• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittany breeder

adamwv

I'll be looking to get a Brittany pup in the spring for hunting/family pet. I want to be sure to get it from a family based breeder (no puppy mills!).

Can anyone make a recommendation in this area? I am in Rochester and would drive a few hours if needed.

Thanks!

Adam

Thanks Brittman and anyfish. Those are some fine looking dog's you both have.

I'll be contacting the Jacobsen's and try to get a pup in the spring.

I'll probably be posting for training/hunting advice in the future. I grew up hunting grouse in WV but I've not hunted in Minnesota the couple years I've lived here. This will also be my first Brittany.

Thanks Again!!

Adam

Google SCVBC and you will link to the web site. Click on BREEDERS and you will see many to contact.

I have been a member of the SCVBC on and off over the past 15 years. Good organization with nice people interested in pointing dogs. They host summer training sessions, hunt tests and field trials.

I have a purchased a couple of Brittanys that have been flown to me at 8 weeks old and purchased Brittanys in the upper Midwest. By all means talk to as many breeders as you can.

Three years ago, I had narrowed my search down to four breeders

Ben's - Leroy

DD - Monticello (tough to talk with. "get in-line")

Quail Hollow - NJ (purchased previous 2 dogs here)

Maple River - IOWA (close 2nd last time around, great guy)

I do not necessarily believe in "name dropping" dogs or breeders, but... In the MN, WI, IA circles you will hear mention of Maverick bloodlines. Irv Anderson, Jordan, MN was (is?) a very successful Brittany breeder in MN ... many individuals (newpaper adds, breeder links, etc...) will note this lineage. IMHO - somewhat diluted in this day and age...

Nolan's Last Bullet is a 30+ time National Shoot to Retrieve champion gun dog. Ben has dogs that originate from this dog ... and is the grandfather of my younger dog. This dog must be the real deal, but again the breeding is starting to become a little "diluted" in the Brittany circles.

In the end I chose Ben because (not in any particular order):

1) half day drive from my home. We went to see his dogs before and talk with him in person. We visited the pups two or three times with kids (great experience).

2) pup selection process was easiest and most comfortable for me.

3) proven breeding that produces excellent hunting dogs and family dogs.

I used to work my dogs with a Brittany trainer, at his summer camp, named Bill Hancock. His kennel name was "Gunrunner". They tended to be bigger leggier dogs that had a ton of stamina. I would go there, last I heard he was living and working in Ottumwa Ia. Brittman would know more about Bill since I've been away from trials for 10 yrs now. Hancock had been a member and ran in the St Croix clubs trials. They were STRONG dogs that had serious desire.

I got a dog from Irv 12 years ago and found out two years ago when looking for a second dog that he has passed on. His wife said that she quit the breeding business shortly afterword. I also remember reading that the Maverick line had lost some of it's luster. I spent a decent amount of time trying to find a good breeder and sort of got to realize that looking at stuff on line and talking to people on the phone really didn't cut it. I was lucky enough to find a great dog via some personall recommendations from people who I had learned to trust.

I guess my advice once you get a dog is to spend time saving money and checking on finding a trainer that fits your needs. Both my dogs have gone to pros - I don't have the knowledge or the temperment to train a pointer. The one thing that surprised me with this new dog was the strong recommendation to get the dog training at 3-4 months of age in a program that was going to expose him to a lot of birds. Again I lucked out and that worked out well for me. Cooper went and got his BA this summer from Chad and Jodi Hines up in Little Falls. The dog is a dynamo and I am just elated with the result.

Keep asking until you feel comfortable with what you learn. Face to face contact and watching litters/trainers is invalueable. I had a very bad experience this summer with a trainer I took my daughter's lab to and so there are times when you have to look deeper than just a 10 minute chat.

Good Luck.

Tom

Go with a pro if you have to, but if you cannot or do not want to use a pro, Britts are trainable by us amatures.

The Britt clubs mentioned above are a good resource. I believe Chad has been an advisor to some club's training...

I have trained my dogs myself and all have become very good bird dogs. I am from the camp that believes young dogs can see over exposure to birds (leave 'em hungry for more)... and I am not a fan of pigeons (low cost staple of the dog training industry)...

Not to put too much pressure on Ben, but his dog's just about train themselves. Bird instinct is that strong ... the obedience component can be done at home or shopped out if so inclined.

Brittanys are softer temperment dogs and can be over welmed by force or aggressive training. Be soft spoken and consistent as much as possible (yah I have broke many a times).

Be patient and do not expect every encounter with birds or every day to go well ... it is step process with the finish the goal ...

I've had Britt's all my life & never had to go to a pro to train them.

They're easily trained if the back ground is in place by the breeding.

Be patient & take your time, Britt's are very personal and intelligent.

You've picked a great breed to go with.

Personally, if I didn't have the time to train my own partner, I probably wouldn't have one though.

there's a bond you get when you do it yourself!!

Just my 2cents!!

Good luck,hope you do well!

Thanks to those of you for your recommendations. I went with Ben's Brittanys and couldn't possibly be happier. Ben is great through the whole process, from suggesting reading to updates on the litter to picking the puppy. He also microchipped the dog for us (for a very reasonable fee), took care of first vet visits, and set us up with lots of good documentation and information at pickup time. And on top of all that I got a great dog!