• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking at a new wheeler?

Dahitman44

I was looking at a holdover 2007 800 sportsman -- dealer wants 7,100 (so I hear). It is black and pretty decked out with extras including winch, front guard and rifle scabboards.

What do you think of that machine?

I want more power and was not impressed with my 2004 in the snow this year pulling the fish house. It should be a good trade in -- it only has 500 miles.

Any thoughts as to what I can hold out for on this deal?

Thanks

Hit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad price with the extras. the best I found when looking last fall was 6399 plus license, tax, etc....

Seems they are right in the ball park.

Somethingfishy has an '08. He could probably tell you for sure how that is for pricing. I think he traded a SP500 in for it.

What are you trading in?

I paid $7500 for a stock 2008 Mossy Oak Sportsman 800. Price seems ok depending on some things. One thing to keep in mind is they increased the power output in the 2008 800's over the older ones.

I would try to negotiate to see what better they can do. If you feel it's the right by then get it and post some pictures once you do.

Thanks guys --

I am trading in a 04 sportsman 400 with ONLY 500 miles on it. It is used for moving the ice house, giving kids rides and hunting only.

What should I get for that and have to pay to boot?

Any chance I can pay just $1200 ish to boot or is that way out of line? They say they could sell my wheeler in a heartbeat.

I traded in my 06 Sportsman 500 EFI with winch and some other extras back in December and got $4400 for trade in. I think you'd probably look to get around $3000 on trade in $3500 if the dealer is really trying to make the sale. I think paying $1200 to boot would be an ambitious pipe dream. Whatever you decide, Good Luck.

The 2008's have additional heat shielding from the exhaust. I am unsure of the specifics of the additional power, I just know it was to compete better with the can-am's.

Starting in Below Zero weather can be a challenge for any machine. The variables play to much into it. Mine has started everyt time I turned the key even in poor weather but I also only purchased it in December so the battery is still fresh.

You'll definitely end up spending a few grand plus your trade. They did give you some leverage though in stating that they could sell it right away.

I haven't heard too much bad about the 800's. It will definitely be a power upgrade from moderate acceleration to lifting the front end in the air when you pin it.

Any machine will have issues when it gets below zero. The EFI will definitely help.

i had a 400cc yamaha since 1990 and that started in any kind of weather. coldest i remember 22 below. same battery. i just sold it and buoght a 2008 bombamadier 500cc max xt. 2 seater efi winch windshield hitch for $9350. hear the can-am is now the route to go. always bee a ski-doo fan, really liked my yamahe wheeler.

whoofda, if I had 9350 into mine, I could race you all in reverse and still win.

Those CanAms better be nice for that money.

Fishy, in order for Popo to compete with canam, they need to add a diamond coated bumper or something to get the price up. ;\)

Glenn, I know you bought that machine for different reasons. The CanAm has a top notch engine in any size and great suspension. I also realize it comes with a winch and bumper and is a 2-up. Different needs for everyone.

It just blows my mind when I see those prices.

i hear ya on the price, the xt also comes with aluminum rims and more agressive tires. the 2 up makes more spendy. my wife and kids and grandkids like to ride it so it fit our needs more. should of spent money on house. oh well priorities.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44

I know they REALLY want to get rid of this unit for some reason. and maybe that will help me out.

Thanks again.

Any other thoughts out there?

They really want to get rid of it because in a month or so, that model is two years old and still on the floor. For one, it doesn't look good having the flagship atv for Polaris on the floor at 2 years old with no miles. There are reasons for that, and it's not because it is a bad machine. It's because Polaris forces too many on dealers.....Anyways, the second reason is that this dealer has probably been paying interest on that machine for a year now just trying to sell it. That's why it has the additional accessories on it. "Dress it up and sell it."

IMO, it's a great way to get a good deal on a brand new machine. I would try to get him down a bit on the price like the others said.

Personaly Ive never been a fan of carryovers, wheelers arnt so bad but sleds are terrible! One thing you have to remember is in a couple months it will be a 2 year old machine. Once you put a couple miles on it the value will drop significatly. If you could to wait a couple months till the new ones come out then even with a couple miles on it it is still the newest one out. If you want to trade again in a year or two you will be money ahead having a newer one in the long run I think because you would be trading a 2 year old machine versus a 4 year old machine.

That's probably true for an atv. You can also think about it like this.....You have a two year old machine that you got for a discount price with no miles on it. Miles don't seem to mean alot with wheelers though.

2007 model with 1000 miles

2009 model with 1000 miles

Traded in, in the year 2010. Which one looks more used? With a car or truck the miles mean a little more.In all actuality, they are used the same amount, but if you look at a 2007 with 2500 miles compared to a 2007 with 1000 miles, it looks different. The guy with 2500 miles probably paid more also because he bought it sooner.

Just saying you can look at it two ways.

Kelley blue book says trade in value at $2540. Take the price of the new one, subtract 2540, add tax, license (20), setup (150)........you'll be pretty close to where you will be at. I have yet to see a dealer give more than KBB value.

I know it looks terrible. That's why I always say to use an atv as much as possible unless you plan on keeping it for more than 5 years. After 5 years they level off. Under 5 years, it's a kick in the teeth feeling, and it doesn't seem to matter how much you used it.