• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you look for in a spear and decoys?

MinnesotaMuskie

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the funniest thing I ever tried was a christmas decoration, it was a disco looking ball off the christmas tree, I put split shot in it to give it some weight and noise I placed some holes to allow the air to get out and I would either jig it our spin it, the little pike would roll on and and think they were at the disco ball. but who know how many I scared but it was fun to watch the little fellows come on in and check it out

It happened...my first pike on a spear since the late 70's!!! I was on a small lake. I set up in 7 feet of crystal clear water.

I put down a large red/white decoy and worked it and tuned it for at least 2 hours. I played around with a few of the other decoys I have bought for another hour. I did not see a fish...at least a Pike.

I put the large red/white down and played around for a bit. I got bored and went outside. I walked back in and there it was...small pike. I dropped (actually threw) the spear and missed. Just like Buck Fever.

Next fish I saw were walleyes?? Suddenly, it appeared, my chance at redemption...4-5 pound fish...another clean miss.

You guessed it...I hit my decoy and broke the decoy line. My red/white lay on the bottom. I fished it out with the ice scoop and the spear rope.

The mud cleared...and another chance...a 4 lb pike...no, I did not miss. I speared my first pike since I was a kid. What a rush.

It was great:):):)

Went out this afternoon. Stopped by a freinds house (he's building a new one) and his youngest boy has been getting an itch to try spearing. My bud didn't have time so I took the kid out and man you talk about excitment.

Went to a lake that I usually have good luck on and got set up. About 20 min and a small one came in hit the chub, swirled and left. I'd told him we didn't want any under bout 3#. He was buzin after I told him there's a good chance he might come back but would be too small and we should pass on him. He said well I want ya to show me how to do it, I told dad we'd be havin creamed northern for supper, I'll clean em, and of couse his first fish he'd seen in a spearhole, it's gotta be bigger than 3 pounds as he appeared on the other end of the hole. Come on take him. Well I guess I couldn't let down all that excitment so I took him. Then told him next one he'd have to take as I finally got him to sit in the chair.

About 25 min later another small one came in and I'd already made up that anything would go now. This one showed his head and the kid asked if he could take him as he already had the spear half in the water. Then it bolted hit the chub, swirled hit it again, disappeared came back hit chub again swirled and stared at the red and white. The boy put the spear right behind the ears. KId was buzin then, bouncin off the walls like a superball.

After a couple more hrs. I went out to take care of a coffe problem and let the truck warm up. I didn't even get my zipper down and heard the kurplunk. I got one he's huge you better come in and pull him up. Went in to pull him up turn out he'd missed but did manage to put my spear bout 3' in the mud. After what he'd explained I'd guess it was about 4 lb maybe better.

On the way home he was explaining how he'd stay up late and remodel dads angling house for spearing. Build a spear outta an old pitchfork so on and so forth so we could go bright and early in the morn. When I dropped him off I told him to get some sleep I got another house and spear. Sounds like I might go spearing in the mornin grin.gif

Didn't mean to make this so long winded but just seeing all that excitment was more fun than anything.

psegriz

Great story! How old is the boy? What a rush when they come in and attack the decoys or live bait. To bad a monster pike didn't come through the hole at the speed of sound shocked.gif so he could see it and not have a chance to spear blush.gifit. You think he is hyped now he would really be fired up if he did see a 20+pounder laugh.gif. Keep us informed on the boys progress.

I know they rent houses on Winni, Judds had a few in the past and we had a great experience at Third River Flowage with Dixon Lake Resort runs houses out there, I think they have houses for rent on White Fish Chain as well, ya it is to bad that you never get a chance to watch the big ones longer, it would be a blast to have the 20 pounder to be as annoying as the 3 pounder

fishtoys

I think if he'd had a twenty pounder smack and play with the chub like the little pike did 1 of 3 things woulda happened.

1. His heart would explode.

2. My fishhouse would explode.

3. My spear woulda been 5' in the mud.

Seems to be comin along said he wasn't goin to take any under 3 lb. Said he "seen two smaller than yesterday and another come through like a lightnin bolt, never hit anything though. Looked like 10 lb so i'd guess maybe 4-5 lbs."

I think he's got the idea that thing just look bigger down there. This lake is loaded with small fish and am thinking of telling him to take some to thin them out and then he'd get a little more relaxed so when a big one does come.

What do you guys think? It's a small lake no pressure cause all land is owned by 3 people.

I have always been an advocate of taking a few smaller ones to thin out the stock.

Brooten...not to far from Amelia where I have my cabin.

You need any help thinning out those small pike...I have three boys, 13, 10, 7 who love nothing more...well actually they do love Wreslting...but the ice house is right there also.

Take a few, let the rest grow.

Have you ever speared Grove Lake?

Hi Griz, I finnaly got luckly today. Between the wifes surgery and getting back to work I finally speared a fish today. It seemed like forever since the last one!! Still would like to hook up sometime if it works out for us. Mike

Mike still lookin to hook up. 22nd I'm probably going to URL. Let me know

Edit

Also E-mail me if ya would how to contact dark house and angling assoc. psegriz at hotmail dot com

Do you know when the decoy show is?

Hi Griz, got company this weekend so maybe the 29th? The Alex show is Feb 26th if that's the one you want. There is also one Brainerd this month. And one in Perham in April. I'm the vice prez of the Alex chapter. we just lost one of carvers, 75 and he was going strong right to the end. He made some awsome decoys!! Later, Mike

Stay warm!!

Well Fishtoys since you asked here is my story: I went out Saturday morning the 15th. I don't know exactly how cold it was but it shaped up to be a real nice day. Anyways I sat from from about 8:30 to 11:15 without seeing a pike. I did have a chance to watch a bass and some sunfish. At 11:19 a real nice one came in while I was standing over the hole taking a leak into a coffee can. By the time I got myself together and grabbed the spear she made off with my decoy minnow. I then started pulling on the red/white wood decoy and she slid back in but was off to the side and stayed there for awhile. I would guess her at about 10lb. I didn't want to risk wounding her so I didn't throw. Then at about 12:30 a 26" pike came in so I speared it. At 1:30 another 4lb came in and I missed. My spear stuck in the mud and the rope came off when I tried to pull it in. I was able to hook the end of the spear with the rope tied to a piece of bent metal I had. Needless to say I have the rope tied on a lot better now! So there you go, anyone else have any tales from the darkhouse?

I'm going to give it a try this weekend as well. I haven't been out spearing since mid-December, when all I needed was a chisel to make a hole. Luckily, my father-in-law "loaned" me his gas auger, since he spends winters in Arizona now.

haven't been out for 2 1/2 weeks, was wanting to catch up with Griz and am not sure how thats going happen yet!! Might try it this saturday if there's no flood on the lake!!! I think it will be interesting this weekend!! I could use some fresh fish for dinner!!!