Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catmendo

Aquatic "Tango"...

15 posts in this topic

The Western Grebe's courtship display is among the the most elbaorate rituals in the bird world.

In fact everything about two adult grebes courtship display is aswesome!

They put on a display that must be seen to be appreciated.

Depicted here there's a little gentle caressing...

IMG_9944-1.png

Then when the mating couple has agreed to facilitate a future releationship, they celibrate it with the most beautiful and incredible

on water dance you might ever see!

IMG_9925-1.png

IMG_9851-1.png

IMG_9899-1.png

I love the shots and love the story behind it, sometimes a few words can tell a huge story when accompianied by brilliant photographs.

Did all your water go away Stu? you guys back to Noramal yet?

I really like number three. The light on the birds breasts makes the shot for me.

What thrill this must have been to witness. Your series of images told the whole story. Good work Stu!

Mike

once again I am at a loss for words,, stunning images! what a story they tell,, really great images!!!

I love the shots and love the story behind it, sometimes a few words can tell a huge story when accompianied by brilliant photographs.

Did all your water go away Stu? you guys back to Noramal yet?

Thanks you all for your wonderful comments!

No Paul the river is still high. We also received very substantial strutural damages. Major repair bills ahead before we open up this year!

An absolutely amazing series - and great background information too. The last one is simply beautiful.

The second image really does it for me, great mix of color, emotions, and sharpness smile Great series, a spectacle I would love to see someday, thanks for sharing.

Once again folks, Thank you for your comments and I am truly glad that you appreciated this brief glimpse into the world of the Western Grebe's remarkable courtship water dance!

Netley/Libau Marsh is a massive wetland which is actually the delta of the Red River as she empties into massive Lake Winnipeg. This delta which encompasses an area of approimately 100 square miles is peppered with marsh lakes (both large & small) which are "all" totally surrounded

by cattail and other varieties of aquatic vegetation. In a nutshell it serves its purpose well as a huge ecological scantuary for a multitude of migratory birds, fish and many mammals such as beaver, muskrat, mink etc;

For anyone ever having the need or the desire to come up this way for a photography safari, I'll be more than happy to point you in all the right directions! wink Third week of May is one of the best times to explore thisregion. It is during this time when many birds such as the Western grebe is actively seeking a mate!

The last one is really nice! I spent alot of time on these guys myself this spring.... filled my 16 GB cards four times over with these guys... super cool!

P.S. The on water dance you describe is called "rushing" and they also do a more intimate thing called the "weed dance" where they dive for weeds and raise up together rubbing them on one another in a neat courtship ritual. wink