• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane tank in garage?

311Hemi

Is it OK to keep a propane tank in the garage for running my ceiling mounted Modine garage heater, or does it need to be outside. I am getting rid of the big one (400 gallon?) outside because of a $55/year tank rental fee and $75 low usage fee, and just bought a 100 lb tank that fits perfectly in the corner right below the heater (2-3' space between them).

If it needs to be outside, can I lay the tank horizontally or does it need to be vertical?

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Can you adapt your 400 gallon piping to attach to the 100 tank?

Not sure, but I guess I figured I could!!! I have not looked at it yet. The current tank is right next to the garage, and the heater is just inside the garage in that same location. It will only be about 4 feet of pipe to hook up the tank to the heater.

I will put it outside and see what I need to do once Ferral gas removes the old tank.

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi
 Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Can you adapt your 400 gallon piping to attach to the 100 tank?

Not sure, but I guess I figured I could!!! I have not looked at it yet. The current tank is right next to the garage, and the heater is just inside the garage in that same location. It will only be about 4 feet of pipe to hook up the tank to the heater.

I will put it outside and see what I need to do once Ferral gas removes the old tank.

You should be able to just unscrew the connection at the 500 gal tank and it will screw right into the 100 gal tank or for that matter it will screw into a 20 gal.no extras needed.

But will I need a regulator like the old tank had?

I have a female end thats left after they unscrewed the pipe from the old regulator, so if I don't need a regulator I will just have to get a female-male converter and I should be good to go.

The 100 lb tank has a female connection.

OK, I got the line ran outside for the 100lb tank. Looking to hook it up now.

Anyone know what regulator I would need to run this 75k BTU garage heater?

I just got a Maxitrol 325-3-3/8 regulator which is rated up to 10 PSI Maximum Inlet Pressure. I don't really understand what this does, but I assume it keeps the pressure under 10psi.

Would this work...or do I need one with less or more?

Anyone know how long a 100 lb propane tank would run a heater of this capacity? I will only turn it on when I actually working in the garage.....which is not all that often.

You should be good at 10psi with LP. The tank needs to be out side. It also neehs to be chained to provent it from tipping over and making a nasty projectile. If it is on the driveway you will need to install a protection system to proctect it from getting hit. If you do all this you will meet fire code NFPA 54 and NFPA 56.

O....a regulator takes the pressure form the tank(it can vary from fill level and temp from 10psi to 200psi)in your case it will be 10psi max.

As far as how long it will last, you will just have to find out.

If you keep the concreat warm all winter like at 50F, it will take less to warm it back up.

Captain Fireman is dead on. Propane does not

freeze", rather when it is cold and you do not have enough exposed surface on the inside of the tank it doesn't vaporize & allow it to be pushed out of the tank to the appliance. I've used vaporizers from heat vendors for LARGE (500,00 BTU +) heaters on jobsites. If you find the 100# tank not able to keep up, I would think it would have to be very cold 1st, then maybe an electric magnetic stick on heater would be enough to have the liguid (propane is pump & handled as a liquid & burned as a gas) Vaporize. As for the draw..I can't remember how many BTUs were in quanity of propane. A propane supplier's city desk should be able to answer you.

Just out of curiosity are you able to pick it up and move it to be filled? I have a 30,000 wall mount with a 30lb tank, and I'll burn through that on a long weekend. If this is a house your staying in and the heater works good, why not just plumb in a dedicated line from the house?

Just out of curiosity are you able to pick it up and move it to be filled? I have a 30,000 wall mount with a 30lb tank, and I'll burn through that on a long weekend. If this is a house your staying in and the heater works good, why not just plumb in a dedicated line from the house?

The tank is a about 1/3 full and I can lift it by myself.....but it is heavy. A full tank may take another guy....but that's not an issue. I can pretty much back right up to it....but it is not on the driveway. It's on the side of the garage. I would plumb in a gas line but it will take a lot of work (no easy way to get the line to the heater and I would need to trench a good distance if I ran it outside), and my Modine heater is too old that they no longer make a LP to NG conversion for it.

Thanks for the info guys!!!! Sounds like I am set...just need to chain it up.

You may want to verify with your insurance agent as well on this, just to make sure nothing gets voided based on distance and the way it was installed etc. Hate to see something happen and then have the ins company find some sort of clause to void payment etc.

Well, there was a 250 gallon tank right where I put this tank (right next to the garage) for probably 15 years. I just got sick of paying a rental fee and low usage fee to Ferrel, so I had them pick it up this spring.

I will look into it though.

As was said it has to be outside standing up. Too late now but you could have taken the regulator off the old tank.

100# tank might not have enough surface area in sub zero temps.

It might not last to long either. What you could do is get another 100# tank and Y them together then a reg. Now you've doubled the surface area plus longer in between fills which brings up another point. If your bringing the tank to be filled you'll pay more then double the price of home delivery prices.

If you have a propane tank for your home you can have the 100# tank filled then. If not you'll need to call around and see who will deliver that small amount. Or if you have a neighbor with propane have them fill yours at the same time.

I would suggest you buy your 500LB. tank out right and not mess with a 100LB tank

Any LP supply CO. will gladly fill it for you.$$$$$$$

ALL the advice you got is great except one thing. YOU DO NOT WONT 10 psi at

you furnace gas valve. You need 10in. of water column NOT PSI. You will over

fire you furnace or worse blow the regulator out of your gas valve. (not good)

You need a Manometer to set your manifold and line pressers!!!

LP gas is not forgiving in any way, shape or form. Call someone who does

LP for a living. And be safe, Would be my suggestion.