• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Addition to my Family

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met with the foster parents last night. Sounds like she is really going to need some structure as I don't think she has had much in her life. Kind of a sad life and sad story. I'm hoping we are strong enough to take this all on. I feel realy good about it and there can't be a better feeling that to give a child a second chance at life.

Thanks for all the congrats guys and gals.

Thanks. We had a good weekend. She didn't want to stay over Friday night, but she came back yesterday and stayed the night and we took her back after lunch. Took her to the store yesterday and let her pick out a couple of things. I gave her an older MP3 player and my wife got her some songs off of Amazon that she got to pick out. I think she was pretty happy with that cause she spent the rest of the night listening to it and had it in on the car ride back to her foster home.

She's seems pretty quite and a little scared, but that's to be expected. She's very quiet and I think that has to do with so many changes so fast. She seems like a great little girl and I hope she opens up as we go along. So far so good though.

Lizzy is a little stand offish yet, but getting closer. When she leaves she asks where she went so she knows. It just takes time with everyone. It's a challange cause I want her to feel right at home but we have to realize it won't happen right away. I do have to say that what I have seen of the foster experience to this point was not good. These kids were allowed to run from after school till 8 or 9 at night. We were told they were stealing things like deordarant cause it wasn't provided. It's sad and makes us want to take in more and give them the chance at life they deserve.

I wish I could help. I wanted to take in foster children but when I started the classes and heard the things these kids have been through then to turn around after a couple weeks and give them back to the people that abused them in the first place and have to keep my mouth shut. I just couldnt do it, I would not have been able to give the child back.

I know DeeDee, and that's why we want to adopt rather than foster. It would be too hard to give the kids up. I get attached too easy and hearing their life is very disturbing. Lets just say that no matter how bad anyone thinks they have it, it's nothing compared to what these children have to go through and it's very sad. I would like to help more and maybe in the future we can.

Thanks guys, we had Pizza last Friday when she came for a visit. I can't get her to tell me her favorite food yet. The foster Mom was of no help either. Tell me how a little girl lives with you for a year and a half and you don't know her favorite food. Anyway, she does like Crab Legs, I think we are going to have those on Sunday. We'll see what we can come up with for tonight.

Shane you really a great guy for taking on such a challenging mission. My first thought was pizza but I see that you have all ready had that so how about spaghetti or mac & cheese.The other thing would be burgers or dogs with some homemade french fries and let her help with the prep. No matter what it will be a slow process till she starts opening up and trusting you with her likes and dislikes.

Thanks guys. Said it before Jim, I ain't nothing special. My wife and I want a family and these kids need homes. It's a win for everyone. I think the fish or hamburger or hotdogs is a great idea. My wife is Italian so she makes her spaghetti from scratch and won't eat out of a jar. But it's tasty that way. I think as she opens up we will find out more and more what she likes. I don't think you can go wrong with some of the classics though. Thanks guys.

Jim, we'll have to get out with you and Lisa again this year. Had a blast at slabfest, don't think I got to talk to you much but had a good converstation with Lisa.