• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

over heating at 32 degrees

Dahitman44

The rotation of the track throwing snow on the heat exchangers is what cools the engine. Going slow will usually heat it up quicker than going fast because not as much snow gets thrown on the exchangers.

I had a 700 and it would over heat in 32 degreesif going slow for a period of time and sometimes foul plugs. Just like Mcgyver says speed it up in some snow to kool it down.

Be on the safe side and replace the thermostat.

The rotation of the track throwing snow on the heat exchangers is what cools the engine. Going slow will usually heat it up quicker than going fast because not as much snow gets thrown on the exchangers.

Exactly whats happenning.

It's pretty common especially while going slow with the kids in warmer weather.

Might want to check and make sure you haven't vapor locked it now, I've done that with my sled when I have overheated it.

Just start the sled and let it idle for a few minutes, the rear exchanger should get warm.

Mike

Not a big deal just be sure to run it in some snow at a hire speed to cool it down. You dont want to run at a high temp as the engine may lock up on ya if run to long while hot.

Well if it is not cooling down when going through snow at a higher speed then it is either low on coolant, bad thermostat or bad water pump.

were u are hard packed snow? if your on really hard snow it doesnt matter how fast you go there just isnt enough snow getting thrown on the heat exchanger and thats going to cause it to over heat. if this happens on soft fluffy snow i would look at the thermostat, water pump, coolent level etc...

were u are hard packed snow? if your on really hard snow it doesnt matter how fast you go there just isnt enough snow getting thrown on the heat exchanger and thats going to cause it to over heat. if this happens on soft fluffy snow i would look at the thermostat, water pump, coolent level etc...

If your exchanger in the back is warm when you idle, then your good to go, just speed up and get some snow kickin' around so you can cool the sled.

If your exchanger stays cool but the engine is feeling hot, then you need to get the 'air pocket' out before you ride it again, usually the best way to do it is to elevate the front end a couple feet ( snow bank, steep ditch or something like that ) and either open you radiator cap ( when it is cool enough to do so ). On my sled I am able to take the upper hose to the engine off and ( while the sled is off ) just fill it until antifreeze comes out again. Then I hook the hose back up again, open the radiator cap and idle it for a while until I feel heat in the back exchanger.

It might take a good 5 minutes or more to start heating that exchanger in the back if your sled is cold when you start it.

Mike

There should be a bleeder screw or plug?

We rode all day friday on flat hard fast trails and we had a couple of sleds from the group of 7 that got a little warm a couple times. dove off the trail a little bit and got some snow on the exchangers and it cooled them right down. Really a good ride this weekend!

Yeah -- It was hard packed snow that is for sure - we were going a little slow and there were some bare areas of no snow. Just wanted to give the kids a little ride.

We have a big ride for an area school my wife teaches at -- it is a fundraiser and it will be warm-ish.

We are getting more snopw so that should help.

What do I do?

brought it in and it was the impeller on the water pump. I had problems before with over heating and this has been an on-going problem. The impeller was BALD so I hope it is finally fixed.

thanks for all your help.

Hit