• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid Stupid Stupid Question on sound

HugoBox

I fish muskies alone probably about half the time and for whatever reason some of the most active days (multiple hookups and/or boatside strikes) have been when I'm alone. Maybe I just pick the best times to go out alone - but I also always have the iPod plugged into the radio when I'm alone (I'm terrible company and don't even like to talk to myself!!). Does anyone think vibrations from the hull and music affect things? I don't have an opinion, its just one of the many things that pop into my head when I should be concentrating on my day job!! smile

I'm Sure Vibrations do make a differnce but I highly doubt the Ipod has anything to do with it.

I do think imagination has alot to do with it and if you "TRULY"

believe the Ipod makes a differnce by all means continue to do it!

More power to you!

Go Steve Jobs !

Brian K

I'm not 100% sure that they do, but i speculate that on a calm day in shallow water it would more... you figure sound just causes miniscule water displacement, but I'll bet there is much more in the lake going on that would contend with any sound that your boat makes, minus the motor...

As for you being bad company, from the way you discribe yourself you sound like the perfect fishing partner... that is as long as you can hear me say GET THE NET!

I would have to say that it isn't really going to make any difference what so ever. I know of guys that have BIG stereo systems in their boats, complete with amps and subwoofers, cranking tunes and catching fish. As stated above, I don't think that the vibrations put out are strong enough to have any impact on the fish. Your trolling motor gives off more vibration than your music will.

Of course I have no scientific data to back that up, so it might be the total opposite, which would be just my luck!

hah i agree about the metallica or pantera, suits musky fishing!

if you wanna test this out just do a controlled experiment, fish a few days by yourself with the ipod off

obviously the weather is an uncontrolled variable, but you could do a rough comparison. Or just keep doing what's working:)

Me too... you fish the way you want to, don't get wrapped up in stories, or arguments, or debates on tactics smile

Oh come on, me and my borther never get into arguments while fishing wink hahaha! People would think we are enemies sometimes.... usually over his stupid iPod wink

Well, I have a stereo system in the boat, complete with a subwoofer, as I like to have fun too. I've caught fish with the radio on, but after today I may change my thinking.

Out on 'tonka today we could see the big carp cruising all over, it's spawning time. As soon as I touched the trolling motor pedal, they scattered, even with it set on about 3. So, that must be the sound/vibration of the TM, correct?

Also makes me revisit the question about killing the TM on a follow.

Carp have extremely sensitive lateral lines, I believe they even have their swim bladder connected to something that gives them amazing "hearing" underwater. I've noticed the trolling motor spooks them as well. No idea about how muskies react to it though

Gotta have the iPod going when fishing...it calls them in! There are way more things in the lake like previously mentioned that would scare fish away. Heck, walking around the boat would cause more commotion than the stereo would.