• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 King of the Cats Contest

DTro

I have a hard time convincing myself that there is a true 60 swimming in the MN this time of year, right now. If there is one, you guys have a better chance as any on getting it boat side.

I just look at all the man hours and experience and wounder if there is a true 60 rolling on dubs in that river (right now). grin

Is there a true 60 plus fish in MN's big 3 river waters/system? Yes.

Is there a true 60 plus fish in the MN river right now, I just do not know. I would love to say yes, but the past and the facts are hard to scrub and convince me other wise. grin Prove me a fool and wrong guys grin

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there is, and I think I had one on a month ago. I never had one fight the way that one did. I had it on for about 5 minutes, and the only time I gained any ground on it, is when it swam at me, then it went back to rippen line out, and the hook popped out cry . I have only fished the spot one time since, I can't get to it any more with my boat frown

I am sure there is 1, but to even say there is 1, is doing a disservice to all who post, put the time in and live down by the river in this and other forums grin . Unless over the years the good cat guys in here have kept a tight lip on a true 60, if there has been one caught, it would have surfaced (IMO).

I know it is said that "not everyone who fishes the MN river like the major players in this forum post's on-line", then you have the rumors, but in the end if there was a true 60 plus to be caught in the MN I have no doubt someone (in the past how many years or present) "in here" would have laid claim to it (pre or post spawn). Some very good cat guys (active in here or not) cover the MN river in almost every section. then you have those who are just coming into the sport and putting a bung load of time in boats and on shore.

Just not right now, but I have and will be proven wrong. wink

Ya gotta say there is one in their, cause that is the name of the game that keeps cat guys rolling. grin

Without a doubt shack....without a doubt.

If deciding on putting money down on a big underdog in Vegas, involving a true 60lber being caught during open water in 2009 in the MN river, I would place my money based on what the "Ace" handicapper of catfishing on the MN has posted above grin

I know it is said that "not everyone who fishes the MN river like the major players in this forum post's on-line", then you have the rumors, but in the end if there was a true 60 plus to be caught in the MN I have no doubt someone (in the past how many years or present) "in here" would have laid claim to it (pre or post spawn).

I think there are more than you think who dont post online or feel it necesarry to lay claim to a 60. Its not even the state record, now if we were talking 70 pounder...that would be a different story. Lots of uncles in my family who have lots of bigs cats under there belts that dont even have internet access.

Look at Ec30_06, Slowhand, Bassboy, Dtro and Wisker warrior's caught fish (theres more but I'm not going to list everyone). Those are all huge fish with easy potential to be 60 pounds in one feeding.

Its just a matter of time before you see your "true 60" from someone on this forum.

I belive that there is 60's and even bigger in our MN river system and if you think that they are there in the spring they are there now and now is the time when it will probally be more difficult to hook into those true monsters. I belive that those big fish are in those spots we all fish, but with those fish a meal means work so I think they lay and wait in certain ambush situations so as to not exspell the energy it takes to chase down a meal and a fish such as we are talking needs alot of food to stay alive. With that said I feel the fish of this size will eat bigger baitfish and limit itself to the energy it spends but if this big fish has a bullie,creekchub,sucker or whatver bait a fisherman is using layed in front of its face I'm sure that it would take it. and its just a matter of time before we see someone with the monster

Its just a matter of time before you see your "true 60" from someone on this forum.

The way I think about it is, for flats it is not like the DNR just stocked them in the MN river 15 years ago and we are seeing them grow like we are with muskies in some lakes. they have been in their for years.

I just think there are limits to how big a flat can grow in the state of MN and especially in the MN river. I guess we are looking for the freak, that breaks the odd's.

Maybe there are guys out their with out internet that have got 60plus fish, but the rumors just grow grin I know guys who have been fishing for years and do not (will not) post on the internet, who have very large fish from the Miss. and the Croix, but they do have pics and talk about them at the local bait store and with whom ever they meet on the river. Word gets around. I mean what is the point of fishing for big fish if you tell no one? grin Maybe just me, but there is really none.

I am hoping the more the DNR takes notices and does studies up this way, the population of flats over 60 in the MN river will be exposed. Like I said, if i put money on anyone, it is the guys in the forum and involved with the BPCL. IMO, those are the dedicated bunch, that is on the river all the time, fishing for big fish. I know there are others, but when most times you can point out who's truck is who's at the launch around 3:00am, those are the guys (IMO) who are the cats guys.

Forget about the 60, let's talk about a 70 laugh

If I had a boat I would be out there as much as I can. Sure you can get some big guys and girls from shore. But I think a boat is the key to catching big ones. I usually stay out till at least 2 am.

However the other night I didn't get any fish until everyone in my group left and I stayed out till 3am. Seems like if I do not get a fish by 1130 I might as well pack it up and leave. Or just get up early some day and head out to the river at about 2 and fish with the sunrise.

I guess I would just rather sit out on the river till the wee hours of the morning doing nothing any maybe catch a fish rather than, sit at home till the wee hours of the morning and do nothing, and catch NO fish.

Guess if it really gets slow out there I can always fish for bullies out of my fish tank smile

If I had a boat I would be out there as much as I can. Sure you can get some big guys and girls from shore. But I think a boat is the key to catching big ones. I usually stay out till at least 2 am.

However the other night I didn't get any fish until everyone in my group left and I stayed out till 3am. Seems like if I do not get a fish by 1130 I might as well pack it up and leave. Or just get up early some day and head out to the river at about 2 and fish with the sunrise.

I guess I would just rather sit out on the river till the wee hours of the morning doing nothing any maybe catch a fish rather than, sit at home till the wee hours of the morning and do nothing, and catch NO fish.

Guess if it really gets slow out there I can always fish for bullies out of my fish tank smile

I feel the same way about the boat situation man...but shore fishing definitely has it's perks. Can't get a big fire going out in a boat plus don't have to worry about destroying a prop or running up on a sandbar. I think it is more fun catching fish from a boat but I feel more confident from shore.

Obviously though yeah I want a boat just cannot have one at the current time in my life. But I know a couple years down the road I will own a river boat and will be able to go anywhere I please whenever I please.

I wonder how long it will take for Steve to see this? whistle

Not very long. I was thinking 219 might be good enough to hang on - but I guess it is not. I need a really big fish and I've got a spot that could do it. I'm out every night this week if I have to.

I was going to take this evening off but now I've changed my mind. I've got a dozen bullheads in the bait tank and it is a nice evening with light winds. I'm headed for the Patience Hole and I'm going to catch one big enough to bump somebody else off the GREEN.

Staying in the KOTC Green gets harder all the time.

[quote=dtro I'm going to catch one big enough to bump somebody else off the GREEN.

Staying in the KOTC Green gets harder all the time.

Well Steve now You just told me what I'm doing tonight guess I have to catch one bigenough to bump someone out grin

Good luck, Gordie. I'm heading out the door with my game face on. I just tied up a new stock of cat bait harnesses, threw a couple of apples in the backpack for supper and I'm chasing flats. I'm after you guys now.