• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$$$ dollars spent on a typical weekend fishing$$$

jigglestick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just thought i'd throw out this little post to see just how much people spend on an average outing, weekend or otherwise, ice fishing.
personally, i used to put on more miles than i do now.(i put on enough during the week latley) but the first couple years to red figured out to about four thousand miles per season :o figure that out at 15-16 miles per gallon.
it is 75 miles to red from home by the time the weekend is over i will have nearly two hunert miles. roughly a tank of gas= @20.00(depending if a pipeline has burst, or a refinery has caught fire, or osama has just lit up another oil well), then it could be ( justifieably) 30.00.
then bait and tackle any where from 10.00 to 50.00. they have the neartest gadgets in them bait shops then the road pass5.00
a couple of warm-ups in the temple 10.00
box of beer for the fish house18.00.
propane 24.00. meals ????? who knows?
this doesn't factor in the things we have collected the things we have been collecting for years, like fish houses, vexilars, dozens of poles, lights heaters, gps, radios,and solicited fishing tips i was kidding...
before i leave home, i grab a hunert bux and that doesn't figure that i fill the truck with the check book, and the cash is close to gone before i get home. good thing, or i may never go home
i was just currious, and thought i start this thread to illustrate the dollars spent, stimulatling the economy.
i know there are those who spend alot more than myself, and i think some would be surprised at the ammounts that show up here.
so with that, let her rip. lets see how much we blow in a weekend( i hope the wives don't read this).
------------------
a proud member in good standing of the International Brotherhood of Triangulists!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

You got it right Jiggle, we fisherman could be rich and retired if we would have put all the money we spent on fishing and fishing related activities in the bank! But what fun would that be? Its about doing good things for ourselves and many times our families (taking the kids fishing). Its about having the piece of mind that you will get some relaxation. Its about sharing experiences and meeting people. Its about telling fish stories. But most of all, it makes us happy. We don't live forever...take advantage of every opportunity! By the way, I bet we could all fish for a fraction of the amount we spend...darn gadgets and toys! Good luck and get the big one!

I really don't know if we want touch the soft spots. But, I'll do some figuring.
1. Bait anywhere from $5-20
2. Gas around $20-45 from St.Cloud to anywhere descent.
3. Lodging $25-50 per night if needed
4. Food Well pale #'s are low so $20 for a full day.
5. Booze well pregame at O'Briens $10. Case $20 Kill bottle $10 $30 per night if your already half in the bag at the bar.
6. Well really it ain't to bad other than the fact that while you and the boys were on the ice the wife got all her bathromm knick-knacks, clothes, a new pair of shoes, and went to a tupperware party.
Is it worth it? Abso######lutely

------------------
searchin skys for eyes

[This message has been edited by onthewall eyes (edited 02-06-2004).]

If it were a "corporation," sport fishing would rank 13th in the Fortune 500 list of America's largest businesses in terms of revenue, placing just above Texaco and DuPont.

1996 U.S. Economic Impact of Sport Fishing in the United States, American Sportfishing Association. grin.gif

Economic figures available from the American Sportfishing Association, confirm once again that fishing is an enduring American tradition for people of all ages and walks of life. Utilizing newly released data from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, the American Sportfishing Association’s latest economic analysis lays out the $116 billion worth of benefits sportfishing brings to our local, state and national economies.

ASA’s report details how forty-five million American’s spent more than $42 billion on fishing tackle, trips and related services in 2001 with each angler spending an average of $1,046 on fishing. In addition, more than one million jobs are related to sportfishing, accounting for more than $30 billion in wages. While these numbers are impressive, what resonates through all the facts and figures is fishing’s tremendous importance to our way of life and livelihood.

grin.gif

If I'm fishing locally within 35 miles. Winter $30.00 per day.
Summer $50.00 per day

If I'm on a trip, I can usually do it for around a $100-$125 per day. Which includes lodging food and travel.

Equipment - For Ice Fishing $1500 for portable, auger, heater, rods and tackle.

Open water is a differnt story.
$25,000 boat
$ 7,000 camper
$ 5,000 boat accesories, tolling motors, etc

20 rods and reels cost plus boxes and boxes of tackle for walleyes, bass, muskie, trout, pan fish, etc. Cost unknown, but I'm sure many thousands of dollars.

And then there is the 2003 F-250.......

How great is this.....I love it.

TS

I saw a pretty funny MPEG file here at work involving a guy breaking down his costs of deer hunting. New 4-wheeler, tags, new gun, etc.....ended up costing him $120+/lb of meat. The basic idea was here he was busting his tail to provide his family with the most expensive meat on the market and his wife wouldn't even thank him for it. For my family anyway, deer hunting is much cheaper than buying meat. We hunt our own farming land and already have all the gear. All we buy each year is the tags and maybe some more ammo.

Mille Lacs (I live south of the cities) Fall Trolling.

Me and a buddy.

Leave work Friday afternoon. (Gas (truck & boat) and McDonalds: $50)
Sit in the Blue Goose.......getting goose'd up: $50
Troll all night with a case of beer and a bag of doritos: $30.
Hotel: $130

Clown Rapala: $5

Catching another big fish in my buddy's Ranger...............Priceless!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

You know on some weekends you spend up to $500 all said and done. For some people that price is more and some its less.

Well anyways some of them fish you catch can be pretty spendy. If you spend $150 one weekend and only catch 10 walleyes thats about $15 a fish!
Just think, I have had numbers of times fish have cost over $20. And I have also had times when fish are dang near free you catch so many (thats when its fun grin.gif ).

Although, I still wouldn't want to know how much I spend on fishing in a year. wink.gif

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Years ago a guy I worked with was telling me that my fishing was a waste of money. That I could buy the fish cheaper. He did this in the middle of telling me about he three rounds of golf he palyed that week. All at different golf courses. Now what would that cost? It couldn't be cheap. Back than a lot of my fishing would be fishing the rivers around where I live for what ever would bite. And those trips included by boys. The bait was free because they would collect the nightcrawlers or dig the worms. He never played golf with his kids.

It is really ironic that this started. I was just explaining to my friend how the all you could eat shrimp at Red Lobster was only $15. He said that he and another friend of mine ate fish that they had caught last weekend and that it was cheaper. I then broke it down, similar to these threads, on how much those fish they had eaten actually cost, compared to endless shrimp for $15. This comparison was based solely on value, not things such as time with friends and the recreational aspect of fishing, for these are priceless. If a person stops and thinks, they are definitely not saving money on their grocery bill by angling.

Interesting topic cuz I just returned from winnie with my oldest son. It was his 9th birthday and he wanted to do "what myself and my buddies do in march on winnie." 2 nites hotel - 175, gas - 75, food -50, access fees - 16, misc. - 50. Thats $ 376 and the fishin wasn't good--- but he had his first battle with the all mighty pout. He landed it(5lbs) on 2 pound test. We will never forget that moment and it took the sting of the $376 away!