• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Odd Question

Hossienda

I have a bit of an odd question for this time of year. I am taking a first ever trip to the Boundary Waters this summer and am wondering what the best kind of rod to bring with is. All of the open water rods I currently have are one piece solid graphite.

Is it best to find something like a telescoping rod? Are those even made or am I dreaming of something? A two piece take apart rod? Has anyone ever brought an ice rod up there? Thanks for any input you might have.

-Hossienda

Jim W is right - that same discussion is already happening on the BWCA Forum. Forget the telescoping rod - bad, bad idea. Too many things can go wrong. Regular fishing equipment is used by most - 1 piece, 2 piece, each have their share of fans.

I agree with Jiggy, don't bring anything real nice up there, because they take a beating. I'd also take an extra tip with some of your favorite adhesive so you can replace tips that break off. I've seen it happen more than once.

As far as size, if you are taking only one I'd settle on a medium action spinning outfit, assuming you are going for walleyes and smallmouth.

Buy a 2-rod hard case and strap it under the cross bars of your Canoe--then you can pack 2 of your favorite 2-piece rods without too much worry...

------------------
Chells

They mack pack rods, Diawa has a little rod, light or ltra light action that breaks down and fits into its own case, a hard case at that. I use to have a different kind that I could just thorugh into the car, truck, etc, and be ready. They are a great way to go and inexpensive in comparision to a rod and reel.

I think 2-piece rods are BAD, and would never take them. I always take two, and sometimes 3, 7' 1-piece rods on my Quetico trips and I have never once had a problem. I know several people who have lost the end off of their 2-piece rods on canoe trips, which relegated them to fishing with a jiggle stick.

Most BWCA portages are wide enough that you shouldn't get snagged up. Just take care, that's all. It's worth it IMHO.

I think Chells has the right idea. Buy yourself a hard rod holder or make one out of PVC and strap it to your canoe with velcro or duct tape. You can always use duct tape on a trip anyway. I went on a fly in trip in Canada a few years back and packed in my good rods in a hard case. Best way to go when you get into good fishing. You won't be cussing inferior equipment when you hook a trophy that way.

Good luck!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

I agree. I just went down to the hardware store and bought a length of square pvc drain pipe. Pretty cheap stuff.
You can drill holes in it and attach it right to the cross pieces of your canoe.
I put caps on the ends but if you really wanted to get fancy you could cut a slit so your reel could stay on and then rivet on a couple pieces of velcro to hold the rod in.
Two piece rods are junk in my opinion, but thats just me grin.gif

I believe it depends on how difficult the trip you are taking will be. I personally enjoy a one - portage trip where I don't need to worry about weight...this way I'm not limited to what I bring. I love the Bdub, but I also like to bring my favorite rods and a nice thick steak for dinner.

If you're only bringing 1 rod bring spinning. I'd bring a 1 piece. Just be careful on portages. I've brought as many as 5 rods into canoe country so I can be prepared for walleyes and smallies, pike and lake trout. I bring three now. A walleye/smallie spinning rod, a back-up spinning rod, and a casting rod for trolling lakers and casting for pike. I go to the canoe country to fish. Just my point of view.

It all depends on who will be carrying your rods across the portages.If your fishing with freinds who will be babying equipment bring what you really want to fish with, if the kids or clumsy partners will be hauling the gear buy some 2 piece rods. I really like to fish w/ my one peice fenwick/loomis and can take care of them but usually have a 2 piece ugly stick along for an indestrucatble backup. And yes I knew a guy who brought his 4' ice pike stick up every year but that just seems odd to me? Good luck and have fun!
redhooks

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I never would have thought of bringing along some PVC piping and strapping it to the inside of the canoe. These ideas really make me lean towards bringing a middle of the road setup and my one indestructible one.

Thanks again gang!

-Hossienda