• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait option for catfish....

CALVINIST

Ever try bacon? I remember using it on catfish when I was a kid. Then recently my son Lucas wanted to try catfishing so we have been getting out in the Dayton area catching some. Tried the chicken livers, which really calls 'em in, but they are notorious for flying off the hook when casting, so we use thick sliced bacon. It stinks, the kitties love it and it doesn't fall off the hook...it stayed on really good! My son likes to use cut-bait too, so to get more life out of it we take about half a slice of bacon and thread it through the hollowed abdomen and hook either end to the circle hook. Gives it some additional scent for longer life.

My Great Grampa swore by plug tobacco. His technique:

Tear off a plug of Red Man. Toss it into a snag. The catfish will come up and suck it in. Walk a short way downstream of the snag, and when the cat comes up to spit, whack him on the head with a baseball bat.

I regret that I never got to see this in action.

My Great Grampa swore by plug tobacco. His technique:

Tear off a plug of Red Man. Toss it into a snag. The catfish will come up and suck it in. Walk a short way downstream of the snag, and when the cat comes up to spit, whack him on the head with a baseball bat.

I regret that I never got to see this in action.

I'd thought that was a bass technique?

I thought fish hated tobacco. I know they use it with large sting rays that are holding at the bottom. They get right on top of the ray and drop down a second line with tobacco on it. I guess they can not stand it and make a run.

I thought fish hated tobacco. I know they use it with large sting rays that are holding at the bottom. They get right on top of the ray and drop down a second line with tobacco on it. I guess they can not stand it and make a run.

Yup, anyone who has ever caught a stingray or skate will tell you that they are the toughest fish in the sea to reel in, pound for pound, simply because of the way they are built. The biggies in asia stick to the bottom and you can't pull them up, but get a wad of tobacco down near 'em and they'll unstick themselves.