a certain number could be harvested for research. The "researchers" then harvest the sturgeon and sell them to the local restaurant and make a profit. They cut up the fish, but no real research takes place. This is what is happening with the whales. The problem is that nobody will enforce the whaling ban and Japan has a taste for whale.

As I stated in my previous post, I admire that the Sea Shepherds want to stop whaling. I just don't agree with how they are attempting to accomplish their goal. Yet, it is funny to watch untrained hippies and a first mate that cant follow coordinates run a boat.

Well basically the Japanese "Researchers" are poaching our shared world resources. I am cool with a bunch of hippies trying to stop that.

Comparing a whale to a northern is like comparing a elephant to a deer. Just doesn't work.

I'll admit I watched episode 2. switched between that and the hockey game. Was a laugher watching them launch the small boat then the motor off in the complete wrong direction grin

Then the capt just drives right into the ice field, again!

So is this Japanese fleet of 4 ships or however many the only fleet out there?

And what exactly is there to research?

I watched last nights episode. The "captain's" great seamanship nearly sunk the ship because he hid behind an iceberg and nearly locked the ship into the ice pack. The woman who was in the navy was singing a different tune when the bulkhead was being pushed in 5 inches by the ice. it's no wonder the crew has such high turn over.