• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you look for in a spear and decoys?

MinnesotaMuskie

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I went to the lake today to pick up and deliver our big house that we sold...I should have my new spearing house this week...all set.

I stopped in the sports shop in Sauk Center...Dans I think was the name...they had some very nice weighted spears, with a nice cord and a very nive attachment for the cord to the spear. They had them priced @ 82 bucks. If I had not ordered two spears through a buddy...I would have snapped them, up.

I am still waiting on my "Amish made spears????" My buddy spears constatnly...has for 40 years...he swears they are great...time will tell.

I picked up a red and white decoy and a blugill decoy today...how far off the bottom do you guys swim your decoys?

Do you swim them in the middle of the hole...or opposite your spear?

When I speared...years ago...I always had the head of the spear under water to allow for deflection...is this still pretty much the rule?

MNmuskie- I'm not an expert spearer but I'll tell ya what I usually do. As far as how deep to set your decoy for me that depends on how deep I'm spearing in. If I'm in say 6ft. I like to have it about 4 ft. down vs. if I'm in 12ft. I might have it 7-8ft. down. Now that's a long ways to throw a spear acurrately for me so when the fish comes in I usually pull my decoy up slowly and they usually follow it right up. I've had them come up to within a couple feet of the water surface before. When I have a fish come in that's when I put the head of my spear in the water. When I'm just watching and waiting I just rest it on the ice or inside the house. But, for sure when you're going to throw you want the spear in the water. The spashing will spook the fish if it's thrown above the water. Hope that helped some. Get those pictures figured out yet???

Its neat to see how much interest there has been in this thread. Just 30 days to go until the opener. Now, lets just hope we have some ice when December 1st comes around. Where are you guys going to try first once the season opens? For me, I am going to Winni for four days. I put the boat away yestereday, so I know I'll be ready to hit the ice soon.

Owen

Minnesotamuskie, Spearingboy gave you some good info on decoy placement. The other thing is how clear is the water. I have speared in 2 foot of water and 20 feet of water. I did hear of some old timers that placed their decoys very deep, not me. I want a clean score!! Good luck!! PS. The spears Jeremy K. makes will beat any others I feel!!

Owen- Not sure where I'm going to go first yet. I usually put my permanent house out on Gun lake and hop around to different area lakes with my portable. I've tried Cedar lake before but sat for a couple hours and only saw one fish. I've also tried some no name lakes around the aitkin area with some decent luck. I used to spear blind lake a little but it's pretty dark and I like spearing in clear water. Mike have you ever tried Ripple? I think it's pretty dark isn't it? I'm going to try farm island and hanging kettle this winter. Never tried them before so it should be interesting.

Has anyone made a spear box of some kind to safely transport your spear to and from the lake. I am thinking of making something to hold my spear while on foot or 4-wheeler. I'd welcome your thoughts.

Owen

Owen

In stained water you can still spear effectively even in deeper water. Should use a live decoy only deep enough to still be able to see. I put a bell similar to the ones in a rattle wheel underneath decoy along w/a snoose can lid for a flasher. The pike will find it easier and will come up to get it. Be careful when they come up to get it so your not throwing your spear when they are looking up. Slowly pull your decoy away from them so they level out first. A rattle of some sort instead of a bell should work just as well.

psegriz-neat idea about the snoose can lid and bell. Does one work any better then the other or do you use them both at the same time? Do you just tie a lie from you harness to the bell and lid then?

Owen-I don't have a box for my spear just a cover for the tines. Might be kinda neat to get one though.

My buddy dropped off my spears that he has been raving about for the last month. They are great, but, they are the same spears I saw for sale in Sauk Center @ Dans Sportshop. They are very, very quality. What seems to set them apart is how nicely weighted they are. The cord connects to the end of the handle via a tapped, brass, connector. The connector has a hole through the middle and the cord is then secured inside the handle.

It seems like a very nice set of spears. Not sure what his "Amish built story" was all about.

I also have my house set to go...I am going to learn how to post a picture and show off my baby.

Cold night tonight:):):)

He's from Melrose and does really nice work. I have an "amish" style spear I've used for for several years but the tines are soft. In other words they will spread. If you want his name and number let me know, he will be at most of the up coming decoy shows too. Mike89

Minnesota Muskie,

I ordered one of Jeremy Kreamer's spears from him yesterday. His spears are one of a kind and very high quality. He said he will be at the Park Rapids MDHA decoy show on November 20th. I believe the show is from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the Park Rapids American Legion, but I can't confirm that to be 100% accurate. Anyone else know anything about the show?

Owen

spearing boy

I attach the snoose lid to the snap that had a spinner blade on it. The bell I've hung above or below the lid. I don't think it really matters as long as when your decoy is swimming the bell acts as a rattle asnd snoose lid throws lots of flash. It helps alot if your minnow is really lively.

Hey guys we kinda let this one sink to the bottom! It's getting real close to season and the water's starting to get hard. At least on the smaller lakes around the Aitkin area here. I'm sure it wont be long as long as the weather keeps up. Thanks Griz for the info about the lid and bell. I'll have to try it. Anyone else have any tips? I'd give some but I've only been spearing for...4 years now and am far from an expert. I just put my decoy down there and swim it every couple of minutes and hope for the best. A guy posted a question about Red Lake and if it was clear enough to spear on. Has anyone ever tried it? I could be doing that while my brother is messing with crappies. Well getting long here. Hope everyone has a good thanksgiving!

spearing boy you beat me to the bump.

If we don't have snow I'll have to cut my hole with an auger so there will be some slush to bank my house with. If we get snow then i'll use chainsaw. On the subject of chainswas drain the bar oil to keep from getting an oil slick if it bothers you. The water and ice is enough lubricant for the bar. Make sure and put bar oil in before cutting wood. I know more than one that forgot.

No ice on Amelia yet...house is near complete, but no ice. It is only a matter of time before my wife catches me sitting in the house looking down at the driveway:(

I am going to try the chew lid idea...guess I will have to get a little pinch between my cheeck and gum....

Hey MNmusky. I wont be able to make it out until the weekend because of school and wrestling matches but Saturday there is a very small, probably 2 acre lake close to Aitkin that should have enough ice for me to bring my portable out. I speared it last year and it's crystal clear and holds some decent northerns. After we get some more ice I'll put my permanant out on Gun Lake. Let us all know guys how you do if anyone gets out tomorrow or anytime this week. Good luck! P.S. Where's this Amelia (sp?) lake located I've never heard of it. Don't worry though I don't plan on spearing it I was just wondering.

Well I had the smoker going most of today but was able to go on the lake for 1 1/2 hours this afternoon. Saw lots of lake creatures but no northerns. It sure was great being out there!! I'll have the smoker going tomorrow but will be out there once more!! Then saturday while the smoker is going once more I'll slide on to the lake some more!! Good luck Spaering Boy this weekend!!