• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Heater Question

The heater cooker is still the #1 set up but the hose can be a bit tricky at times. Although it does still flex well in the cold it does tend to have a bit of memory whenits cold. So if you wrap the hose around the top of the tank like I do, you can expect to have to fudge with the heater inside the shack a bit.

I echo everyone. It's a great set up. Whether it's Paulin or Mr. Heater they both work great. Paulin tends to be a few bucks cheaper. The 5 or 6' hose stays flexible even in the coldest temps. I used to use an upright and worried about burning a hole in my shelter. Since I've switched to the heater/cooker I have no worries. All the goes down and melts the ice and not my shelter.

[This message has been edited by protiller (edited 12-17-2003).]

mr heater/cooker is what I have and its all I could ask it to be....plenty of heat, can cook on it, and takes up little room, can move it around in the shak easily.

takes 30 seconds to get the "memory" out of the hose.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 12-17-2003).]

I use the paulin heater/cooker and it's great. The hose can get stiff at times but it's not an issue. It I need to walk alot, I also switch the hose and tank for one pounders and that makes a nice,lightweight option.

I use the Buddy Heaters in my Otter cabin and a smaller shelter and it works great, but not enough heat for the Otter Lodge.
If your house is the size of the Otter Lodge go with the Heater/cooker.
The 5' hose works great on both heaters with no cold problems.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Looking at portable heating sources for my Fish Trap, and I like the ability to maximize my space inside with the Heater/Cooker from Mr. Heater (and a few other brands) The option that I really like about this is the ability to attach a 6' or so hose and run the propane tank from outside the hut.

My only question is, how is that hose in the winter time? Does it stay flexible? Anyone using this style of a setup and see any other drawbacks?

Steve