• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My first shots of a Great Grey Owl

When we all through shooting at the feed station I decides I would take a different route from everybody else and I was rewarded with a GGO that did not mind me following him around. I knew that Buzzsaw and Stan would more then likely go to where they spotted one this morning and I know crowds never help so I went down McDivitt and about halfway down I spotted this guy.

IMG_4248ppp.jpg

IMG_4231ppp.jpg

IMG_4236ppp.jpg

IMG_4255ppp.jpg

IMG_4251ppp.jpg

Ken it seems like I always left to early or just missed it so when this one appeared I could not believe it was that close AND I was able to get a couple of shots. You will have to just make another road trip to the bog-the third try is always a charm wink

When we all through shooting at the feed station I decides I would take a different route from everybody else and I was rewarded with a GGO that did not mind me following him around. I knew that Buzzsaw and Stan would more then likely go to where they spotted one this morning and I know crowds never help so I went down McDivitt and about halfway down I spotted this guy.

Just started looking through some of the photography posts on this site and was wondering what McDivitt is. Is this a nature preserve or...

BTW, nice pics

Caleb, it's a region called the Sax-Zim Bog, and is a well-known area among birders and avian photographers. McDavitt is one of the roads that goes through the Bog.

I'm still tempted to head up there, but I'm afraid I'll have the same luck that Ken has. whistle

You can't get the pictures if you don't make the trip. I'd think the ease of getting boreal chickadee images at Ribs2 feeding station alone would be reason enough. I don't know anywhere else you can drive up and park, set up your tripod and leave after a day's shooting with the near certainty that the species will visit within 10 feet of you. And being diurnal, northern hawk owls are a near certainty as well. Great gray owls are just a bonus. smile

Nice meeting you finally, Jim! We had a great "succesful" day up in the Bog! This must be the Owl you were telling us about when we saw you down on Nichols Rd at the end of the day. Very nice! We had perfect light snowfall on and off and the birds were very much good models!

Everything is done by the roadside for the most part. Yesterday I went into the ditch to take a picture and it went well past my knees so if that is your plan you might want to get some snowshoes. If you are planning a trip up let us know and we can give you some tips and there is a good chance one of us will be hanging around the bog.