• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size rifle...

Most rifles mentioned here quite frankly are overkill for whitetails. I love my 30-06 but I know its more than I need for whitetails, I shot a bull elk with it two years ago though and I didn't need to go buy another gun because I own the most versitile cartridge ever made. You can get reduced recoil loads to shoot out of it too if you aren't going for an automatic.

As to better small rounds for whitetail, I'd be hard pressed to pick anything other than a .243 or a 25-06. I don't know the 7mm-08 so can't comment on that one.

I have seen elk take 4 180 grians in the boiler room from a 300 Ultra Mag and not show signs of being hit, he went about 300 yards before folding. 3 i the lungs 1 in the heart. 25-06 IMO is way to small for anything bigger than a Whitetail. Personaly I shoot a 300 Win Mag for everything I shoot with a rifle, alot of places are slug gun, a magnum rifle will not destroy anymore meat than a 12 ga slug or expandable broadhead for that matter. I have destroyed both front shoulders on a whitetail with a 12ga but most yotes I have shot with the 300 just left a hole the size of a sharpie at best.

I am going to be shooting a lot of rifles this Sunday trying to figure out which one I want to buy. I will be shooting: 243, 270, 7mm-08, 300 MAG, 308, and maybe I'll try the 30-06 once more. I'm sure my shoulder will be sore on Monday!! grin

Can you let us know what you thought of everything you shot? I am just curious and if you are shooting them all at once you will be able to compare with each being fesh in your mind.

Did the 300 Mage give you more of a dinger in the shoulder than the 30.06?

I had not given that much though. What are some of the differences between the two guns? Does your gun have a muzzle break that your dad's doesn't? Is it heavier? Better recoil pad?

I thought after shooting my 7mm that they would all feel like a dump truck hitting my shoulder but maybe not.

I shoot an Interarms Mark X Dads is a Savage synthetic 110 I think. Mine weighs more yes just under 10 loaded and his just around 7 loaded. Mines got a little longer barrel than his other than that both stock guns. I'm 5'10 145 on a good day at best. My brother shoots a 300 RUM and its a joy to shoot in the 700 LSS. His buddy has a 338 Ruger that was nice with the laminated stock but switched to synthetic now it kicks alot harder. I got my first high power at age 16, a S&W 270 bolt and will take my 300 mag over that round anyday. But then again I love my magnums, dream guns a 30-378 Weatherby.

The 7MM really isn't much smaller than a 300 WM

I just got home from a fine day of shooting. Wow did I shoot.

First I shot a 7mm-08. Nice gun, it's a light gun so it had some kick, fit me pretty good. Then I shot a .308, little more kick but still do-able. Then I shot a .243 - not a problem at all, nice gun but hubby has one of those already. All of the above guns were shot with reloaded ammo.

Shot a 30-06. Not too bad really, but we loaded these ourselves this morning and they were not as powerful as the factory loads. Gun's a little heavy for me to be lugging around in the woods.

Shot a .270 Ruger and really liked the way it shot. Used factory loads. Didn't kick a whole lot. I put on a jelly-like slip-on recoil pad and it felt even better. Nice to use for sighting it in.

And then just for fun, I shot a .44 revolver with a laser scope. Then put a few .44 Mag in it and shot. Pretty fun.

I'm getting prices on the Savage Weather Warrior in a .270 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 with the BDC Reticle; and prices on the Savage .270 composite/stainless package that comes with a Simmons scope. May have a new gun by the end of the week. grin

browning 7mm-08 A-Bolt all the way use for for yotes to deer shot my first mule deer doe in montana with it she was 285 yards she ran not quite 25 yds and dropped i will use nothing but this and no i will hit what im shootin at

I've been shooting a 25-06 for the last few years and have absolutely been loving it. So far it's killed every deer that I shot at except one, and that was my fault (on the run). I've also hunted w/ a 30-30, .243, and a 30-06, and some of you are right, for anything bigger I would probably switch, but I think it's a perfect gun for whities.

Any of the calibers listed here will do the job, as long as you do yours. Ammo availability is something to keep in mind, as some have already pointed out; popular calibers are easier to find, especially in the small town gas/sporting goods store. I have taken deer with 243, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag, and none has worked any "better" as long as I did my part. You mentioned part of your hunting is in brush, if you will be walking through a lot of brush (drives, stalking, etc), a shorter gun is nice for manueverability. A word to the wise: IMHO, DO NOT get a muzzle brake to control recoil as a means to step up to a higher powered caliber. My current gun (Browning BAR 300 WM w/BOSS) came with the standard muzzle brake. Used one year and my ears weren't ringing after a shot at a deer, they HURT! Switched to the BOSS CR (Conventional Recoil, no holes) and it is much easier on the ears. The semiautomatic action takes a lot of the recoil out of the shot anyway, and is still very manageable to shoot, maybe something to keep in mind if you decide on a caliber on the brink of your recoil tolerance. My .02. Good luck!