• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking at a new wheeler?

Dahitman44

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm posting like a smart-butt tonite, but I wasn't saying that I disagreed on the steel vs. aluminum frame thing. You are right. \:\)

I just meant that it looks like it acted like aluminum the way it crumpled. When I looked at the Can am the first time, to me I concluded it was a sport bike with 4wd. That under-carriage looks weak, IMO, for a 4x4 machine.

As for the Swamp Foxes, I just noticed that they are the tires on the BF that's on the Moose webpage and magazine ads. I have been looking for that tread for a long time, but couldn't figure out what tire it was.

That's the thin walled steel. Many people were questioning this on the first machines that came out.

It wouldn't hurt the machine too bad to use thicker material. If I were to purchase one, it wouldn't leave the dealership without a good set of skids under it.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
As for the Swamp Foxes, I just noticed that they are the tires on the BF that's on the Moose webpage and magazine ads. I have been looking for that tread for a long time, but couldn't figure out what tire it was.

Same as what I have on the Rinnie except mine aren't the Swamp Fox Plus.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
People can call them what they want, but IMO, Can Am has to be the boldest manufacturer out there with the diversity they've offered in there line-up the last few years.

Ahem,,,,,,, just to bring to light the last 6 years of atv's.......... The Outlander is almost a direct copy of the Kawi. It just has an aluminum frame, trailing arm suspension which is also independant and 51+ more cc's. Not to mention $2000 more in cost.

Not to ba smart a** but I dont really see the similarity between a Kawi and Can am. The rear suspension is totaly different, front is similar but they all are except for a Polaris. Correct disign is totaly different. I supose the gas tank is similar since they are both in the rear but I guess I dont see them as a "direct copy"

I see your point Dozer, and yeah, I went too far saying that.

If you look at the Bombardier 650 from back in 2002 to the new outlander, it resembles the Prairie quite a bit.

Rear gas tank

Front bumper is similar

Lights are similar to prairie

big bore Vtwin

handlebar controls are exactly the same

covers on the racks, similar to prairie

fenders are similar to BF

digital display is very similar

trailing arm suspension that is shaft drive

I should have said that the Prairie set the bar very early for the above 500cc machines.

I see your point Dozer, and yeah, I went too far saying that.

If you look at the Bombardier 650 from back in 2002 to the new outlander, it resembles the Prairie quite a bit.

Rear gas tank

Front bumper is similar

Lights are similar to prairie

big bore Vtwin

handlebar controls are exactly the same

covers on the racks, similar to prairie

fenders are similar to BF

digital display is very similar

trailing arm suspension that is shaft drive

I should have said that the Prairie set the bar very early for the above 500cc machines.

My buddy has a prairie with 589's on it that ruled the mud hole until IRS came out. Hes still got it and it has been a great machine! You must be refering to the original 650 Traxter from 2002? They even had the radiator in the rear! Dont see that everyday. My father has an 03 400 outlander with the cheap plastic racks, not impressed but an 04 has steel ones if I remember right. The biggest problem with them is the visco lock which isnt that great on the pre 07s. Supose to be alot better on the 08s but havent seen one for myself. They also have some frame issues but there are reinforcement kits to fix that. Personaly when it comes time to replace the grizzly its going to be a toss up between a 700 grizzly and a 650 outlander if they come out with power steering. Wont be a renagade because I dont want to get that dirty! \:D Gotta have fenders and racks! But I kinda have a biased opinion since Ive 7 ski-doos and have always been a beliver in BRP. If they would have come out with the 650 outlander a little sooner I would probly have one right now instead of the grizzly.

No real advantage except price. I feel like even the 500 would have enough power for me. The real fun for me is in the mud so I really dont need the power of the 800, but it sure would be nice! cool.gif

Maybe I'm posting like a smart-butt tonite, but I wasn't saying that I disagreed on the steel vs. aluminum frame thing. You are right. \:\)

I just meant that it looks like it acted like aluminum the way it crumpled. When I looked at the Can am the first time, to me I concluded it was a sport bike with 4wd. That under-carriage looks weak, IMO, for a 4x4 machine.

The smashed wheeleer looks like a outlander to me, with the tires on backwards

They just forgot to add the best parts...........Sealed rear wet brake, and seperate brake levers.

I think you might have FINALLY found something,,, the brakes on the outy suck,,,, make a terrable noise, worse when wet..

My visco is just fine,.

The engine brake is the best I've had trying to manuver down a STEEP hill seems front and backs tires act equal,,, as in the polaris I had,, the back tires would just skid down the hill

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
Aluminum frame only if your talking about the DS450.

I heard that cant-am changed the name of this quad to the DNF-450

just thought I would add some more fuel to the fire \:D

For the money they want for a Can Am they should have the skid plates on them already! They do have some good features, but they are too expensive. Also, from what I've heard the 650 is not to far behind the 800 in power and speed.The 650 will beat 700's as well as some 750's and the popo 800!

I looked at getting a canned ham before. I went and talked to service guy and he said don't buy one. Too many problems. He told me to keep with the hondas. I assumed he was unbiased because this dealer sells both. I do eventually want to get a really fast one and for now can-am has that going for them, but I'm not about to trade up for an expensive atv that's going to give me headaches. You'll have problems with every machine, no doubt, but I'd like to keep mine to a minimum.

the dealer i bought mine at sells 4 brands and the can am is there best seller and the brand that requires the leas amount of repair. ive had ski-doo products since i can remember. they just keep going....going.... and going. besides you guys need to fight nice now. hehehe. this is kind of like which beer is better.

If you look at youtube, you'll find almost any race. The BF750 will beat an outty 650 even with big tires, if it has a cdi. I'm not sure if it's allowed to post youtube vids here or not.

Im kinda suprised a rinnie will catch a 500. A 650 will wax my 660 and makes my buddies 700 sprotsman look silly. I bet it would give a stock Brute a run for its money! Roofers not going to like that! ;\) Everyone talks about how weak the frames are but I would really like to know what happened to the one in the pic Roofer posted, I bet he hit something really hard. Looks to me like it could have been any wheeler and you would have had problems. People talk about the same types of issues on Ski-Doos in the REV chassis, there is a part in the front they call the "Flying Nun" which the a-arms mount to. There are alot of people that bend them and have problems but I ride mine like I stole it, rolled in the ditch a couple times and even went down the mountain by itself once and slamed into a ravine and never had a problem. I even hit a tree in Island Park ID that broke my ball joint and bent my a-arm and it didn't bend the "Nun". BRP spends alot of R&D time and I feel the put out one of the best machines on the market. Anybody that makes a 500 compete with 650s a 650 that competes with 750s and an 800 that competes with 950s is doing something right IMO. 15 years ago nobody had ski-doo sled and today they are the best selling one on the market, I think there wheelers are on the same track.

He's crazy!

'08 Brutes are down to 6599 plus tax, license.........I'm sure an '08 Sp 800 is close to that.

You should be able to get that for 6300 plus tax, license, and add in $350 for the winch. This should be with no trade in at all. I would just try to buy it and sell your 400 local or keep it for someone else.

Dozer, I'll have to agree with you on the 750 vs. 650. They would be close, but a 750 will win for sure. If the Sp800 would be a little lighter, it would give them all a good run, but speed isn't everything on a 4x4 atv.

On radar runs, the 750, 800, and 950 are all very close in stock form.

Just out of curiousity how fast do they run in radar runs? How far do they run? Where did you see it at? Like you said though its not all about speed, personally I have a alot more fun in low range up to the racks in the mud and that doenst take alot of HP. Anyway back to the topic this thread was started for: $6300!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to trade?????????????? WOW!!!!!!!I knew it would be bad but that is just crazy! I would tell him he can keep his 2 year old wheeler and walk away never to return! eek.gif