• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.com .net .org .us ?????????

I finally got the majority of work done forming my LLC,but when I went to register my .com name for my new site-the name had been taken. Funny part is,the only person,in the entire universe who registered it lives 30 miles away from me!

Turns out he works for an ad agency who locks in all the .com names they think people will be wanting and expects big dollars for the domain name.

The bottom line is he wants $500 for the name just so I can have the .com on the end. I can register the same name with a .net .org or .us on the end-those are still available [he probably locked those in after I called him!]

Anyone think it would make any diff? I can still set it up so the co's name still comes up in google and yahoo searches just the same with any domain name I choose,or even changing a letter or two or adding a slash,but having the .com domain name would be nice.

I have a function to attend,but I will check in later tonight as I value the folk's opinions on here.

Yeah MM I've had a few domain issues myself. I would also not hesitate one bit to use a .biz or .net. I definitely would not pay $500 to get a .com from the slea....ah gentleman.

The other option since your LLC is not entirely set at this point would be to make a slight name change that is not taken. I am guessing you have used your name in your LLC?

Will this be federally registered as well? That can be a big issue especially if you are doing business across state lines like a print sale to Minnesota from Iowa. Don't ask how I know all this by the way crazy

Dietz, I can't speak for MM but when I set mine up a few years back there are actually a few options.

-Have a lawyer to all the work for you. Cost around $1000 to $1500 and additional fees to the state for registration.

-Do it yourself. It has become very easy to do all the work required for an LLC on line. Cost should be in the < $500 range.

-On line company do it for you. I'm not 100% sure on those costs but there are quite a few out there that advertise doing the work for you.

On a side note if you are going to form an LLC for photography don't forget about insurance. When you start earning income from your work this will be a must! Your personal insurance company will take a very dim view of any claims you make that are not covered under a commercial policy.

Some folks use their personal insurance company to get additional coverage, I would encourage you to look at a few of the companies that deal specifically with photography. You have my e-mail if you want more information MM.

This is always interesting and there are more than one person that buys up domain names. Business is business. Personally for me I found out that it really didn't matter what was at the end of it .com .net .biz etc Once you establish yourself with the search engines and get enough hits to boost your domain up there, after all that's were most of your hits will come from. Here's a little helpfull idea that will get you more hits and put your name on top of google yahoo etc faster as well, buy multiple domains, such as your name .com, something along the lines of your work .com the area in which you live .com etc you can have them all linked to your site and the main domain will mask them out so people would still see your original domain once on the site. This should help bring it up there faster. Once people start using your site not many will ever think about if it was .com or .net they'll google it first and click the link from there. Obviously you'll want to market the name as well, I'd save the 500 bucks and use it for that. Have fun with it

I would say now-a-days with the search engines out their, getting as much "tag words/keywords" (meta tags) assigned to your site, that pertain to what your site is about (and more) will get just as many, if not more hits than just having a .com address. I am sure you know about needing to get on an advertisement program for search engines wink That needs to be done right after the site is set up.

Until you build up a large vocabulary in your site, tag words you assign during the set up of the site will help bring up your address in search engines, when people request same or similar words in a search engine search that pertain to your site. .

Get those other .???’s before he gets them or else start from scratch with you domain name.

I would say 99.9% of my searching on the web is done threw a search engine and I never look past the .??? anymore.

Good luck!