• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stocks & Stock tips

Traxxx

Any savvy investors out there? With the power of FM, maybe we can all make a million, retire and fish for the rest of our lives. \:D How about it, what stocks do you guys like?

I leave it to professionals, but I totally applaud those that invest themselves. I tried it once with play money to see if I could do well. I was a huge loser! I like thinking about other things like fishing, rather than fretting over money. The power of saving and investing is not lost on me, I just let others do the work \:\)

Its awesome to sit and watch the pro's do this and then when everything goes down the tubes, get all crazy and try to figure out a way to make the money back.

If you buy the stocks right, you can make some huge dough!

I am a trader for a large financial institution. Simply said this game is not for the average guy. You don't have the information and the bankroll. It takes over $100 million to play the market as a trader because you'll have winners and losers and on average a good trader wins slightly more than he loses. I'm really happy if I win 60% of the time. And always remember this - no one who has a winner shares it until he has made his money. If you are hearing about it's probably too late. Sad but true the market is rigged against the little guy.

I agree, trading stocks and trying to keep ahead of the game is not practical for the amateurs. I saw guys I worked with trying to "optimize" their 401 k by fiddling with their portfolio weekly and loose sleep as well as money over it. I leave it sit and dont worry till I go to retire. That is what the pros are paid to do not me.

I did some back in the late 90's when every one was winning. Now my Ameritrade acct just sits in park. I will probably use it some for mutual funds though sometime in the near future.

Just remember that at anytime on a given stock, half the people are right and half the people are wrong.

Originally Posted By: Wanderer
Granite City Brewery

They're public huh? How long have they been out and what part of the country did they start in?

Pretty sure their first one was in St Cloud. I didn't realize they were a public company either.

I like some slightly leveraged (20-30%) high dividend funds. They invest in corp bonds and high dividend energy stocks and use some leverage to increase returns. They are essentially closed end mutual funds that trade like stocks. Unless you like risk, avoid the real estate ones.

You wont double your money in a year, but they provide some nice returns and relative stability.

Some examples are:

Chartwell Div and Income

Duff and Phelps Utilities Fund

My little solar stock was up $15 today and an overall gain of 200% since I purchased it a few months back. whistle.gif

Just wished I had bought more. \:\(

Now is the time to buy those "green" stocks while the drive is on to make everyone live in grass huts and ride bikes to work. \:\/

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
My little solar stock was up $15 today and an overall gain of 200% since I purchased it a few months back. whistle.gif

Just wished I had bought more. \:\(

Now is the time to buy those "green" stocks while the drive is on to make everyone live in grass huts and ride bikes to work. \:\/

Well let's here what it is! If we all buy some it makes yours go up more lol!