• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Catfish Photo Gallery

HotPocket

Originally Posted By: Carp-fisher

50 lb hog!

Nice catch Carp-fisher!

But unfortunately I have to play devils advocate...

I've caught 5 fish this year over 43" long and not one of them were over 45 lbs...if your going to call 50...you'll need a girth to make the naysayers (myself being in that group) believe its 50 pounds. (even with a 32" girth...that fish is only at 46 pounds.)

Yeah I know. I'm just having a little fun with loose and fast estimations. Just based on the length and then other fish that I have handled and weighed this season, I'd say it was definitely high 30's to lower 40's. If you ask me about it next year though, I'll say it went 60 smile

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's goofy how it works out. I caught my season's biggest last Monday, and I forgot my camera, but had the scale. This time, I catch the biggest catfish I've ever seen, and I forget the scale...but have the camera....I'm gonna get it right one of these times....:)

That is strange. Small bait for a big fish. Sometimes you catch the largest fish on the smallest bait. I had a buddy watching this submarine-sized blob on his vexilar on Upper Red Lake once for over an hour. I was hole hopping, even had lunch, and he was messing around with that thing still. It didn't leave and it didn't bite. He did everything he could with his jig and minnow to entice it. Finally he gave up and pulled in the minnow, put on a waxie, put it back down there and BAM, he caught like a 35 inch pike. Why would he want a small waxworm instead of a fathead minnow? The world will never know.

That is strange. Small bait for a big fish. Sometimes you catch the largest fish on the smallest bait.

I've hooked up with 3 muskies this year on senkos. The biggest went 44''.

My uncle calls the big-fish-on-small-bait thing "The M&Ms effect". You might not want a meal, but if you're passing up a dish of M&Ms you very well might grab one.

That is strange. Small bait for a big fish. Sometimes you catch the largest fish on the smallest bait. I had a buddy watching this submarine-sized blob on his vexilar on Upper Red Lake once for over an hour. I was hole hopping, even had lunch, and he was messing around with that thing still. It didn't leave and it didn't bite. He did everything he could with his jig and minnow to entice it. Finally he gave up and pulled in the minnow, put on a waxie, put it back down there and BAM, he caught like a 35 inch pike. Why would he want a small waxworm instead of a fathead minnow? The world will never know.

I have seen that also aanderud I would watch pike come in while fishing pannies (on the camera) and would drop a small sucker down only to have the pike swim away but return after a few seconds then would try to jig that pike up but no luck so it swims off drop the waxie back down and POW there goes another ice fly from a pike.

I have also seen some pretty darn big cats caught on small creek chubs like 2.5 to 3 inches. and I like the M&M theroy