• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you look for in a spear and decoys?

MinnesotaMuskie

Hey Mike- Let me know how it turns out when you get it back. I like your idea about leaving some of the marks on it. How long was the 16#? Did you just have it mounted as a wall mount or are you doing something special with it? Anyone planning on going to the Brainerd Lakes Area MDHA banquet tomorrow night at Gary's in Crosby?

Ok just one more question...trying to keep this one at the top and it's interesting to talk to other spearers because I only have one friend that spears. On an average day how many northerns do you have come through your hole?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spearing Boy, I'll be at the dinner tonight for the Brainerd group. As for the mount I have to go with the wall mount because of space in our home. Sure hope to get it back real soon too!! If you get this post before tonight give me some way to figure out who you are there.It's getting closer!!!!!!

Owen

I have moved a little west but it is closer to where I normally speared anyhow. I like to go on smaller lakes. The fish tend to be a bit more aggressive on smaller lakes. Must be quicker with the spear. When I see no houses out there then it's time to put out mine. It don't take long and I'll have neighbors then I'll go find another spot. I have 3 lakes that are great fisheries that have no public access so I save those lakes for when I've hit the rest. Smaller lakes seem to be extreme when hot they just smoke and when dead they are DEAD.

Spearingboy: Just a warning if you angle out the sides of your hole. After a couple days the sides will be smooth & shiney and will reflect like crazy. On bright days will reflect down into the hole which can scare fish. Either score up the sides or move the house.

Good to meet you too Mike. I won a fillet knife with a price tag on it for $47.99 made by Blakemore Knives. Then I won a pair of ice creepers. That's all we took home. Would've been great to get that $400.00 mount prize or one of Jeremy's spears but that didn't happen. Had a great time though. They need to figure out a way to make it run smoother in my opinion. I thought it was pretty long, but it was only there second one and they had some great prizes.I'm not trying to complain but I just was thinking about that. Did you win anything? Worked on getting my spear houses ready to go today. With school during the week and now deer hunting coming up on the weekends it's hard to find time in November so I decided today would be a good day. Take it easy

Minnesota Muskie, that would be fun! I think there are some nice fish over there. We will have stay in touch as the season gets closer. Spearin Boy, glad to hear you got that knife!! It looked like a real nice one, sure hope it is!! Be sure to tell your boss "Hello" for us!! Went out fishing tonight, real slow but just good to be out there!! Mike

Where do you usually spear? I am just getting back into the scene...kids are old enough and are showing an interest.

I think the weeds and the channel into Lake Villard would be the place to start.

I can find the winter walleyes on that lake if you can find the spear hole?

Does anyone have any photos of decoys they like...or ones that have been successful.

I have a digital and need to figure out how to post a pic.

tongue.gif

MinnesotaMuskie, I think you have a good idea of where to start. I have the saw and auger to make my holes so we are good to go there. My portable is always ready!! As for decoys just start with the basic red and white sucker or something to that effect. You can get a nice selection at Fleet Farm and some other good bait stores. I too would like to learn how to post a picture, am getting the camera this week or next!!! Stay in touch and hope for ice!! That is after I get the boat, lift and dock out of the lake!! I think another week or 2!!! Mike89

Mike,

Please shoot me your e-mail and any info you have. There is not better place to make connections than these types of functions...they are just plain fun.

Maybe a weekend outing on Amelia, home base my cabin. With the right crew...could be a blast.

Another great lake to spear is outside of Hackansack on Number 5. It is called Webb Lake. I spent a day with an older gentleman who spears that lake often...Althoug I was not spearing, we saw many nice fish. Water is like gin.

Minnesotamuskie, I will email you tonight or thusday. Good to hear from you again. I will find out then, the area, where you live and get you some info to help you enjoy the sport more!!! I'll place my name "Mike89" in the subject line. Hackensack would fun and I have thinking of a lake by Aikin too. So we have thoughts going here. Mike89

As far as how many you see, its really just like regular fishing, sometimes they will come in just plain nuts and crazy and you could throw down any decoy down there and they will come in and other days you can sit out there the whole day and only see one, they all still act based on weather, just as you would chase them normally, if you dont think you could catch them angling, I wouldnt try spearing either then.

Best Fishes

Chris

This just sounds like too much fun! I'm in!

Mike89: can you pop me an e-mail with the information on the guy who makes spears in Melrose?

MinnesotaMuskie: I'd also be interested in checking out the product made by the Amish gentleman.

I just went berserk on ice-angling stuff at the store today; now this.

Whoa! Ice is good!

Thanks.