• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flip over -or- "Cabin" style portable?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All...

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now, trying to decide on a new portable for this season.

In the past I've used "cabin" or suitcase style houses and enjoy the fact you have a floor. But, I feel they're just too darn heavy for me and my bad back. In fact, I have a 2 year old 6800 Clam that I've never used just due to the weight. Plenty of room, but just too heavy for me.

On the other hand, I have a medium sized Otter sled that I'm thinking of just getting the skin for and calling it good. It would be light weight and very portable, but, no floor. As I saw in another post, there my be options for a floor, but that would mean hauling more stuff...

So what do you think? Go with a skin for my mediium Otter, or buy a smaller, lighter "cabin" style?

Thanks.....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I'd have to agree, flip over shacks are the way to go. setup is quicker, and your mobility is increased. There is no moving the shack around to drill holes, you simply slide the sled into the desired spot, punch your holes, clear them and flip the shack over, and you're fishing. I bought a fishtrap voyager last year and i love it. The weight thing is kind of an issue, but that kind of depends on what all you pile into the sled. I guess i could leave the keg at home grin.gif

tight lines
porter

opsirc,
please use the For sale forums for this type of post.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by opsirc (edited 10-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-07-2004).]

I was in your shoe's last year. Decided to retire my old Clam (no, I didn't get divorced) and went with the Otter. I haven't looked back since for all the reason's stated above. The other benefit I like is the fact you dont need to be so exact when drilling holes. On the Clams, you have a pretty small area in the floor to get two holes - especially if there's 3 feet of ice underneath.

I would go with the flip-over, its more portable and more efficient on the ice. Very easy to set-up and take down. Moving from spot to spot is a breeze. I actually prefer an open floor, allows me to position my holes the way I want and when a heater is lit you really don't noticed a big difference. Your toes might get a little cold from time to time if you sit in one spot too long, but that should mean you're on a hot bite so you'll have to weigh your options smile.gif

porter,
I can see how the sled would get heavy smile.gif

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

Howdy All and thanks for the info!! I believe I'm going to bite the bullet and buy not only an Otter skin, but upgrade to a larger sled as well. If I feel my lil' tootsies getting too cold, I'll address that with a new pair of boots which I probably need anyways. Or put on my thinking cap and design a floor kit....

To those of you interested in the 6800 I have... Keep an eye on the "For Sale" forum for my listing... I just paid for my ad and when I get the okay from the F.M. Team, the ad will be placed. Hopefully tomorrow...

BTW... I am going to keep the medium sled, so don't even ask... smile.gif

Note to Rick.... Sorry about my original post. After re-reading it it sort of sounds like I'm prospecting for buyers. I assure you that was not my intention....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 10-07-2004).]

Yup I have a suitcase one, used to the the flip up ones were "stupid" then I found out who was the "stupid" one, after I fished a flip over one, I was kicking myself. Biggest reason is mobility, I can throw everything in the sled and go and leave it in there, unlike my 'case, and collection of tubs I've been hauling along, no more for me, I've seen the light.

Moose-Hunter
Congratulations on your decision to go with a flip over. It will not disappoint you.

I started ice fishing in a 4'x8' suitcase style house. My dad and I got extremely quick at setting it up and taking it down. The only problem was everything had to go into the house and come out of the house every time we moved. One day I got sick of it and decided to leave the lighter things (rods, depthfinders, chairs, buckets, tackleboxes, etc) in the house while I sat on the tailgate of the pickup holding on to the house while me moved from spot to spot. This worked moderately well. I also fell off the tailgate about every other time we moved when the house would catch on a snow drift.

So I started to look for a better way and took a look at Otter's houses and also Fish Traps. Since I was somewhat on a budget, I went with the Otter Den 1 person. I absolutely do not regret that decision. I can pull it by hand with all my gear in it. I can pull it behind the snowmobile with all my gear in it. I could not do this with a suitcase style house very well. Believe me, I've tried. That suitcase has been pulled 2-3 miles out onto LOW behind the sled and 2-3 miles on Upper Red also. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done.

I would like to mention that there are many ways to make your flip-over house work better for you. You are pretty much limited by your imagination. From plywood dividers, tie down eyebolts, plastic rubbermaid totes, T-bones butt bridges, rod holders, milk crates, etc.

Click this link to see what I did to my Otter. http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/004710.html
I spent many hours on the ice last winter coming up with this idea and I'm going to be spending many more figuring out how well it works for me. 1/2 sheet a plywood, glue, some screws, carpet, a little bit of my time and its done. Very minimal investment for a very functional peice of gear.

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 10-07-2004).]

I use the semi-foam garage floor mats(also might be called anti-fatige mats) that you can buy from an automotive parts store, to lay on the ice. they are about 18"x18" and lock together like a puzzle and do not absorb water or slip on glare ice it helps keep your feet warm and knees dry if you bend dowm to get closer to the hole. They are sold in 8 or 10 packs for about $10.They are a greyish color and work great for me, They are also about a half inch thick so they don't take up too much space