• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Navigation unit for vehicle

Whisker Trout Slayer

Question

I am doing some research for my mom as my sister has asked for one of those Navigation units for your auto like a TOM TOM.

She is looking for one of the cheaper units and I don't know how much she will spend so lets say the cheaper the better. So I have some questions.

1. Do they all have the voice telling you when to turn?

2. Do they come with all the road maps or do you need to buy the CD software?

3. Do they all come with the bracket holder, which I think by the vehicles that pass us on the interstate, that suction cup to the vindshield?

4. I know there is quite aprice range for them, so what is it that distinguishes the prices?

5. What option do I "NEED"?

6. How easy are these things to use, to enter starting point and ending destination?

7. Does it just go by the address that you enter?

Any help I can get on helping my mom make a purchase will be appreciated. Oh yeah my sister just moved to the Des Moines/Ankeny area and this would be an excellent gift for her being new to the area.

17 answers to this question

If you do a search online for Garmin Best Buy coupon, you can find a coupon to print off for $50 off any Garmin unit.

You can even find a pink one if you'd like.

Your first 4 answers are yes.

You don't really NEED any options, since you could just get a map book and do the same thing.

They'll all have where you enter an address and you'll just drive right there.

The more money, usually the more options, such as 3-4 different voices you can use, 2-3 million more points of interest built in (restaurants, gas stations, etc.) or built in traffic antenna.

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi online at Wallyworld for around 150 last year. It works great, the wife steals it from me all the time. It is just a general model, but works well for trips if you have the address. Like stated above, the more you spend the more options you get. They seem to be getting cheaper every month if you watch the price on certain models.

1. No

2. Most do.

3. Some do.

4. More expensive gives you an option of weather, traffic and subscription services. Wider screens. They all navigate!

5. Many like the voice option.

6. Almost all are easy to use, should not take long to figure out.

7. For the most part.

My personal inexpensive favorite right now, and it has a number of good deals going on it is the Garmin 255W.

Thanks for the quick responses. I did some searching on Cabelas and also Amazon and was looking at the TOM TOM ONE 125 and also the Garmin nuvi 205. Anybody use these?

Dbl - how much have you seen the Garmin 255W? Does that one tell you the street name to turn on in the text to voice feature (I think that is what they call it).

Crappie Commando- which nuvi number was that one?

I am thinking the most she will spend is around $150.

Thanks for the help.

WTS That Garmin does have the text to voice feature. I've seen it from reputable dealers in the $200 range.

The Garmin 205W is very similar to the 255W I believe without text to speech. You can buy the 205 or 255 a bit cheaper, they just don't have the widescreen.

Garmin is also heavily discounting the 750/760 which was close to a top of the line unit about 6 months ago. I've seen that unit in the $200 range as well.

Almost all these units these days will do what you want it to do, get you from A to B with decent directions. So whichever route you go I have no doubt you will be satisfied.

Another one to check out is the Lowrance XOG. It has text to speech directions and what's even better, is that when she is not using it, you can swipe it and throw in a Lakemaster chip for fishing wink

You can find it for $159 if you look around a bit wink

149.99 for the XOG at a major retailer located in Rogers and Owatonna. I have my mapcreate and lakemaster chip that will work in this unit. From the sounds of it, neither will work in the Garmin or any other brand models. I might have to sell my H2Oc now. Bigger screen is a bonus thats for sure. I just wish they would update the Mapcreate program. This is from 2003 I think, and the WMAs are way outdated, and no WPAs are on the unit. Anyone know of another program/chip that would have more updated info?

For what the OP describes for the use of the GPS for his sister there are a few reasons I would avoid the XOG. The XOG does not speak proper street names so they can be difficult to understand at times. There is no detour function, and you cannot exclude a road from a route.

As a STRICTLY automotive GPS this would not be a choice I personally would look at. The 3.5 inch screen is smaller compared to most others at 4.3 in that price range.

If you are looking for a mutlti-purpose unit as DTRO describes to do some of the things described above and you already own additional software you might consider this unit. JMHO.

Just a reminder all if you have a vehicle with a removable GPS remember to stow it away after parking. It is like a magnet for thieves.

Also I saw on the news tonight it is illeagal to have it attached to the window in Minnesota. Califonia is the only other state with the same law and that one expires in january. It looks as though the law is not enforced much but it does give a reason to pull you over.

Look at black friday ads, there are a lot on sale this year.

I predict that these units are THE item this Christmas. Last year it was the digital picture frame. Just walked into the B'ville Best Buy last week and the GPS display was huge and right there when you walk in the door. I had no idea they made so many models. They must have had over 30 units on display.

Also I saw on the news tonight it is illeagal to have it attached to the window in Minnesota.

The real reason behind this law is that they could never make radar detectors against the law here, so they can give you a ticket for having one of those suction cupped to your windshield. I think most cops careless about GPS units, but nonetheless, like you said, another reason to be able to pull you over.

Yes remove them...There were many days this summer when I went to parking lots to take theft reports where the theives went from vehicle to vehicle and stole the GPS units. It only take a few seconds to smash your window, reach in and take your GPS and leave.