• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amsoil ?

berfish

I have a 1998 Merc 90HP 2-stroke oil injected. I have idling problems that carb cleaning and linkage fixing and new plugs hasnt fixed. It almost seems like it is mixing the oil to rich. The motor flies at WOT with no prolems unless I am under 1000rpm. I put brand new plugs in and they are covered in oil right away. So after witnessing a friends old Evenrude having the same kind of problems they switched to Amsoil and now the thing runs great. So this spring I am making the switch. I think I just put Amsoil Interceptor right into the oil resovior. Or is there a better Amsoil product for my problem? Anyone else want to share their "switching to Amsoil" stories? I need something to look foward to with this motor. It has caused me many headaches at boat landings.

I think you want to go with the HP Injecter rather than Intercepter.

What brand plugs are you using? I have found over the years that NGK work better in mercs than anything else. Hopefully whoever did the work for you has everything adjusted correctly.

Beerfish,

I switched my 95 40 merc over last yeat, I had problems with it loading up while trolling, idling... It took about 2 tanks of gas for it to clear out all of the old oil that had gunked up the exaust system, but I don't think my motor has run better even when new( I am the only owner of the motor). I am an AMSoil believer, I won't go back to the dino oil for my 2 cycle motors.

I use the Saber pillow packs for my small 2 cycle motors, one can of mixed gas for all of them.

All I can say is it works great.

WW

I'm a believer in Amsoil for my 2 stroke motors also.

One thing you may want to look into is are you using the right plug??? By this I mean is it burning hot enough? I've had problems in the past with my Yamaha snowmobiles fouling plugs. Pull em out and they're covered in oil. I was burning NGK BR9ES plugs. A quick peek in the manual showed me I should be burning BR8ES plugs. Made the switch, problem solved.

Switching to Amsoil will definately help you, tho.

I know the motor I own is not a great idler. I just hope Amsoil HP Injector can help. Every year I try something different plugs, carbs, linkage, and every year the same thing. Kills when it isnt warmed up at the boat launch and hard to start sometimes. Oh well. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Kills when it isnt warmed up at the boat launch and hard to start sometimes

Any motor is going to kill if you don't let it warm up long enough. Some are more prone to it of course, the 3 cylinder 90 - 125 Merc block being one of them. They are known to be cold blooded. I presume when you start it when it's cold you prime the primer bulb, advance the throttle while in neutral, push the key in and turn it over till it catches?

marine_man

I use sea-foam. When ever I fill the gas tank I put the correct amount in. The guy I bought it from said that it helped. He said it was cold blooded.

Even after running for a long time it still has trouble starting. The bulb is primed and hard. I think I let it warm up plenty. I always baby it at the launch. I can always let it go longer but sometimes I have to move to let others get in or out of the water. Nothing more frustrating than trying to get out of the way then your motor dies. Hopefuly amsoil will help a little bit.

i would drain the oil resivor before switching to amsoil. get as much of that oil stuff of as you can and then top it off with hp injector. amsoil makes a great product thats all i run in my sleds. the sea-foam does help alot if you run it in your motor every couple tanks of gas. thats what i do also.

first you need to decarb the motor. Omc engine tuner is the best for that. Ngk plugs always and good quality oil like amsoil is the best in the long run. Highly recommend to decarb the motor at least once each year. Also if you can run good gas without ethanol that is your best choice.

After I get my carbs rebuilt,I think I'm going to give Amsoil a try.I have a 1991 40 hp Evinrude, Which product should use? I went to the Amsoil web site and saw 4 different oils,to me it looks like I should use HP Injector. Does that sound right?

Oilman, I have a 1996 30 HP Johnson. The motor has very low hours and was in storage for 9 years. Last year I had the carb rebuit at the end of the season and was thinking of switching to amsoil this year. The owners manual recommends 50:1 but I noticed everyone on here is saying 100:1 or 80:1 when using amsoil, is it Ok to run that mix in my outboard?

Thanks for your help

Mike C.

You can safely use the Saber Outboard at 100-1 in any pre-mix outboard. The AMSOIL guarantee gives you 'safe lubrication guarantee.' Some choose to run it richer. If you don't feel comfortable at the lean 100-1, start with your engine recommended ratio (most are 50-1). After a few tanks check your spark plug. If it is dry/fluffy you are fine, if it is damp or wet you probably have too much oil and lean it off some. Go leaner in steps as you feel comfortable and safe.

Update......Well I have got one tank of gas and half of my gallon jug of Amsoil HP-Injector through so far this season in my 90hp merc. I would have to say that the motor seems to be running a little bit better at idle speed now. I can troll it down to 2.2mph without it dying. It still is cold-blooded right away at the landing but it seems a little better. I only have to high idle it a little. But as mentioned above it took another guy two tanks to get great results. I am hoping to see even more improvement.