• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prefered rod for crappies/panfish

I have a 7' ML Gander Guide Series rod with a Pfleuger Trion reel. I usually spool with 4lb. Trilene XL, but I will be trying some flourocarbon lines this year. Love the casting and hook setting with the longer rod

sounds like a good setup but dont use the p-line floro. I found the knot strength to be weak tried it this winter. Was a good string except for that tried another brand in same size both 4# and was alot better.

I have a Gander Mtn 6&1/2 ft. graphite with 4# fireline for throwing jigs and a 7ft. whippy glass rod for slip-bobber fishing with 4#mono. I tried 2#mono and it was great for Crappies but Bass kept running off with my jigs.

Hey Coach, if you use the rod at all for bobber fishing, do not get fluoro. The fluoro line sinks and it will seriously limit your fishing capabilities on a panfish rod. If I were you, I would go with a mono or copoly main line, and if you are worried about visibility, tie on a fluoro leader.

The only reason to use a full spool of fluoro for panfish is a rod dedicated to just deep jigging, or casting micro cranks and spinner baits. Other than that, you are better off with the mono.

Polarsusd81--Thanks for the tip. I am a big slip float/bobber guy so I will stay away from the flouro. I used some p-line this winter for perch and loved the way it fished, so I was gonna try that, but I will maybe try the leader thing. I just wanted to see if the visibility made a huge difference of not.

Thanks for the help.

I just made a 6 foot super UL out of a 2 wt fly rod blank, i'm excited to get out and try it. Otherwise I use a 7 foot ML, a 5 ft UL, or a 6 foot L action - depends on what I'm doing.

/ok, I have way too many rods

Since I am a guy who is just fresh out of college, I have a cheap setup. I rock a 5 1/2 foot Shakespeare Micro Graphite with a Shimano Sedona 750FB reel with 4# Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting line. Obviously not top of the line, but catches fish which is all I can ask for! So please don't laugh too hard!! Ha!

I would go with a 4wt fly rod. Yeah I used to be a huge fan of flourocarbon till yesterday when my knot failed on me twice on two big catfish mad.gif ....Maybe i just don't know how to tie a good knot.

What??

I used to use a Zebco 33 and plastic rod. LOL's

I laugh about that now, when I outfished all the other guys with their open face spinning combo's.

plus the one time I lost the top piece casting...actually I was jigging on top of a dam.

7' Shimano Clarus Light action with a 1000 series Shimano Symetrie reel. Spooled with 3# P-Line Flouroclear. Absolutely love this combo. Casts far and really picks up the line fast on those long hook sets.I have even used this setup for rigging Walleye on those tough bite days. Would like a little smaller reel but you lose some castability with the smaller reels. If it catches fish that is all that matters. To each his own.

A new set up I just put together is an Okuma Celilo 7'6", Light action with an Abu Garcia Cardinal 101. Two spools, one with Berkley Vanish 6lb. and the other Trilene XT 4lb. I plan on using it for some crappies/gills eventually. Put it to the test vs. nice redhorse and a few small carp recently, what a blast! It should be a fun combo against some slabs as well.

I have (2) 6' St. Croix UL with Flueger Trions with 2lb. fireline on one, and 2 Lb. mono on the other. A 3lb. northern will really make it interesting sometimes...

I use a 9' 4 wt fly rod with a spinning reel from one of my ice rods on it (or of course a regular fly reel). I keep saying I'm going to build a light spinning rod on a fly blank, but never seem to get around to doing it. I like fishing with long rods, I think I get better hook sets and play the fish better.