• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sharp Tailed Grouse

The brain always convincing you that that next camera would give you the shot you wanted! Just don't let the brain control your hand to reach for the wallet! It's not so much the equipment though it helps, as the guy executing the shot, which you proved here Mike!

Mike, what were your techs on the shot? Did you use the TC or simply the 300 f2.8?

You were just unlucky for the day, and did a nice job of getting what you did. When the sharpies are active they'll drum in good numbers well after sunrise, when ISOs can be dropped into the lower ranges with that fast glass.

Ahhh, I pulled the exif, and it looks to me like you were very patient to wait until you could get that nice shutter speed out of it. Much easier with an actual sunrise than on a cloudy day, and of course if there had been no snow there would have been no metering challenge (good job on that in the snow), since the grouse are the same basic mid tone as the grass.

Are you going back again? If the blind is close enough to the lek, I bet you'll get birds in even closer, too, especially on an active sunny day.

Quote:
Are you going back again? If the blind is close enough to the lek, I bet you'll get birds in even closer, too, especially on an active sunny day
I'll be in the Kettle River blind on May 11th and my friend Tammy was their last weekend and she said there was normally 7 to 8 birds around with the high number of 11. So I'm VERY optimistic about that location. When these birds decide to leave, they leave fast and don't look back. I did have the 1.4x on the camera.

LeeKen, sharpies originally were distributed pretty widely across the Midwest, though they've always been a meandow/prairie bird. There were and are quite a few places in the Midwest with open space mixed with woods where they are found.

Steve is correct. Crex meadows used to be THE place to go... but predators and Pheasants have really driven there numbers down in that area, atleast thats what the main office people there told me. I saw so many raptors when I was their and I know the Owl population is strong... they've got alot of eyes on them.

The Zim and Meadowlands area has a nice little population too. I think the main reason they do ok there is because there are no pheasants to compete with and the DNR has a couple Wildlife Management Areas set aside for them. Pheasants are very agressive gamebirds and they are also nest parasites, they will dump there eggs anywhere so they can outcompete the sharpies.

Actually, I've been there before - so I knew what I was getting. Weather was uncooperative. I had to shoot at ISO 1000 the entire time and still struggled to get reasonable shutter speeds. Make sure you have at least 600mm. I attempted to throw my 1.4 TC on the 100-400 and still would have wished for some additional length.

Good luck and I hope you have good light.

Michael, it's too bad the blind is so far from the lek. I've spent time over the years in three sharptail blinds. Two of them were so close to the birds that 200mm would have been enough. The third would only have required 300mm. As long as a person goes into the blind in the dark and waits for the birds to leave the lek before exiting the blind, the grouse are fine with a blind that close.

I wonder why that one is so far away from the action.